Author Topic: ACA 2010 walls not playing nice with Solidworks?  (Read 17345 times)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
ACA 2010 walls not playing nice with Solidworks?
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »
As quoted from an email we just got.

Ted,  Just got a call from ....    He has successfully imported your 3D building model into Solidworks with the rather massive exception of the walls.  All of the other drawing objects load just fine, doors, windows, rollups, etc.  Any idea what is special about the wall objects in your model that might be causing this?

We are lost as to why.  Not that we are have en-depth knowledge of ADT but we have absolutely none with Solidworks.  Any ideas?  Is this on our end or their end?  I think if you could import ADT doors and window successfully, the wall should come too? 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: ACA 2010 walls not playing nice with Solidworks?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:32:25 AM »
Perhaps an email to the SolidWorks mistress Elise Moss @ Moss Designs could point you in the right direction to importing that ADT model?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
Did you use the DXF file?
Or did you try a direct import of the DWG?

A quick read indicates they might have more success using the DXF method, and or should it fail there will at least be an error message generated, that might not occur with same data in DWG format.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
Did you use the DXF file?
Or did you try a direct import of the DWG?

A quick read indicates they might have more success using the DXF method, and or should it fail there will at least be an error message generated, that might not occur with same data in DWG format.
We will give these a try if they squawk too much, which they will. 
Thanks Michael

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »
Okay they are squawking and this has issue has come back to forefront.  IMO there has been a long gap between the last time they made noise and this this time.  IT probably becuase they are dragging their feet again but heck it happen on the last project when it was just a 2d project.  They whined and said things will go faster if it was a 3d file.  Okay so we created a file and agin we hearing the same excuses from them.  Every other design firm for this project has no problem with our 3d model and that includes Navis Works.  Enough ranting for this moment.

However we downloaded a trial copy of Solidworks to see what is happening and sure enough some some stuff is there and some is not.  So there is issue but the timing of their whining never mind I digress.

I contacted Ellis Moss and this is what she had to say.
AutoCAD Architecture has an Export option on the File menu (Application menu).

You need to export the file using the export function in order to retain as much of the model as possible.

That said, Autodesk has purposely modified their exporter to ensure files going to SolidWorks won't look proper.

I have had the best luck exporting from AutoCAD Architecture to Inventor, saving, and then going over to SolidWorks.  Cumbersome, yes, but this is what happens when you have Autodesk viewing other software companies as the enemy.

Hope that helps,

Elise Moss
Moss Designs

So my question is for those that have Inventor.  What do you need me to do to my DWG file so that Inventor can see it?   

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention that, Yes I tried the opening a DWG file, then a DXF file and I exported to STL and to a SAT file with no luck.

I tried the CADexchanger but that showed the same results, so I am thinking that this is an AutoCad thing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 08:21:35 AM »
Did Elise not provide a detailed process for you to follow?  She is typically real good about that...
Sounds like you need to get all three APPS in a room together...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:52 AM »
Did Elise not provide a detailed process for you to follow?  She is typically real good about that...
I copied and pasted her response that you see above.

Sounds like you need to get all three APPS in a room together...
We I got two.  But I am concerned about downloading the student version of Inventor for simply that I fear that I would contaminate the model with Autodesk's Student Watermark.  And I would hate to pay for something just to use it once a month after the 30 day trial version runs out.  And this project is ongoing to run for another year at least.

However that said, the boss said that the thought from the entire team fro this project is that this issue lies on the this particular consultant.  And if any purchasing is going to be done, that it will be by these folks or by the lead firm.  

Fun Fun, Fun.  I will add that I was very surprised that there is very little info on the web for this.

Thanks for the help.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:47:50 AM »
one of those instances where I believe use of 'greyware' is perfectly acceptable
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
Greyware refers to a malicious software or code that is considered to fall in the "grey area" between normal software and a virus. Greyware is a term for which all other malicious or annoying software such as adware, spyware, trackware, and other malicious code and malicious shareware fall under.

:|
I am not following.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
Greyware refers to a malicious software or code that is considered to fall in the "grey area" between normal software and a virus. Greyware is a term for which all other malicious or annoying software such as adware, spyware, trackware, and other malicious code and malicious shareware fall under.

:|
I am not following.

wasn't aware of THAT definition....

trying to imply something less evil than 'software piracy' by using a trial version slightly longer than the trial period for just such instances of file translation

Be your Best

Michael Farrell