Author Topic: Blocks in XREF scale differently when REFEDIT'ing  (Read 2544 times)

JCTER

Blocks in XREF scale differently when REFEDIT'ing
« on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:25 AM »
See attached pics.

In screenshot #1 you can see the purplish colored 2D block below the brown 3D version of itself, with the red Datum block on it.  That puplish block is inside an overall XREF'd dwg that is attached to the drawing I have open.

When I 'REFEDIT' that dwg to move the block or do whatever else I need to, the block is scaled 1/1000.

You can see where I've highlighted the location of the blocks (all blocks are scaled 1/1000 about their insertion point) and you can see how tiny they are -after- the REFEDIT is begun in the second screenshot.

My units in the container drawing are set to millimeters, my units in the XREF'd dwg are meters.

It's a real PITA and I'm wondering if there is something I'm doing wrong.  I've never had this problem before, and I know I've had drawings with differing units before all XREF'd together and what not.

JCTER

Re: Blocks in XREF scale differently when REFEDIT'ing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
Autocad 2012 vanilla, nothing added on, nothing fancy.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
James, I don't mean to stray the topic, but since you have it displaying the 'old' way: what's the system variable so when edit something, it shows up as a toolbar, etc. instead of using the ribbon?
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
James, I don't mean to stray the topic, but since you have it displaying the 'old' way: what's the system variable so when edit something, it shows up as a toolbar, etc. instead of using the ribbon?
MENUBAR is a 0/1 sysvar that'll give you the old menus back.  RIBBONCLOSE will hide the hideous monster :)  I assume RIBBONCLOSE will also make context TOOLBARS show instead of context-ribbon panels/tabs.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to get used to the ribbon if I'm going to use CADWorx as they seem to be developing the buttons/tools that direction.  Oh well.  Probably best to do so as most every software platform is getting more and more ribbon-based.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »
Yeah, Civil 3D 2011 really wants you to utilize the ribbon.
Actually, at FDOT beta training last year, Lynn Allen opened and asked for a show of hands who still doesn't use the ribbon. My table happened to be right in front. When we all raised our hands, she halfheartedly chastised us until we informed here we were still running 2009.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
check the relationship of units and INSUNITS betwixt the two files
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:42 AM »
Sadly, I think I'm going to have to get used to the ribbon if I'm going to use CADWorx as they seem to be developing the buttons/tools that direction.  Oh well.  Probably best to do so as most every software platform is getting more and more ribbon-based.

You have two monitors?  Detach and slide the ribbon to the second monitor.  It frees up a lot of screen real estate on the main monitor'/editor.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »
I have it set so that things work properly, I just don't see why things would appear differently when REFEDIT'ing.

This didn't happen in previous releases AFAIK.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »
I have it set so that things work properly, I just don't see why things would appear differently when REFEDIT'ing.

I wasn't asking if it 'worked' properly when you insert your blocks.....it is still possible that the settings are such that when you refedit...there is a multiplier being applied

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »

I wasn't asking if it 'worked' properly when you insert your blocks.....it is still possible that the settings are such that when you refedit...there is a multiplier being applied

No, that's exactly what's happening.  That's why I pointed out the 1/1000 and 'millimeter/meter' specifics in the OP.

It just appears to be doing things wrong.