Author Topic: Database Question?  (Read 4212 times)

hmspe

• Bull Frog
Re: Database Question?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »
I only took a brief look and did not notice that you had applied the 65% factor to the entire load.  The text in the 2005 NEC reads, "It shall be permissible to calculate the load for commercial electric cooking equipment, dishwasher booster heaters, water heaters, and other kitchen equipment in accordance with Table 220.56. These demand factors shall be applied to all equipment that has either thermostatic control or intermittent use as kitchen equipment. These demand factors shall not apply to space-heating, ventilating, or air-conditioning equipment."  The ice maker and coolers will be thermostatically controlled and will fall under 220.56 for diversity.  Whether everything in the panel falls under "intermittent use as kitchen equipment" depends on how the local authorities interpret "intermittent". 

I'm a PE so I see things differently from a contractor.  My first priority is to protect the safety of the public.  I generally calculate loads without a diversity factor first and see where it falls.  In this case, using the numbers you have, I would have called for a 400A panel based on 394.0A load and stopped there since 400A is a standard size that is stocked.  The next smaller commodity size is 250A/225A/200A depending on manufacturer.  300A is not a commodity item where I live.  If the first load calc was 430A I would apply 220.56 to see if I could safely get the load under 400A, but I would not try to reduce 394A to under 300A.  I personally do not subscribe to the design philosophy of installing everything at Code minimums or at minimum first cost.  In my experience going cheap up front costs more in the long run.  I'll getoff the soap box now...

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
Thanks so much for you insight.
I certainty don't want to take chances. As you can see I know just enough to get in trouble. 8-)
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

hmspe

• Bull Frog
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 12:01:35 AM »
Thanks so much for you insight.

Any time.  Thanks for the help you've given my attempts at lisp.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman