Author Topic: Request on OFFSET by CADworx  (Read 5191 times)

digger

Request on OFFSET by CADworx
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
Hi  Guys,
This is NOT the Intergraph CADWorx.
I have two offset routines by Deane Whitmore of New Zealand. I cannot
remember where I got them. I have tried unsuccessfully to contact Mr.
Whitmore and have searched the web (including this forum) also.
So here I am with hat in hand with a request.
"Extended Offset" works in imperial units and is very handy for preset
offsets and keeping a history of the offsets, both picked and input, for
use in the current drawing.
"OFFSET by CADworx" is a similar program except set up for rebar or
something and is in metric units. It also includes a very handy keypad in
the dialog box.
I really like the keypad of OFFSET by CADworx and would like to have the
Extended Offset version with the keypad.
I have tried to replace the metric data in OFFSET by CADworx with the
imperial data but all offsets end up being one unit when executed.
If someone has the time to revise the Extended Offset to include the
keypad or create a new program combining the two (less the rebar stuff),
I would be forever grateful.
I have included the Excalibur calculator that OFFSET by CADworx uses.

Thanks,
digger

deane

Re: Request on OFFSET by CADworx
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
Um... well yeah... that was definitely done a long time ago when I hadn't discovered ObjectDCL and now OpenDCl.

I have obviously updated the code and interface a little to what you see below. Being primarily a structural draftsman, I use the rebar offsets quite a lot. One of the main reason for writing the code in the first place.

So apart from embarrassing myself by posting the revised code here... I have no programming skills whatsoever, instead I rely on the, "if it works, don't fix it" method.

Regards,
Deane

bayoubuoy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
Um... well yeah... that was definitely done a long time ago when I hadn't discovered ObjectDCL and now OpenDCl.

I have obviously updated the code and interface a little to what you see below. Being primarily a structural draftsman, I use the rebar offsets quite a lot. One of the main reason for writing the code in the first place.

So apart from embarrassing myself by posting the revised code here... I have no programming skills whatsoever, instead I rely on the, "if it works, don't fix it" method.

Regards,
Deane

Deane,
What is CADwerx  (CADworx)? Is it your company? Do you sell this program?
I too use Imperial units and would like to have a version with the keypad.

bayoubuoy

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »
OkOkOk... I'll try to knock something up over Christmas...
CADworx was a name I used years and years ago... and nope I don't sell code, I give it away for free. It just may not be the best code you'll every see here at the swamp, but as I say... if it works, don't try to fix it. I have similar routines for the "fillet", "chamfer" and the "donut" commands, basically I hate taking my hand off the mouse to enter numeric values and keying in identical values over and over again.

xiaxiang

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:26:04 AM »
CADworx was a name I used years and years ago... and nope I don't sell code, I give it away for free. It just may not be the best code you'll every see here at the swamp, but as I say... if it works, don't try to fix it. I have similar routines for the "fillet", "chamfer" and the "donut" commands
Why not show your "CADworx" code if it is free? ;-)

bayoubuoy

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:41 AM »
OkOkOk... I'll try to knock something up over Christmas...
CADworx was a name I used years and years ago... and nope I don't sell code, I give it away for free. It just may not be the best code you'll every see here at the swamp, but as I say... if it works, don't try to fix it. I have similar routines for the "fillet", "chamfer" and the "donut" commands, basically I hate taking my hand off the mouse to enter numeric values and keying in identical values over and over again.
RGUS
From the looks of the jpg you must be doing something right.
I would be thrilled to be able to create any code. My tiny brain just does not work that way.
I also don't like keyboard entry. I use toolbars for keypad and fractions.
I also say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but that is not the case here.
Please post your other programs. At the risk of my banishment here, you could also post over at CadTutor.
Thanks for any help to make using vanilla AutoCAD any less painful.

Happy Holidays
bayoubuoy

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »
Just woken up, read my emails and discovered I need to get the code up. Will do, but just not right now 'cause I gotta shower and get to work. You don't wanna see that.

But... the code uses OPENDCL, simple AutoLISP and probably not very readable, since I'm no programmer and I haven't touched the code in years for modifications.

So bear with me, I'll be back tonight with it, when I'm awake

bayoubuoy

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Have you awakened yet?

xiaxiang

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 08:02:01 PM »
Have you awakened yet?
You have sleep for months,my friend :-D

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
I've been asleep most of my life...
Ok then... here's the metric version. No code formatting or even readability... you want it you got it.

Now some this to know...
- It uses OpenDCL for the dialogue box
- It uses DosLib from Robert McNeel & Associates for the paste button. Basically I use a distance command that copies to the clipboard, and I can pass that distance here into this offset routine.
- The BSK key is obviously a 'Backspace' function for those sloppy picks of the keyboard.
- The CLR key clears the current number in the display
- The ALL key clears the 'User' column, I didn't want it scrolling... otherwise it would be quicker to pick/input the offset distance again, rather than try to find it.
- The SINGLE key toggles to DOUBLE and back again on each pick for single off or double offset each side of the selected entity.
- The PICK key allows you to pick a distnce on the drawing to use as the offset distance, this is added to the USER column each time.
- The LEAVE key toggles to DELETE allowing you to either leave the original entity or delete it after the offset has been done.
- The EXIT button... geees I wonder what that does
- The Big Graphic is the OK button... couldn't see the sense in making an OK button that big

Obviously, as I said, this has been set up with presets for my structural reinforcing constants, but you can change these to anything you want.

Now... I ain't no programmer, so don't get into me about not declaring variables and formatting the code to be more readable. I'm sure there are heaps of ways to improve, not only the efficiency of this thing, but also the speed. I therefore offer this for those that wanna have a hack. Feel free... I'm looking forward to what the gurus do with it.

Now can I go back to sleep??? LOL
Cheers you offsetters!

xiaxiang

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
Sweet...It's awesome  :angel:

bayoubuoy

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
RGUS,
How in the world can I say this without sounding like the biggest ingrate in the world?
Your opendcl dialog box is very nice, but dare I say it, I prefer the old version with the keypad.
Let me explain. Two things I noticed. The absence of the calculator and the user input.
You explained that for the user input you use a distance command saved to the clipboard. I found that I could put numbers in notepad or dtext  and copy them to the clipboard but that is not as convenient as the direct input.
The OP was looking for an imperial fix of your old metric version. So if you, or someone else, could tell us how to use the distances used in the imperial version without the keypad in the metric version with the keypad.......
Please, please, please don't think badly of me. I am not, repeat, I am not “getting into” you. I am just a lowly user, not a coder.
Off topic question, the miners that were trapped in New Zealand last year, did they just write them off and seal off  the mine?
I apologize for being such a nag during this process.

bayoubuoy
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:27:29 PM by bayoubuoy »

RGUS

• Newt
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »
Ok.. the calculator part is the easy one... I now use an HP41CX emulator from Warren Furlow, you can get it from this site http://www.hp41.org under emulators. Registration is free. I use RPN calculators... because I'm old and have been using them for a long time... I guess in the "ofset" code, you could change this to what ever you liked as a calculator.
The imperial bit... well I can have a go at... but being metric based... and leaving imperial alone over 30 years ago, means I may have to do a bit of thinking.
Keyboard entry... again... that should be easy to make happen. I guess the current code is based on the way i like to use it... but... there are many ways to enter data... right!
I could use the old DCL interface, but I don't like it... mainly because I like lovely colours and pretty designs...LOL

Yup the miners were closed up and left to burn in the remaining coal fire that was underground... what a way to go eh! And we think we got it hard!

Be back at ya soon with a revision.

bayoubuoy

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 11:16:27 AM »

Yup the miners were closed up and left to burn in the remaining coal fire that was underground... what a way to go eh! And we think we got it hard!

Be back at ya soon with a revision.

That's what I suspected. Coal mine disasters were all too frequent last year round the world.
You are just too kind for offering a revision.
Thanks,
bayoubuoy