Author Topic: Block Replace - Simple question. Complex answer?  (Read 7783 times)

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
Re: Block Replace - Simple question. Complex answer?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
Code: [Select]
<CommandMethod("ReplaceBlocksFromExternal")> _
    Public Sub ReplaceBlocksFromExternal()
        Dim db As Database = HostApplicationServices.WorkingDatabase
        Dim extDB As New Database(False, True)
        extDB.ReadDwgFile("C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop\Test.dwg", FileOpenMode.OpenForReadAndAllShare, True, "")
        Using tr As Transaction = db.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
            Using extTr As Transaction = extDB.TransactionManager.StartTransaction
                Dim bt As BlockTable = db.BlockTableId.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim extBT As BlockTable = extDB.BlockTableId.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim btrCircle As BlockTableRecord = bt("C").GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim btrRectangle As BlockTableRecord = extBT("Rec").GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim map As New IdMapping
                Dim extobjIdColl As New ObjectIdCollection
                extobjIdColl.Add(btrRectangle.ObjectId)
                db.WblockCloneObjects(extobjIdColl, bt.ObjectId, map, _
                                                   DuplicateRecordCloning.Replace, False)
                Dim ip As IdPair = map.Item(btrRectangle.ObjectId)
                Dim clonedBlock As BlockTableRecord = ip.Value.GetObject(OpenMode.ForRead)
                Dim objIdColl As ObjectIdCollection = btrCircle.GetBlockReferenceIds(True, False)
                For Each objId As ObjectId In objIdColl
                    Dim bref As BlockReference = objId.GetObject(OpenMode.ForWrite)
                    bref.BlockTableRecord = clonedBlock.ObjectId
                Next
                tr.Commit()
            End Using
        End Using
    End Sub

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
Sorry it does the as the previos code except the the block that will replace the existing block is in a external drawing

Hope that helps

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »
To Slappy
Chris,
Were you wanting to replace all instances of the block or only selected instances ?
What are your rules about replacing attribute values ??

[added]
ahhh .. I see you've touched on that in  Reply #12
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Bryco

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
fro's looks pretty good.
If you didnt want to change the name of the block, but only replace what's in it, you can clone the objects from within the block in the existing drawing into the block itself, (first you need to delete all in the block). That way the inserts are still there

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 06:57:22 PM »
Like Kerry and Glenn brought up
 I do not know what files you are dealing with for replacing blocks but with the code I posted would not work for files I recieve.  It might be a good idea to create a catch all for dynamics, attributes, overlay the block over the block to be replace to selct a point if you want change the insertion point. etc.

slappy

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
It's a simple idea with complex ramfications.

We are an Architectual firm and sometimes we send out construction documents that need all company information removed.  We need to replace our company border with one that is blank.  So I know what kind of blocks are coming in.  Here's the trick.  I want to give the users a range of options for border replacement via a batch processor.  So currently my code reviews all of our templates and returns a list of available borders.  They pick one and run the processor.  The code pulls the choosen block, clones it into the processed file, and overwrites the old block.  I think fro's code is putting me on the right track, as long as I can plugin all the special bells and whistles.   :evil:

I think the key aspect was running a transaction within a transaction which I was avoiding for some unknown reason.  I've almost got it working, just some syntax issues to work out.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris

slappy

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
You ROCK fro!

Worked like a charm.  ....now for those whistles.   :ugly:

kaefer

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 03:50:03 PM »
... It might be a good idea to create a catch all for dynamics, attributes, overlay the block over the block to be replace to selct a point if you want change the insertion point. etc.

Hi fro2001,

I still don't get what the problem with attributes might be. If you subst the (2 . "BLOCKNAME") part of the good ol' entity list, the attributes of the old block still stay in place. If that's not what was desired, you might want to sync with the new definition. The internal command ATTSYNC does exactly this; what it doesn't do is synching only a selection of block references and/or attributes. Would you want to replicate that functionality?

Cheers, Thorsten

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 04:45:24 PM »
Sorry for not being clear
 I was just commenting that the code would not replace any of the original block references if they were anonoymous.

kaefer

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »
Sorry for not being clear
 I was just commenting that the code would not replace any of the original block references if they were anonoymous.

Sorry for being obstinate.
Your code would also replace any of the original block references if they were references to anonymous blocks, and even replaces them with other anonymous blocks. That is, blocks of the *U variety.

Besides, you're opening the target BlockTableRecord only to retrieve the ObjectId property...

Cheers, Thorsten

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
I must apologize again because I should not post a comment without being clear about what I meant

If the orginal Block was dynamic and anonymous blocks were created from the dynamic definition

The code could be updated to check if the block to be replaced is dynamic and take advantage of the  GetAnonymousBlockIDs Method