Author Topic: Vault yeah or neah  (Read 21772 times)

drizzt

Vault yeah or neah
« on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:47 AM »
First, We are a small company with 7 seats, only a couple of us really use Civil 3D though. Is it worth it to utilize Vault. Looks like a lot of brain damage to learn, but I could be mistaken.

As you all know, I value your opinions and appreciate any feedback on this!

drizzt

Re: Vault yeah or neah
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:53 AM »
ps. I know there is a lot of commentary here about vault, just thought it would be a good idea to get an updated opinion, in case some of you with experience changed your mind one way or another.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »
I can't speak for all depts. but ours does not use Vault.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
I have advised no, at our company. So we don't use it.

But if you all are willing to use it and use it in the right way, then why shouldn't you use it. It's free software :-)
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:31:18 AM »
It's free software
You get what you pay for.   :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Birdy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
It's free software :-)
Since when?
It's free with any purchase of Autodesk software over $5,999  :-D
The Vault product line consists of 4 products so that users can get just the right features they need at just the right cost. The base version of Vault comes free with most Autodesk CAD products.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=13433205

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
Even for a 'large' CIVIL Engineering office Vault simply doesn't make any sense.

Firstly it is a VERSION control product, not really a document management system.
It's a lame band-aid slapped on top of C3D to attempt to compensate for the missing Project Management functions that were found in Land Desktop.

Second it still relies on user input to maintain the particulars of why or what was edited in a file.

My favorite pet peeve; is that it allows a user to exit a file and NOT check it back in to the vault.

It's flawed and bloated, and simply doesn't meet the needs of possibly 85% of most Civil Engineering firms.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
My mistake, it is not free, only in subscription environments.

I agree with Higgs Boson's Mate, those are reasons I advised no.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

Birdy

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
Wasn't it "created" for Inventor, and then pushed out elsewhere?
Perhaps that is why it isn't suitable for C3D.
I'm 'uncivil', so I cant really comment with any conviction.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:42:49 AM »
Wasn't it "created" for Inventor, and then pushed out elsewhere?
Perhaps that is why it isn't suitable for C3D.
I'm 'uncivil', so I cant really comment with any conviction.
Yes it was created for Inventor.
And then Autodesk decided that it was so good everyone needed it, wether they actually could benefit from it or not.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:34 PM »
Thank you all for the advise. I am going to advise against it here also. I did a little research and defiantly do not believe it to be useful for small office environment.

Wedding

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 08:08:43 AM »
I would HIGHLY recommend you hold passing judgment until you've at least reviewed Vault Collaboration AEC 2012. We have made significant changes to the way Vault & C3D interact as well as the way your data can be shared with outside parties. VC AEC will NOT be free with Subscription, it is a separate purchase.

While you may still find that VC AEC doesn't do anything to improve your particular situation, I just encourage all of you to make sure you understand the latest product improvements before writing off a pretty powerful tool for Civil firms. Visit with your reseller, they should understand your business and situation to be of real help in making these evaluations. If your reseller doesn't have the answers to satisfy you, please ask them to contact me via the Frontline team at Autodesk.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »
I would HIGHLY recommend you hold passing judgment until you've at least reviewed Vault Collaboration AEC 2012. We have made significant changes to the way Vault & C3D interact as well as the way your data can be shared with outside parties. VC AEC will NOT be free with Subscription, it is a separate purchase.

While you may still find that VC AEC doesn't do anything to improve your particular situation, I just encourage all of you to make sure you understand the latest product improvements before writing off a pretty powerful tool for Civil firms. Visit with your reseller, they should understand your business and situation to be of real help in making these evaluations. If your reseller doesn't have the answers to satisfy you, please ask them to contact me via the Frontline team at Autodesk.

What extra benefit from the paid version will the non users of the free version see James?

This sounds like a real bad idea; lets buy the version of a feature we don't use because it isn't effective.  I can't see anyone being able to make the business case to buy something to replace a free something that doesn't work for them.

So, instead of sending them around the horn through their dealer, why don't you illuminate them here as to how and why paying HOW MUCH MONEY, is going to be better for them than not spending any on a product that really doesn't suit the Civil world at all.
We don't need a VERSION control product we need real project management tool.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 11:03:08 AM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

StykFacE

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
Even for a 'large' CIVIL Engineering office Vault simply doesn't make any sense.

Firstly it is a VERSION control product, not really a document management system.
It's a lame band-aid slapped on top of C3D to attempt to compensate for the missing Project Management functions that were found in Land Desktop.

Second it still relies on user input to maintain the particulars of why or what was edited in a file.

My favorite pet peeve; is that it allows a user to exit a file and NOT check it back in to the vault.

It's flawed and bloated, and simply doesn't meet the needs of possibly 85% of most Civil Engineering firms.
Higgs for Autodesk CEO!!  :mrgreen: