Author Topic: Autocad 2012 - How do you like the new ARRAY?  (Read 3128 times)

JCTER

Autocad 2012 - How do you like the new ARRAY?
« on: May 16, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »
So to recap, in 2012, the ARRAY tool went 100% command-line.  It also is more 'dynamic', allowing you to use on-the-fly mouse input to enter the values for the array as it asks, showing you a preview of the array as you go, and creates an 'array object' that you can edit with grips or via it's properties, after the fact.  This comes with pros/cons, of course, and I'm curious how you feel about it.

JCTER

Re: Autocad 2012 - How do you like the new ARRAY?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
I voted that I really like the tool, but honestly I find that the vast majority of the time, I don't want a single array object.  It seems like the vast majority of the time I use ARRAY; the final product is not a simple, ideal, perfect array of objects, and that I will always have to tweak, move, rotate, or alter at least ONE of the objects in the array. 

This means I have to *shudder* EXPLODE the array into it's baser objects, just so I can alter one or more of the individual entities.

It's a really great tool, I love every bit of it.  It's elegant, pretty, and no more pointless GUI - it's just not practical to my uses, I guess.

I also am still trying to get out of my old keyboard habits.  I'm having trouble getting the muscle memory down still.  While annoying, I don't hold that against the command itself, as that'll pass.

CAB

• Global Moderator
  • Seagull
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:18:49 PM »
Some of us still in the dark ages. :-(
2006 here.
I've reached the age where the happy hour is a nap. (°¿°)
Windows 10 core i7 4790k 4Ghz 32GB GTX 970
Please support this web site.

LE3

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
not using autocad at this time...

that 'new' tool looks very similar to the move\copy parallel command that was available in intergraph microstation 4.0, btw (that i was an user back on 1994)

:-P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:41:51 PM by LE »

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:07:42 AM »
I voted that I really like the tool, but honestly I find that the vast majority of the time, I don't want a single array object.  It seems like the vast majority of the time I use ARRAY; the final product is not a simple, ideal, perfect array of objects, and that I will always have to tweak, move, rotate, or alter at least ONE of the objects in the array.

I've not installed 2012 yet to know for myself but what I've read suggests those changes are all possible *within* the array object (I think using grip edits)

dJE
===
dJE

JCTER

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »

I've not installed 2012 yet to know for myself but what I've read suggests those changes are all possible *within* the array object (I think using grip edits)

dJE
Unfortunately not.  The change I'm talking about is being able to move objects after they are arrayed.  Say I want to array one column 6 times in a polar array, like a gazebo columns, or something.  But I need to move one column inside a bit for some reason, so that it were at a different distance from center, than the others.  Can't do it unless you explode the array.  The only grip edit I can do is to change the distance between objects, or the radius of the entire array.

deegeecees

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
Some of us still in the dark ages. :-(
2006 here.

Same here.

2009  :-P

JCTER

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 10:33:47 AM »
lol.

Thanks guys.  I'll bump the poll up again in a couple years and see what I get.  :-D

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
lol.

Thanks guys.  I'll bump the poll up again in a couple years and see what I get.  :-D
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

JCTER

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »