Author Topic: Found that Skype kills C3D 2011 has anybody else found this?  (Read 6109 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Found that Skype kills C3D 2011 has anybody else found this?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
WE, just had about 45% of the PCs in class crash from the point edits in Panorama issue.  As these are NOT my computers to care for, I can not tell what hardware is installed to restrict the 'cause' to a single hardware provider or driver version for same.

Not one single one of them has SKYPE installed.

That is enough evidence for me to assert that SKYPE is in no way, responsible for the problem.

Unless it's (SKYPE) very existence in the universe is enough to affect ALL installations of C3D no matter what their location in said universe happens to be.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
WE, just had about 45% of the PCs in class crash from the point edits in Panorama issue.  As these are NOT my computers to care for, I can not tell what hardware is installed to restrict the 'cause' to a single hardware provider or driver version for same.

Not one single one of them has SKYPE installed.

That is enough evidence for me to assert that SKYPE is in no way, responsible for the problem.

Unless it's (SKYPE) very existence in the universe is enough to affect ALL installations of C3D no matter what their location in said universe happens to be.

Well, Mike it seems that Jeff might have a part of the answer that most suits me. I think it is a .NET issue and makes sense enough that my solution of removing it solved my issue. It may not solve your issues, but it may give some other a solution that does count. Of course, it isn't to say that Autodesk never codes wrong. I welcome your investigation that would help all of us understand what is really going on. Some solutions are better than none. Be it scientific logic or good old trial and error investigation. I only can say at this moment after doing what I did I haven't been able to crash C3D 2011 for the last 2 weeks after finding this out. It is my luck.

MJP
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:32:26 PM by sourdough »
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
yes it may be a DOT net issue and EXACTLY why I was suggesting that the ORDER of installation of the application(s) were the cause of the problem NOT the application itself.

Because by installing C3D AFTER everything else it should have installed the DOT net files it would be happiest using.

Funny if you had read my post, and ran the test I suggested instead of defending your methods you might have found the DOT net files were correctly written by installing the application(s) in a different order.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
Maybe you missed my post, Michael, where I explained that the first PC I experienced this problem with did have the order of installation reversed, as you suggested. And it still crashed.

FWIW, I have the passed this info on to Autodesk. Himanshu Gohel has responded and will be running his own tests now with the data I have supplied him with.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
Maybe you missed my post, Michael, where I explained that the first PC I experienced this problem with did have the order of installation reversed, as you suggested. And it still crashed.

FWIW, I have the passed this info on to Autodesk. Himanshu Gohel has responded and will be running his own tests now with the data I have supplied him with.

Actually it appears that your order of install was SKYPE first and THEN C3D.  And I mis-typed the test method order.  Perhaps I confused you with that error.   ;-)

However good to know somewhat at autodesk might actually look into the issue.  Although upon waking this AM I conclude this is NOT a problem Autodesk will do anything about, unless they own shares in SKYPE they have no reason to address an issue caused by some other software(s) other than their own.

Jeff, you are also NOT testing a different install order with this.
Install SKYPE first
then
C3D
Then test.

You are basically 'testing' using the same method.  
Actually, my old laptop which I first experienced this on DID have Skype installed prior to C3D2011. I first started using Skype Thanksgiving Day, 2009....C3D2011 wasn't available until 5-6 months after that.

I also believe that Skype itself isn't the cause of the problem, but something it installs or alters in Windows is triggering the problem. I'm thinking it is probably a .NET file.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:50:31 AM by Higgs Boson's Mate »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sourdough

• Bull Frog
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:58 PM »
Jeff, you are also NOT testing a different install order with this.
Install SKYPE first
then
C3D
Then test.

You are basically 'testing' using the same method. 
Actually, my old laptop which I first experienced this on DID have Skype installed prior to C3D2011. I first started using Skype Thanksgiving Day, 2009....C3D2011 wasn't available until 5-6 months after that.

I also believe that Skype itself isn't the cause of the problem, but something it installs or alters in Windows is triggering the problem. I'm thinking it is probably a .NET file.

Jeff, this should be interesting to check and see what version of .NET Framework is installed. Here is a snapshot from Registry.
Win 7 64bit (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\)
LDC 2009/C3D 2010/C3D 2011/C3D 2016

Win 10 64bit

36years

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
A similar issue: I found out about a year ago that some anti-virus (Symantic) can totally ruin your C3D day. Uninstall it if you can, find something else.
Actually, I was searching for an answer for another topic, but I found this and thought I would throw in my $0.02 on a lockup issue.