Author Topic: split profile view elevation range  (Read 10916 times)

drizzt

split profile view elevation range
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »
I have a profile view that is split for sheet sets. On one of these views (first view) I need to lower the datum so that I can add stuff that would currently be below the lowest elevation grid. I went to the elevations tab in the profile view properties. I have user specified height selected, but I can't change the minimum elevation, its greyed out. I looked in the help, but found nothing.

Can anyone help?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: split profile view elevation range
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »
you may need to use your profile layout tools and create some profile by layout, or pipe objects at or below the elevation in question in the PARENT profile, that those reference profiles were created from....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
you may ALSO need to change the style of the profile view you are using...
my guess is this: The profile view style you are using was NOT created by yourself from scratch...and you are using one of the autodesk supplied styles...and IT is NOT going to adjust to the lower datum...until you create your OWN style....and use for your profile views.

Don't ask me why; or I will start typing things that 'others' don't want to see....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
also verify this setting in your profile view creation

Profile View Datum By
Specifies how to place the datum for all profiles within the profile view.

•Minimum Elevation—All profile datum values are based on the lowest datum value of all profiles in the profile view. This option works well for profiles that have relatively high variation in elevation.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
ok, I am going to try to teach myself the pipes for the culvert I need to show, hopefully that will fix my datum problem, and it will make adding pipes much easier. 1st problem is that in the network parts list I see a 12" cmp, but no 18" and I can't figure out how to get an 18" pipe. I can change the 12" to 18", but it doesn't give me the option to rename it 18". Any help?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »
ok, I am going to try to teach myself the pipes for the culvert I need to show, hopefully that will fix my datum problem, and it will make adding pipes much easier. 1st problem is that in the network parts list I see a 12" cmp, but no 18" and I can't figure out how to get an 18" pipe. I can change the 12" to 18", but it doesn't give me the option to rename it 18". Any help?
Partslist...

Add Part Family (you've done this)
Rt-Click ADD Part Size...go get the 18"
Use in network

and a double click action while in parts list creation WILL allow one to rename the parts to anything one wants.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
Don't ask me why; or I will start typing things that 'others' don't want to see....
OK, now I am curious. And I am probably one of those 'others', but I would like to see what you have to say regarding this. If you want to spare other 'others', shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
OK, now I am curious. And I am probably one of those 'others', but I would like to see what you have to say regarding this. If you want to spare other 'others', shoot me a PM.

Thanks!
It's more a matter of 'WHY'; as in why would autodesk ever even put a style in the default DWT's that WILL NOT adjust properly when the elevation of items within the profile are lowered?  It's unfathomable (to me at least) unless they just want to mess with people.
And you'll know if the profile view style you have is one of theirs that DONT WORK properly, grab hold of a pipe, or Vertical alignment tangent..and drag it downwards and try to go below the grid....when the profile view chops the element off at the Datum line; and will NOT adjust to include the new lower elevation of the object.  You too will wonder the same thing...WHY?

Now should the user create their own profile view style they will not exhibit this behavior.  (And I'm pretty sure you've seen it too, haven't you?)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
never mind, found add part size.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 11:16:14 AM »
I have seen occasions where, changing the Parent Profile view style to be AUTOMATIC, and then resetting it back to Manual will expose the option to lower the datum.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:39:13 AM »
ok, I am going to come back to this, but I am going to do another post for creating pipe networks

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:53 AM »
ok, I am going to come back to this, but I am going to do another post for creating pipe networks
before you do; you might find it helpful to watch the pipenetworks feature settings tutorial on my website.  (it could save you 20 questions).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
You too will wonder the same thing...WHY?

Now should the user create their own profile view style they will not exhibit this behavior.  (And I'm pretty sure you've seen it too, haven't you?)
Yes, I've seen this, but only with split profiles. However, the use of a 'stock' style or my own doesn't seem to affect whether the view adjusts or not....it never adjusts for anything BUT a change to the EG profile. It's like the Automatic part of SplitProfiles only recognizes Dynamic profiles. I must add that I have only experienced this in testing, as I have yet to need a split profile for my own work...I haven't had a project with more than 15' of relief in probably 12 years.

So is this what you are seeing? How is the use of a self-created style helping this (I don't recall there being any settings in the styles that would factor into this)?

drizzt

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
I used the styles that came with Civil 10.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 01:56:58 PM »
I used the styles that came with Civil 10.
and many of these are set such they do not adjust the grid (manual vs automatic) for profile height calculation
I demonstrate the difference between a user defined style and a stock style in my classes.
Leaving most asking the same question; WHY would they define the styles that way.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell