Author Topic: $$$ files  (Read 8721 times)

hudster

• Gator
$$$ files
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2004, 12:26:17 PM »
I use express tools movebak command, to move all bak files on every station to the same folder.
I then delete every file over 2 days old, I figure if you don't need it by then you never will.

I also delete the following files regularly.

plot.log
*.err
*.dmp
*.nfl

I also search for any files that contain "recover" in the title, I then make sure they have been recovered, if not, I do so then replace original file with recovered version. But check the date of the files first, the most current version is usually the right one.

Another good thing to do is purge all the drawings you can.  You can download a program called smartpurger, which will purge drawings and save them with their original date format, I've saved GB of space doing this. you need to register it though, the trial version can only do a few drawings.
If your company won't buy this write a script and purge the drawings that way.

After purging, try zipping all the old drawings, you can save about 30% of a files space just by zipping it.

hope this helps.
 :D
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

M-dub

$$$ files
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2004, 12:51:29 PM »
Good tips, Hudster.
I don't know why I didn't think to mention the .err files.  The other CAD guy here creates more of those files than he creates .dwg files!  It's amazing!  I don't know how he does it.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
$$$ files
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2004, 06:06:16 AM »
Quote from: dubb
should you be deleting the bak and sv$ files? they play an important role here. they save my butt when autocad crashes or if i delete a file. those two types of files are stored locally on my workstation. i direct them throught the support options to limit the amount of data written to the server.

I only delete .bak files that are over 1 week old. By that time they will have been backed up on the nightly tape backup anyway. Desperate times need desperate measures!

Thanks for everyones advice. I had not thought about zipping schemes, I will look into that.

Tracey
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

jwisherd

$$$ files
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2004, 11:55:33 AM »
sometimes there are bk1 , bk2 files that can be removed. as well as plt files. Also depending on your setup, do a disk clean up, there may be several temp files or files from websurfing that could be removed.
.bak
.sv$
.ac$
.log
.plt
.bk1
.bk2
depending on how your office works, zip files may also be able to be removed, if you desperatly need the space.
You may also let the higher-ups know how much time you spend each week cleaning up just so that people can work. People tend to be modivated when things are put in terms of time and money. Also take a look at projects that are finished, and can be archived.