Author Topic: Vault yeah or neah  (Read 21770 times)

sinc

Re: Vault yeah or neah
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 08:29:55 AM »
This thread was entertaining.

A regular afternoon swamp opera...

Just call it "General Inhospital".  Or "As the Swamp Ribbits"...   :-)

JCTER

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Sorry folks.  I have a particular interest in this type of software - the boss and I are having some troubles with a particularly error prone guy we work with and equal blame falls on our communication methods so we're trying to fix this.  Vault is one thing I'm looking into and the thread got my blood pressure up at a certain point, I guess.

StykFacE

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Happens to all of us dude. No worries. Just shows your passion for your line of work, which is a good thing. ;)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
This is what I hear from users I train, and companies I support.
"Son, where'd you learn to bash Autodesk like that?"

"You alright.  I learned it by watching you!"

(reminded me of those anti-drug commercials from the 80's)
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

JCTER

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2011, 09:43:53 AM »
 :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:39 AM »
The bad news is Vault is NOT going to correct that error prone persons ways.
It will simply give you back up copies of back up copies of back up copies, of every file he or she touches.
Which a good file back up system is already doing for you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
I think I'll just wait and talk to my reseller and Mr Wedding about it and see.

If you have any alternate suggestions of positive directions to advance, rather than telling me the brick wall you see in Vault then I'd prefer that.  Unless I missed it, I haven't seen you do anything but trash one product.  Proposing a better alternative, and why it's perceived as better, would be preferred.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
The bad news is Vault is NOT going to correct that error prone persons ways.
It will simply give you back up copies of back up copies of back up copies, of every file he or she touches.
Which a good file back up system is already doing for you.
No software can do that.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

sinc

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I don't particularly care one way or the other about what happens with Vault.  And I can see the new features James mentioned being welcome for some companies, especially if it allows them to solve WAN issues with a less-expensive solution than things like Riverbed Steelheads.

The big thing I don't like about Vault is actually not directly related to Vault itself.  It's that the Vault has evidently led Autodesk to think they don't need any Project Management within Civil 3D, and that thought process has led them a long way down a bad path.  And that has a negative impact on EVERY user of C3D, even the ones that are using Vault.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:50 AM »
A couple of things I detest about Vault.
One it still relies on user input to update who, what, and why the file was checked out to be edited MANUALLY.
Which if people were doing this out of habit already there would be no need for a vault like product to exist.
The other being the once a user checks a file out, they can simply close the file, and it never gets checked back in.
So there is still a lot of MANUAL input required for vault to really do it's job.

The other MAJOR issue as I, and now SINC have pointed out, it is NOT and does NOT provide any form of project associativity, or functionality for users of Civil 3D.  It also doesn't allow sharing of Point data as a Data shortcut; still.
If they (autodesk) would listen to the customers, admit the shortcomings of applications and REMOVE or IMPROVE based on that feedback I wouldn't have the same complaints today about Vault as the First time I installed tested, and then removed it from my computer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 06:06:34 AM »
Yesterday I had a training in Civil3D 2012 and there was a short note about Vault.

Vault will disappear and not be available as free for subscriptioners anymore. Instead of that there will be Vault Collaboration or something, which will cost per user an amount. As far as I understand it is not compatible. So people who invested last year in Vault do have a little problem now and hire someone to import and export data.

I did not see the new software but they've told me it is much better (but as long as people can check drawings out and forget them to place back and keep working sets on their own harddisk, I really don't think it is better software).

At least I do not think more positive about it after yesterday.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2011, 06:07:53 AM »
Btw, in the new software there should be possibilities for data shortcuts, as they claim. Did not see the implementation though.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
Btw, in the new software there should be possibilities for data shortcuts, as they claim. Did not see the implementation though.
A key missing feature in the current and all past releases of vault, no short cuts for point data, and I asked this question directly and got no answer.  So I will not assume that points can be shared, as surfaces and alignments, etc can be.
Interesting to note the PAY version will be incompatible with all previous versions.
The business case for Vault becomes even less compelling.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Wedding

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
Yesterday I had a training in Civil3D 2012 and there was a short note about Vault.

Huiz,

I think you perhaps misunderstood some of the information you were given. Vault will continue to be available for Civil 3D subscribers. The base Vault product have the same level of functionality as the version of Vault that we have offered to AutoCAD Subscription customers for a number of years. Existing users of Vault will be able to continue to use their data and drawings without change, and users who decide to upgrade can be easily moved. There will not be an import-export required, nor will customers have to pay someone to move their data. The one change is that base Vault (available as a Subscription benefit) does not understand the Civil 3D model and will not create references or shortcuts.

The main change is that Vault Collaboration AEC will be a for-pay product and includes the new functionality as I described earlier in the thread. This product ties in at a much lower level to the Civil 3D model than ever before, i.e. you can see which drawings make use of a particular alignment object via the reference mechanism, and you can see which objects are being referenced in a drawing all from the Vault application. The data shortcut mechanism within Civil 3D will be similar to in past releases where you used the Prospector Projects branch to create references, so that's not particularly new.

If you are an existing Vault customer, worried about how this change will effect you, or if you are interested in learning about how Vault could perhaps help your company, please send me a PM and we'll take this off the Swamp. Thanks.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2011, 11:07:26 AM »

If you are an existing Vault customer, worried about how this change will effect you, or if you are interested in learning about how Vault could perhaps help your company, please send me a PM and we'll take this off the Swamp. Thanks.

In the interest of full disclosure why would you take the conversation about Vault, and or it's replacement product away from this discussion? Starting a new thread I can understand.  Hiding the details in some offline discussion, seems to be very disingenuous.
What are you trying to hide?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell