Author Topic: Where to start?  (Read 5859 times)

Artisan

Where to start?
« on: December 06, 2004, 07:38:49 AM »
I was hoping to find out if anyone here could recommend a book about using ADT. I have had about 2 months of use with ADT 3.3 and now we are upgrading to AutoCAD 2005 with ADT. I am still lost when it comes to using just basic ADT at times. Is there another text that shows some of the basic uses or methods? Like a beginning ADT for Dummies or something? I came across Accessing Architectural Desktop 2005 and I will probably be getting that to guide into the new features of 2005 ADT. This program seems to be really complicated, am I correct? Is there anyone here that is using 2005 ADT? If so, what do you think of it and what new features seem to be the best for you?

Thanks

ryandk

Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 10:40:17 AM »
If it's an ADT book you're looking for then I would recommend a Paul Aubin book.  I find that while they are still technical the language and presentation strategy are such that a near novice should not be deterred.

He has written two books for ADT 3/3.3, one for 2004, one for 2005, and a Viz Render book.  One of these should help you out.

Ryan

Dommy2Hotty

• Swamp Rat
Where to start?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 01:06:39 PM »

• Bull Frog
Where to start?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 04:02:22 PM »
I have been using 3.3 as a basic tool for the best part of a year, the 3D part of it for only two or three months. We have now switched over to ADT 2005. You are correct there are yards and yards of hidden tools and routines.

I would suggest that you take time to set up office standards as you go, such as standard wall, window, doors, tables etc. Set these up in an office tool pallet.

Take you time. Depending upon you building type, you could start by simply producing 2D plans (yes I know they are 3D but you don’t need to look or consider them as 3D). Produce schedules of doors, windows, furniture, etc, much as you would with 3.3.

The sheet manager looks exciting, although I am yet to use it.

Oh, and get a second screen to keep the tool palettes and all of the other information that you will need.
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

megamike

Where to start?
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 09:35:35 AM »
been using ADT3.3 for about 3 years...about to upgrade to ADT2005.
Just bought both books recommended by ryandk, and agree.
also check out Avatech Solutions website, and view their video tutorials under Tech Tips   http://avatechsolutions.com/training/elearning/techtips.asp
you can pick up a lot of useful tips there for all versions of ADT plus a lot for vanilla AutoCad and LDD