Author Topic: pipe networks and profile visibility  (Read 5596 times)

drizzt

pipe networks and profile visibility
« on: August 19, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
Ok, I created a pipe network for culverts. looks great in plan view. I right clicked and added it to the profile view. It show up great in the parent drawing, but it doesn't show up in my sheet set. Any ideas?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: pipe networks and profile visibility
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »
one choses to include or NOT the pipe(s) and or networks shown in the reference profiles during the Plan Production tools function
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
But if the pipes didn't exist, you will need to add the DataShortcuts & DRef's manually, then add the pipes to the profile in the Sheet

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
But if the pipes didn't exist, you will need to add the DataShortcuts & DRef's manually, then add the pipes to the profile in the Sheet
right or remember Michaels Axium in regards SHEET creation....
IT should always be the LAST thing you do.

Get the design done....and then do sheets.
Otherwise one is working in circles.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »

only problem with that, is the engineer wants to see it on paper before he gives me All the design. I will re-create sheets then.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »

only problem with that, is the engineer wants to see it on paper before he gives me All the design. I will re-create sheets then.
It's time for that engineer to sit in on a class to learn that the SHEET(s) don't drive the design, it's the other way 'round.

This change in workflow is part of the process of adopting C3D AND realizing all the potential productivity and profitability gains.

Remember Michales other Axiom....Redlines are a vortex that sucks the profit right out of the job.

Stop Redlining, and start designing your way to profits!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:12:12 PM »
or even more so ... the reviewing agency that expects drawings 100% ready for bid with the 1st and all subsequent reviews.  The sheet sets HAVE to be prior to design completion and in reality the design is not complted until the project is built.  I have been forced to insert, delete and combine sheets in a set during construction phase.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
or even more so ... the reviewing agency that expects drawings 100% ready for bid with the 1st and all subsequent reviews.  The sheet sets HAVE to be prior to design completion and in reality the design is not complted until the project is built.  I have been forced to insert, delete and combine sheets in a set during construction phase.

Yes DINO; however I think we have all worked with 'that' person who somehow thinks that should they CONTROL all the design information, and only give the designer/drafter the information in bits, and pieces, and or only AFTER things have gone some other direction than 'they' intended that really gets in the way of offering up a more completed plan set earlier in the process.
However should that person give ALL the design parameters to the person performing the task it is far more reasonable to expect a near complete plan set earlier, as opposed later AFTER they tell you the information they withheld.
I've been in contract situations wherein I have had to make it perfectly clear that sooner I have ALL design constraints the sooner and cheaper can be accomplish the desired design tasks.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Dinosaur

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
Municipal / agency reviewers are not part of the process that can be controled, re educated, shown the light or otherwise be motivated to change what they want to see for the designer's convenience.  Their design criteria is LAW and while some departure might be overlooked in special circumstances, they will always get what they want to see.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
Municipal / agency reviewers are not part of the process that can be controled, re educated, shown the light or otherwise be motivated to change what they want to see for the designer's convenience.  Their design criteria is LAW and while some departure might be overlooked in special circumstances, they will always get what they want to see.
Yes they will... as bad memories a some clown that would NOT even review sewer plans should the pipe lengths NOT be excactly divisable by two(2) comes to mind.  However he was eventually fired by the city for same.

What I was speaking to in terms of generating the plans LAST is that one should at least try to get as moch of the initial design concept done, and completed as much as practical internally before ever trying to meet the demand for those early plan sets like 15% submittals etc.
As there is no good reason to not do so, and it prevents one from needing to start off going in circles.  Granted as the design evolves it might  still come to pass that sheets are added or removed from a set, however nothing on the scale of redoing ALL sheets, or manually adding all pipes and structures simply because the water, strorm water, or sanitary pipes were not designed prior to creating the sheets, given that one knows that said pipes must need to go into the ground.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

can you explain. I tried re-creating the sheets, and the culverts still didn't come through. I have them in the parent drawing in both plan and profile. I don't understand why they don't come through even when I re-create the sheets. And yes, I did select them when creating the sheets.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:30 PM »

can you explain. I tried re-creating the sheets, and the culverts still didn't come through. I have them in the parent drawing in both plan and profile. I don't understand why they don't come through even when I re-create the sheets. And yes, I did select them when creating the sheets.

Are the pipes  and structures shown in the Parent Profiles?

sounds like I may need to actually see your data...
could be that
A) they are too deep and your profile height is chopping them off...possible symptom of using the Stock profile view styles as was warned against
B) you pipe style for profile is set to use layers that are OFF or Frozen....
C)order of operation
D) All of the above

could be time to use that phione number I sent you and let me Talk you Down from the ledge...

DONT JUMP!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:45 PM »
What happens if anything when you select a pipe and use the Draw Parts in profile view operation, and select one of the reference profile views created by the Sheets operation?
do yo see pipes?
are they at say....elevation ZERO?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
also...what happens should one use the magic SELECT FROM DRAWING button during the sheets wizard, and select the pipe networks manually?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
the pipes are in the parent profile. I chose not to show the structures, as I believe there is something wrong with them. the FES does have a lower elevation than the pipes.