Author Topic: best way to contours  (Read 5866 times)

MSTG007

• Gator
  • I can't remeber what I already asked! I need help!
best way to contours
« on: December 08, 2004, 12:44:02 PM »
What is the best way to contours? with using breaklines? or without? and just flip as best as you can.

and is it good to use points in 3D or flat?
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 12:57:59 PM »
WITH breaklines!! How else can you contour across a curb line ? You need to show that 6" elevation shift.You can flip all day and still not be given the option to get the contour right. I use breaklines, then I go do the "add a line" and "flip" thing. To get the contours right, you have to use ALL of the tools.
not sure what you mean by "flat' points ? The Z value on the point block drives the tin , so don't change it. unless you just want a flat tin.

MSTG007

• Gator
best way to contours
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:50:56 PM »
Dent... what is your process of doing contours with a survey... after you get all the line work done?

I just add all my points into the surface terrain... and then build. then start fliping...

thats my process...

what about when you do linework... from fieldbook files... Can i give the pline to be a 3d poly and connect to the points? and then add all 3d polys to be a breakline?

thanks
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 04:34:41 PM »
I do the autoline work, I then use  those lines as the break lines. They do not have to be 3d polys. I open a new surface. Suface data is usually all of the project points, all of the appropriate lines that the autoline work created. i make proximity faults from the line work. The only 3d lines I create are along the curb lines, i use the "create a curb " routine to get the 0.5' shift for the curb. I then create "contour data" from those lines. i then build the surface from "points,faults and contours". I then do the "Create contours" thing and start editing.
The 3d connection to the lines that the autodraw creates is an automatic thing. Eventhough the line lists as a "0" Z value, the tin reads the z value from the point block. You do not have to put z on the line.
If you are doing the surface just from the points, you must really hate dealing with creeks, streams and ditches, not to mention cliffs and cub lines. Without using a breakline along the centerline of roadways you can't correctly show the crown of the roadway.

Jassper

best way to contours
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 05:46:15 PM »
Breaklines is the way to go.

I use eaglepoint (yeah I know) and having to deal with a tin - it is soo much easier if you give it boundaries.

HTH Little

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 06:30:38 PM »
The thing I like about LDD3 (and in my case Softdesk 8 ) is that once you are setup, contouring is really easy! Well, it is for me, but then remember, I've been pulling contours for 35 years. My set-up now creates the contours like I used to scribe. Screened and everything. I've even developed a very easy way to add the depression contour ticks. (Which most people don't use because they don't know to. Pity.)

MSTG007

• Gator
best way to contours
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 07:00:31 AM »
wow... ill give it a whirl.... if i have more questions... you dont mind me asking i hope.

thxs
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 08:19:24 AM »
Keep 'em comming. I'll do my best to talk you through it.
We've got some new folks here on the same learning curve. The only reason I haven't sat my big ole butt down and written a tutorial is that we are about to finally get trainning on LDD3 and start using it. The proceedure is basically the same as R14, but there are some twists that I need to learn more about. I might could do you a step by step as I do it in R14 that might work, but I'm not sure. Hate to lead you astray.

MSTG007

• Gator
best way to contours
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 09:43:12 AM »
DENT,
we are using LDD3 as well. Reason i have not been asking more questions... They moved me in the field for a couple months! now i am back in the office drafting all the surveys! I just want them to be rght!

I ll email you my steps! or post them... what do you prefer
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 01:10:28 PM »
That's the only wat to do them. In the current software there are at least 3 ways to do anything you want. Trick is to find the way you are most comfortable with and go for it.
WOOPS!! Didn't see your last statement. Post the steps here. That way others can add their 2 cents and cover what I miss.

Dinosaur

best way to contours
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
Jassper,
You say you use EaglePoint; I used EPWIN 95 and r13 until this past spring.  Does your version work with 2004 files?  I am quickly getting fed up with LDDT 2k5 and would like to approach the boss about trying the latest EaglePoint, but haven't found anyone using the newer versions to get a report.

MSTG007

• Gator
best way to contours
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 06:21:04 AM »
Ok.... here are my steps per a project:

1st - Import Fieldbook file from the RAW data into dwg.

2nd- Finish all labeling in the drawing and setup dwg with title block and all odds and ends.

3rd- In point manager, create a group called surface. Select all the points you want to use per the surface.

4th- Go to Terrain Model and create a surface called the name of your dwg.

5th- I just right click on surface name and BUILD.

6th- Go to Terrain, Edit surface, FLIP. Flip till everything looks correct by the way the contours lay.

7th- Add Contour labels interior group.

8th- Print everything out. Done.
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 07:22:37 PM »
The only thing I see you need to add is to use your line work of relevant features as "proximity faults" (ie: edge of pavenment, buildings, ditch centerlines.....anything that affects the contours, even the street centerline shots.) Make any buildings into closed polys and make them "non-destructive breaklines". (Now you can delete ther tin lines within the buildings and get no contour lines inside of the buildings.) If you use breaklines you will find fewer faces that need flipping. Saves time. Saves money.

MSTG007

• Gator
best way to contours
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 07:17:44 AM »
so... start using breaklines?

What is the best way to define or bring in a breakline? can i select it or do i need to redraw it in?
Civil3D 2020

Dent Cermak

best way to contours
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 04:08:18 PM »
YUP!!
Here's a prime example. I just got in a job from one of our offices. These guys do not use autoline draw or descritor keys. Normally this drawing (using autio line, etc.) would take me 12 hrs+- to do. I am now on hour 46 and have just complteted thst plannimetric data and the lot lies. I now have to do the 3d polys for the curb lines, build the surface using these lines, proximity faults and the project points. Total time will then run 54 hours+. That's 42 hours wasted.
Simple case of use the tools. There's a reason that fault lines are in the package. Learn to use them and use them. Also FORCE the company to use the Autoline draw and descriptor key functions. It's ALL about profit.
Using ALL of the tools will increase productivity by at least 300%. That's what the above example shows.