Author Topic: PURGING  (Read 4355 times)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
PURGING
« on: January 27, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
A couple of quick questions for those who'd like to patricipate.

1) How often do you use the PURGE command  in a drawing ?

2) Do you purge specific things ?

3) If you purge during the drawing process, how do you restore the 'standard' stuff you may need later ?

4) Is there anything you'd like to purge that you can't ?

kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

JCTER

Re: PURGING
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:19 PM »

Typically before a final 'save' if it's a drawing I originated.  If it's a drawing I am taking over from someone else... usually right away.  Sometimes before I email a drawing to someone, if I notice the file size sucks.

If it's not the 'final' save I will typically purge blocks especially, but typically everything but layers and linetypes.  It's common to need layers and linetypes later on, for me.  Everything else, not so much.

3) If you purge during the drawing process, how do you restore the 'standard' stuff you may need later ?
Standard stuff is pulled in with blocks, from design-center.  Layers aren't automated just yet, except for content pulled in with blocks.

Users.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Very often

Always Purgeall

Everything is automated through the menu.

Errors
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
A couple of quick questions for those who'd like to patricipate.

I have a number of routines that combine audit, purge, and reseting the scale list with save (one just saves, one saves and closes, the other switches to modelspace, saves, and closes), so pretty much every time I save the drawing (so admittedly, not as often as I should!)

purgeall

Pull layers in through the design centre.  I prefer to start from a more-or-less blank drawing anyway.  Similarly Blocks tend to get  inserted using the INSERT command.

Regapps, I guess.  We had major performance problems on upgrading to R2010.  Now have a monthly routine of running a regapp remover on the server.  That's due to run tomorrow, since you mention it!

dJE
===
dJE

Kyle Reese

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:41 AM »
 couple of quick questions for those who'd like to patricipate.

1) How often do you use the PURGE command  in a drawing ?  Twice.

2) Do you purge specific things ? Everything I can.

3) If you purge during the drawing process, how do you restore the 'standard' stuff you may need later ? Not a major concern.

4) Is there anything you'd like to purge that you can't ? There's nothing I can't purge one way or the other.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:50 AM »
couple of quick questions for those who'd like to participate.

1) How often do you use the PURGE command  in a drawing ?  Twice.

< .. >

Twice consecutively or total ?
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »
The heavily customized office system purges all 3 times when opening a drawing. Everything you need is easily accessible from menus.

I get to clean up files from outside sources to use as backgrounds and I will purge many times as I fix stuff and weed out the information not needed for our backgrounds. The purpose is to get the file size as small as possible, so I want to purge anything and everything that is not needed for the background.

When I am working on my own drawings, I don't usually purge unless I am sending the file out or there is stuff that I just want to get rid of.
CAD Tech

nivuahc

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »

Pretty often, depending on the drawing

Everything

Simple command that either runs on drawing opening or manually when I need it

Architects

sinc

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »

Regapps, I guess.  We had major performance problems on upgrading to R2010.  Now have a monthly routine of running a regapp remover on the server.  That's due to run tomorrow, since you mention it!

It seems very odd that you would need something like that.  Do you have any idea why you need it?  I've never heard of anyone else with a setup like that.

You're also aware you can purge regapps with the -purge r command, right?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »

It seems very odd that you would need something like that.  Do you have any idea why you need it?  I've never heard of anyone else with a setup like that.

You're also aware you can purge regapps with the -purge r command, right?

And if you add what Sinc said about how to purge regapps to your start up, you purge every time you the drawing.  I reset my scalelist this way too.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 10:12:06 AM »
1) How often do you use the PURGE command  in a drawing ?  Depends some stuff purges upon the opening of the file and others on a as need basis.

2) Do you purge specific things ?  Regapps and Scalelist when a I open a file.  When I purge I use a routine to purge every darn thing I can.  Right now I am road testing Andrea's TotalPurge.

3) If you purge during the drawing process, how do you restore the 'standard' stuff you may need later ?  As mention above; Design Center, Insert method and some minor automation.

4) Is there anything you'd like to purge that you can't ?  Bosses which in my case are Architects and Users.

OBTW;   Good thread topic.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

huiz

• Swamp Rat
  • Certified Prof C3D
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:52:41 PM »

Everytime I've inserted something or when I deleted complete layers.

No, just all.

Our office template has on the first Layout in a frozen layer all linestyles, dimstyles, textstyles and blocks so everything is used once. These things can't be purged.

Civil3D styles.
The conclusion is justified that the initialization of the development of critical subsystem optimizes the probability of success to the development of the technical behavior over a given period.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:47:51 PM »
1. purgeall 3 -4 times per session, depending on what im doing.
2. everything
3. custom commands
4. not at this time
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
1. Mainly before the drawings go out(Unless large file)

2. All

3. Custum command

4. The crap the CORP requires in drawings

Birdy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »

I'm typically in the same drawing all day (10+hrs) so I purge ~6-8 times a day.  More often if I need to clean out crap from the drawing.
^C^C-purge;r;*;n;-scalelistedit;r;y;e;-purge;a;*;n;
is my utility button macro.  I pick this whenever the mood strikes.  It purges everything (including regapps), and resets the scale list.

Everything I can purge, I purge.  Keep it lean, mean, and clean is my philosophy.

I have a block I pull from the tool palette that contains all layers, text styles, dimstyles and linetypes.  Simple drag-drop-delete and all is restored.

Stuff nested in blocks.  This is something I am anal about, and I deal with a bunch of users that are oblivious to all the crap that builds up in a drawing... then they can't understand why their files are always crashing.
I try to clean stuff out but often it is not worth my time to search for the block that contains that annoying 'layer 14', or whatever.  :pissed:

I know there are proggys to delete layers in nested blocks and the like, I've just never gotten around to loading one up.