Author Topic: Google Earth 6 image color gone when inserted in C3D 2011  (Read 3968 times)

sourdough

• Bull Frog
Google Earth 6 image color gone when inserted in C3D 2011
« on: April 05, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Hi all
    I just updated to Google Earth 6 and found my color image when inserted into C3D 2011 is greyscaled, is there a way to retain the color of the image I see from Google Earth? Last version of Google Earth worked fine with retaining color, I thought. Is there a setting that will fix this?

MJP
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:54:51 PM by sourdough »
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Google Earth 6 image color gone when inserted in C3D 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi all
    I just updated to Google Earth 6 and found my color image when inserted into C3D 2011 is greyscaled, is there a way to retain the color of the image I see from Google Earth? Last version of Google Earth worked fine with retaining color. Is there a setting that will fix this?

MJP

The Help file reveals:

NoteThe imported image is displayed as grayscale in the application.

So the 'only' fix will be to use whatever version you were using.

OR

call your Autodesk dealer and complain loudly every day for a month.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
IIRC this is a limitation imposed by Google, not Autodesk. I don't recall ever getting color images from Google Earth import....

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »
IIRC this is a limitation imposed by Google, not Autodesk. I don't recall ever getting color images from Google Earth import....
me, neither...thus the quote from the Help File.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 11:53:39 PM »

The company I work with just started to use Google earth because they used other resources that were in color.
So, finding out that now that it can't is disappointing. Thanks for the clarity.

MJP

Win 10 64bit

Wedding

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:41 AM »

This is correct, it is a limit in the GE API that is imposed on us by Google. If you're unhappy about this, call your Google dealer and complain loudly every day for a month.

There are methods for swapping out the greyscale for color. Google it.  ;-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:32 AM »

This is correct, it is a limit in the GE API that is imposed on us by Google. If you're unhappy about this, call your Google dealer and complain loudly every day for a month.

It's a free product, and thus no dealer to complain to.
This would be a failing of autodesk to leverage the most out of both the technology and their relationship with Google.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »
basically you need to import the image, and take a color image out of GE, the swap them out File>>Save Image (of the same view)

sort of a drunken country line dance
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
It's a free product, and thus no dealer to complain to.
This would be a failing of autodesk to leverage the most out of both the technology and their relationship with Google.
It's not free if you are legally using the data in a work environment.....

Last I heard, the GE API was not written specifically for Autodesk's use. So, while Adesk may have more weight to throw around than you or I alone, Google would likely need more companies who utilize the API to complain .

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »
I understand the principal Jeff, however the concept is still skewed.
Whilst some may be using the GE imagery illegally in their work.
That should not preclude autodesk from suggesting that their product would be of greater use to their customers if the color images were the default.  Given that they (autodesk) tout the ability to use GE images and surface data within their flagship Civil product.
Sort of like buying a Bugatti, only to discover it has only an AM radio with one speaker.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
My understanding is that Google licenses their imagery from many different providers, and that THEIR licensing limits their ability to place the color images out via the GE API. I think the better analogy would be that you're essentially asking Bugatti to reach (and pay for) licensing deals with every artist that you might possibly want to play on the included sound system.

Directly regarding imagery, I believe the cost of having those licenses in place would be prohibitive and many users would argue that they don't need/want to play with high-res aerial imagery, so therefore they shouldn't pay for it. We leave the option to you to acquire and/or pay for the imagery you need when you need it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
Directly regarding imagery, I believe the cost of having those licenses in place would be prohibitive and many users would argue that they don't need/want to play with high-res aerial imagery, so therefore they shouldn't pay for it. We leave the option to you to acquire and/or pay for the imagery you need when you need it.
So autodesk uses deceptive language regarding ones ability to use GE data.  In that they fail to disclose the limitations in product demonstrations.
So you let us discover that we need the option to purchase color imagery after you tell we can use GE.

As to your version of the radio analogy; if Bugatti would have installed our damn Sirius enabled radio we would be paying those artists their royalties through our subscription fees.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »

Thanks Jim.

MJP

Win 10 64bit