Author Topic: Solview and Soldraw  (Read 10974 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Solview and Soldraw
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
IMO that's what you should have said the first time. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
IMO that's what you should have said the first time. :-)

If ONLY I was as good at politics as I was at using Autodesk's products. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

JCTER

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
My base plate details and steel connection details are detached from the model, and drawn in paper space.

If you can provide a way to quickly replicate these crucial drawing elements from drawing to drawing, I will welcome the solution.  Like I said, there is -no- rule that is always good or always bad.

Design information is crucial to attach to the model itself.  Other minutia that falls into the realm or repetition and efficiency of rolling out - do not.  Not every little detail needs to be modeled and have details attached to that model.  To do so is a waste of time, loss of time that could be devoted to tasks that matter.  Ask me how I know.

Sometimes it's paramount to have details and pieces drawn in paperspace and dimensioned there.  Situations exist.  The OP asked how to make his stuff work, I answered.  It's not up to me to tell him the best drafting practice and to conduct a background interview of his shop practices before offering him a solution.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
My base plate details and steel connection details are detached from the model, and drawn in paper space.

If you can provide a way to quickly replicate these crucial drawing elements from drawing to drawing, I will welcome the solution.  Like I said, there is -no- rule that is always good or always bad.

Design information is crucial to attach to the model itself.  Other minutia that falls into the realm or repetition and efficiency of rolling out - do not.  Not every little detail needs to be modeled and have details attached to that model.  To do so is a waste of time, loss of time that could be devoted to tasks that matter.  Ask me how I know.

Sometimes it's paramount to have details and pieces drawn in paperspace and dimensioned there.  Situations exist.  The OP asked how to make his stuff work, I answered.  It's not up to me to tell him the best drafting practice and to conduct a background interview of his shop practices before offering him a solution.
The quoted statement basically includes your rebuttal does it not? 

Although I do not believe there is ever an instance where it is paramount to ever draw any part of ones model in paperspace; ever.
Matter of personal preference perhaps, but paramount, really?

Me thinks you went beyond answering the question to approaching that line of Troll or Jerk or whatever you claimed to not intend to cross.

Now can we please get back to the topic at hand here?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Birdy

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
Ignore them both Pat.  The mud slinging line forms to the left!
Oh, and welcome to TheSwamp.  :-D
hip waders are optional.

sugarCAD

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »
Pat you probably want to ignore the instructions given above...it's a habit I wouldn't want you to adopt (ever).

Did you ever stop to think, that maybe your advice should be ignored?

I have not seen one single post in this thread where you have provided an answer to the OPs question.
Quote from: Pat Gilbert
Hi All

I'm trying to learn Solview and Soldraw.

This creates layers in the model that don't seem to be able to be frozen in model space without turning them off in paper space.

Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Pat

My solution, on the other hand directly answers the OPs question. Whether you like the solution or not is irrelevant.

barc

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
Hi All
I'm trying to learn Solview and Soldraw.
This creates layers in the model that don't seem to be able to be frozen in model space without turning them off in paper space.
Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Pat

Yes Pat that's they way the SOL--- functions work.  I haven't used them in a very long time, but as I recall they only work on 3D SOLID and won't work on xrefs or surfaces or other 3D elements.  Simply hiding the paperspace viewport may provide what you need without replicating the 3d components with 2d elements.