Author Topic: C3D COGO Point within a Dynamic Block?  (Read 8314 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
C3D COGO Point within a Dynamic Block?
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:31:23 AM »
Is this possible?
What I would like to achieve is the ability to control the "dragged state" of a point label (attribute) within a dynamic block.
The block I have is a tree symbol with an attribute (tree number) and several dynamic properties (4 linear and visibility states). Currently I use a standard attribute for the label in the block, but when I need to move the attribute in the drawing, it can be tough to determine which tree each tag number goes to. I have in the the past added leaders, but they were separate from the block and a real PIA to adjust as the plan changes.
It would be great to have the leader automatically connect the tag number to the tree if the number is moved to improve visibility on the plan.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

sinc

Re: C3D COGO Point within a Dynamic Block?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
It's difficult to picture what you're doing...

But C3D Point Styles cannot use Dynamic Blocks.  I haven't ever tried putting Cogo Points inside Dynamic Blocks, but the thought makes me very uneasy...  I suppose you could always try it and see what happens.

It almost sounds to me, though, like you might want to possibly look into using User Defined Properties on your Cogo Points.  Then you might be able to create standard Point Labels that show your desired information, instead of using Attributes in a Block.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
User defined Properties First,  Then create a Point Format Style the utilizes those UDP's.
Then insert your point data for the trees.  And Have a Nice Day.

Dynamic blocks and Civil Point or labels styles really do not function at all.  There is a post about this from sometime ago when I was bemoaning this fact.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
Thanks
My block is attached. I'd like to find a way to have the ID attrib act like a point label with dragged states (including the leader).
But I do need to retain the dynamic functions of the various circle diameters and the visibility states.

I will look into the user defined properties...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »
Thanks
My block is attached. I'd like to find a way to have the ID attrib act like a point label with dragged states (including the leader).
But I do need to retain the dynamic functions of the various circle diameters and the visibility states.

I will look into the user defined properties...

NOT going to work ever.

I ran a simple test, created a random point with TREE as description, placed it in a rectangle, created a block.
Insert above block, the POINT is encapsulated in the block and will not edit as one would expect (like aN attribute).

Have a Nice Day.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
That's about what I feared. Thanks for testing it for me. I am not familliar enough with C3D to test it without assuming I had done something wrong  :oops:
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:28:15 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but, now I wonder - can I display a set of points twice in the same drawing (using different styles, to display differently), or will I need to have the points in the drawing twice with different point numbers and descriptions...?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but, now I wonder - can I display a set of points twice in the same drawing (using different styles, to display differently), or will I need to have the points in the drawing twice with different point numbers and descriptions...?
You will NOT need the points in there twice...
Just assign different point styles to the point group(s); point style override to get the display properties you want for them.

However technically you could also do this with XDREFs.....see you in class   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
Great, thanks

Can I use different description key formats for them (to display different symbology scales for each style)?

I wish I could get in a class, no training funds now though... :(
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
Great, thanks

Can I use different description key formats for them (to display different symbology scales for each style)?

I wish I could get in a class, no training funds now though... :(

One could use different Description Keys on the same points in Drawing...it would be a little tricky however a process could be evolved.

As in Import the points with the Description keys disabled...
then for each group, set the desired keys current, Rt-Click the Point Group and Apply Description Keys

Optionally it might be easier to manage, one group, one set of keys per file, then Xref them together.

Where are you folks located?  If it is someplace that is interesting, and there is a chance for use to do some good stuff, i.e. kayaking, hiking, Mt. Biking.  I have a special rate for opportunities like that.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:08:38 PM »
I live in Front Royal, VA - at the north end of Senandoah National Park.
Our office is near Annapolis MD.

thanks - I am beginning to think the xref option is sounding the easiest... I need to play with it more.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
I live in Front Royal, VA - at the north end of Senandoah National Park.
Our office is near Annapolis MD.

thanks - I am beginning to think the xref option is sounding the easiest... I need to play with it more.
Sounds like you qualify for the Cool Places with Stuff to do that is Fun Rate!   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 02:53:38 PM »
PM me with an offer :)

Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Scott

• Bull Frog
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
What Michael, SW Kansas didn't qualify for the "Cool Places" discount?  Now I feel underappreciated.

Scott

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 06:24:58 PM »
What Michael, SW Kansas didn't qualify for the "Cool Places" discount?  Now I feel underappreciated.

Scott
he he he  OH NO....SW Kansas was unspeakably cool.  I eagerly await my next visit there in fact.

Just trying to save you folks from the swarm of tourists.   ;-)

Once the word gets out, your little piece of paradise will be completely ruined.
And I'd hate to see that happen to you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell