Author Topic: CAD Virus?  (Read 11224 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
Re: CAD Virus?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:03 PM »
Unfortunately this is the price of activeX lisp.

I don't see that it has anything to do with ActiveX as such.
.. care to explain ?

It is established fact that activeX components pose a huge security risk for folks who allow it to run. In fact, when VLisp was first introduced, there was widespread fear that this would allow for the propogation of virii through the sharing of VLisp code.

While for the most part it hasn't panned out, lisp has definitely become a means by which virii can be transmitted. When you add the additional complexities of having compiled code in vlx and fas files, you can readily see the problem ... or at least I can see it.

Incidently, before I came across this post, the attachment had already been removed, thus I don't have the code to examine, but from the sounds of it, it was indeed VLX and/or FAS compiled code.

Personally, I'd be interested in obtaining a copy of the file to see exactly what it does and what makes it tick.

Keith,
I'll agree that there are risks installing and loading ANY compiled code from unknown sources but I don't agree that ActiveX Lisp code is at fault. ...
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »
My point was, that without ActiveX, especially in compiled code, a lisp virus has almost no chance of self-propagation.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:06:29 PM »

So, are you advocating the use of ActiveX in VB, VBA, .NET but not in VisualLisp ?
I'm sorry, I don't get your point.

BTW, writing this form of virus without ActiveX is possible.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »
This isn't VB, VBA or .NET - besides, those languages have been widely recognized as potentially harmful - that potential harm becomes apparent in a common text file lisp with the introduction of ActiveX methods.

BTW, writing this form of virus without ActiveX is possible.

Agreed - but you would be hard pressed to write any common type of trojan or virus in lisp without some ActiveX.

... and you can also write a pretty dangerous virus in a batch file too. That doesn't mean I don't advocate using batch files .. I know they can be dangerous so I proceed with caution at every turn ... once upon a time LISP didn't have this concern - the most it could do was damage the startup of AutoCAD ... now we can write entire binaries and execute them on the fly.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

craigr

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 08:59:39 AM »
BUT, since we use the LT version of AutoCAD and it doesn't use Lisps, is it safe to assume we can't be affected by this?

craigr

lamarn

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »
Old discussion, i know. I can't find any recent messages or post about security issues. My question is : How can a user be sure a .vlx is free from malware? Are there any methods or virus scan?
Design is something you should do with both hands. My 2d hand , my 3d hand ..

ChrisCarlson

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:43 AM »
Knowing the source is usually your best protection. Unless you want to install a sandbox and test it out.