Author Topic: Solview and Soldraw  (Read 10919 times)

Pat Gilbert

Solview and Soldraw
« on: February 22, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
Hi All

I'm trying to learn Solview and Soldraw.

This creates layers in the model that don't seem to be able to be frozen in model space without turning them off in paper space.

Is this just the way it is or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Pat

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Solview and Soldraw
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
as in through the viewport?  yes
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Pat Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 03:21:08 PM »
Michael

I was trying to turn them off in model space but not in paper space.

Thanks

Pat

JCTER

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »
You can't really do that with anything, afaik.

If it's frozen, it doesn't show up anywhere.  This is not unique to the sol- commands, really.  If you wish to see something in paperspace then it needs to be thawed.

It's a one-way street, kind of.  You can freeze things in viewports and have them still show in other areas, but not the other way around.

Pat Gilbert

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »
Ok thanks guys.

If I'm understanding correctly because paper space is a picture of the model you have to have something turned on in the model to see it in paper space.

Apparently I will have to do my modeling first and then change the paper space second?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
yes get the model correct...
then through the floating viewport(s) one freezes what they do not whis to see in that view of the model.
Notice FREEZE in Current View Port?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Pat Gilbert

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
I think I follow, freeze the objects you don't want to see in the viewport while the viewport is in modelspace.

The model space gets quite messy with the soldraw layers on. It appears that to mitigate this it would be best to do one soldraw and then create viewports of the soldraw viewport?

Thanks again

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
or..stop trying to use 'multiple' 'viewports' in modelspace...as one can only effectively have one ACTIVE view of the model at any given time....use only one MODEL VIEW
Then XREF the model into other drawings and perform your solview soldraw operations through the viewports on the layout tabs (paperspace).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Pat Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:20:48 PM »
I don't have time to look at this right now Xrefs are new to me I will have to play with it to wrap my wits around this idea.

Let me see if I'm tracking, I would create an xref in the drawing(paper space). Then I would create soldraw views from that xref?

You guys are great, thanks so much

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »
the XREF of the Model goes in ModelSpace

The Sol commands are run from a layout tab...which then creates the various views (floating viewports) on the layout tab(s)

In this way, the 'views' of the model will be correct, and no portion of the Solview Soldraw command will interfere with the model drawing with all those 'extra' layers and deleting stuff on them, etc...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Pat Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 05:32:37 PM »
Ok thanks, I have to play with xrefs as I have no idea how they work.

sugarCAD

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »
You can use CHSPACE to bring the Layers and objects created by SOLVIEW, SOLDRAW and SOLPROF into paperspace and remove them from the model, although any changes made to the model will no longer be reflected in paperspace.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:32 AM »
Pat you probably want to ignore the instructions given above...it's a habit I wouldn't want you to adopt (ever).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
Pat you probably want to ignore the instructions given above...it's a habit I wouldn't want you to adopt (ever).
I'm not trolling or being a jerk on this, but it's pretty classless to tell someone to ignore other posters because they differ with your own advice.

CHSPACE is great for creating typical and reusable items that will be copy-pasta from drawing to drawing to drawing.

You're already taking your model and DISASSOCIATING your dimensioned drawings from them.  You're not losing or gaining -anything- by leaving them in model space, so Huggy Bison ain't really got much purpose to his statement in regards to SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW geometry.

Your real model is the cluster of 3D objects you created 2d blocks from.

If I were you, I'd simply dimension the 3D objects, themselves through a paperspace viewport, and plot with the visual style 'Hidden' (note: not 3dHidden - there's a difference)

However, you asked about SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW specifically, so I didn't add that in before now.  If you're going to have disassociated geometry created from a 3D Model and break the link between the two (there never was one, really) then it doesn't matter if you put it in model space, paper space, outer space... may as well put it where it's convenient.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »
James, I think the point of the discussion is to offer the best possible solution not just any solution.
This particular advice doesn't address the users questions regarding Solview or Soldraw, and introduces what is a bad cad habit to adopt.

Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.

How classless is it to leave ill advice for a user to follow?  This isn't about disagreeing with the poster it's about a process one should not employ for this purpose.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
IMO that's what you should have said the first time. :-)
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
IMO that's what you should have said the first time. :-)

If ONLY I was as good at politics as I was at using Autodesk's products. 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
My base plate details and steel connection details are detached from the model, and drawn in paper space.

If you can provide a way to quickly replicate these crucial drawing elements from drawing to drawing, I will welcome the solution.  Like I said, there is -no- rule that is always good or always bad.

Design information is crucial to attach to the model itself.  Other minutia that falls into the realm or repetition and efficiency of rolling out - do not.  Not every little detail needs to be modeled and have details attached to that model.  To do so is a waste of time, loss of time that could be devoted to tasks that matter.  Ask me how I know.

Sometimes it's paramount to have details and pieces drawn in paperspace and dimensioned there.  Situations exist.  The OP asked how to make his stuff work, I answered.  It's not up to me to tell him the best drafting practice and to conduct a background interview of his shop practices before offering him a solution.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:21 AM »
Any advice that disconnects the data from the model is simply bad practice.  Now I'm not going to say that there might not be any instance where the above might not prove usefull for something, just not this particular instance or application.
My base plate details and steel connection details are detached from the model, and drawn in paper space.

If you can provide a way to quickly replicate these crucial drawing elements from drawing to drawing, I will welcome the solution.  Like I said, there is -no- rule that is always good or always bad.

Design information is crucial to attach to the model itself.  Other minutia that falls into the realm or repetition and efficiency of rolling out - do not.  Not every little detail needs to be modeled and have details attached to that model.  To do so is a waste of time, loss of time that could be devoted to tasks that matter.  Ask me how I know.

Sometimes it's paramount to have details and pieces drawn in paperspace and dimensioned there.  Situations exist.  The OP asked how to make his stuff work, I answered.  It's not up to me to tell him the best drafting practice and to conduct a background interview of his shop practices before offering him a solution.
The quoted statement basically includes your rebuttal does it not? 

Although I do not believe there is ever an instance where it is paramount to ever draw any part of ones model in paperspace; ever.
Matter of personal preference perhaps, but paramount, really?

Me thinks you went beyond answering the question to approaching that line of Troll or Jerk or whatever you claimed to not intend to cross.

Now can we please get back to the topic at hand here?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Birdy

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 04:42:46 PM »
Ignore them both Pat.  The mud slinging line forms to the left!
Oh, and welcome to TheSwamp.  :-D
hip waders are optional.

sugarCAD

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »

Did you ever stop to think, that maybe your advice should be ignored?

I have not seen one single post in this thread where you have provided an answer to the OPs question.
Quote from: Pat Gilbert
Hi All

This creates layers in the model that don't seem to be able to be frozen in model space without turning them off in paper space.

Thanks,
Pat

My solution, on the other hand directly answers the OPs question. Whether you like the solution or not is irrelevant.

barc

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
Hi All
Thanks,
Pat

Yes Pat that's they way the SOL--- functions work.  I haven't used them in a very long time, but as I recall they only work on 3D SOLID and won't work on xrefs or surfaces or other 3D elements.  Simply hiding the paperspace viewport may provide what you need without replicating the 3d components with 2d elements.