Author Topic: Distribution from server or CD install?  (Read 5137 times)

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
  • Push limits, embrace success, & discard failure.
Distribution from server or CD install?
« on: March 02, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
At this time, my company has a CAD department of 1, and we have worked with autodesk to set up a "distribution/deployment" from the server, however, simple things like Express Tools were not installed.  Now we're updating the computer that contains the license manager.  The IT department seems to think that the server to PC install is the only way to go.  Yes working with a single network license.  Software was purchased before CAD tech "Me" was hired.  Stand alone is not an option at this point.

So what I'm asking, cuz I'm a noob, can I (assuming admin priv.) install a network licensed autocad product from the install CD?

I understand the benifits of a "deployment" ->exact same install on dozens of machines... but I'm a department of 1. 

Thoughts... ideas... questions...   
Keeping my thoughts open at this point.

I know IT is just wringing their virtual hands over the whole mismanaged process.
I am very  trainable....   (forgive my spelling)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Distribution from server or CD install?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Yes one can install network license(d) version locally with the CD.

The product will then ask for or seek the licence server when you fire it up the first time.

However, I would suggest that you continue using the 'deployment' method from the server.
The issue with the Express Tools not installing isn't really your problem, it was or is an issue created by autodesk.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Chris

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
I thought express tools not installing was just an option that didnt get checked in the deployment, or at least that is what my experience is.  We switched to using a deployment for our 5 stations just because it was simpler to get everything installed the same.  For the next version I'm looking into using lisp programming to set everything up, so I can pretty much leave the default settings as they are.
Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.
AEC Collection 2020 (C3D)
Win 10

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:58:51 AM »
I thought express tools not installing was just an option that didnt get checked in the deployment, or at least that is what my experience is.
Basically...although why would they (autodesk) not simply install them with the base application?  Given that they are now technically a part of said application.

That's why I fault autodesk, and NOT the person performing the deployment under the direction of their local autodesk reseller. (or so it appears from what I'm reading here)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
I'm not against deployment, but i'm seeing myself as a single serving CAD department for the next 6-8 months untill I (don't laugh) master AMEP.

I guess I'm just hesitant to release control of my PC and Software to IT who, for all intents and purposes is just as much a Noob on this process as me.

I seriously wonder why "Express Tools" is an option myself.  Why not just simply a apart of the install.  Is this not a necessary tool when generating MvParts from blocks? 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
I'm not against deployment, but i'm seeing myself as a single serving CAD department for the next 6-8 months untill I (don't laugh) master AMEP.

I guess I'm just hesitant to release control of my PC and Software to IT who, for all intents and purposes is just as much a Noob on this process as me.

I seriously wonder why "Express Tools" is an option myself.  Why not just simply a apart of the install.  Is this not a necessary tool when generating MvParts from blocks? 

No the MvParts are are function of MEP, not the Express Tools.

There are some companies for whom I have provided training, that I also perform the License Server Install and Deployment management services for.  While doing this I instruct their IT department on the procedure for both creating the deployment, and applying service patches to same for ease of distribution.

I'd still suggest using the Deployment route; even as a team of one.  My guess is you will shortly discover that you need to upgrade your PC, and having the Deployment handy will speed the install process when you do..
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
OK,
So I'm sold on the distribution.... but wait..

No the MvParts are are function of MEP, not the Express Tools.

Doesn't MEP utilize "Flatten" when it creates the dozen or so 2D views when you create new MvParts?

I ask, because at this time, Express Tools is not installed and My PC does not seem to create the 2D views.

I guess i assumed that "Flatten" was the tool it used to extrapolate the 2D views.

I've been wrong befor, I'm OK with it.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 12:58:43 PM »
MV Parts Tutorial

No Express Tools required...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 01:10:21 PM »
Thanks, sort of...

I think I need to start a different post.....

BIGAL

• Swamp Rat
  • 40 + years of using Autocad
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:27:19 PM »
We tried a deployment on our system and basicly it just did not work, it would start and eventually give up the only thing we could think of was the network traffic was the problem downloading a continous file etc. we have around 1000 pc's

So for 2012 just went straight to the DVD. The network licence works fine only hiccup was Autodesk does not tell you to get a new license file. Which we did now our 12+ networks are ok.
A man who never made a mistake never made anything

DIW_CADtech

• Bull Frog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
We have similar problems here.. I backup my files to the server using ROBOCOPY thus.. only copying files that are new and or different from what is on the server.  And still that can take anywhere from 10 to 15 min even if it's only 25 to 50 megabites.  If your server and network are not snappy, i would not work from the network. 

For a day and a half i tried.  And i had so many crashes, and so many times the network location could not be found.  I spent 1/2 the day waiting on loading files.  And lets face it.. if IT could come in and change a few settings on the network and boom speed.... they would have done it already.

In any case... Now we are having issues with reaching the license manager over the VPN... Right now we are checking in and out the license, but like someone mentioned above.. now I am having hardware issues.  So I am learning fast that this is an ongoing learning experience.