Author Topic: Civil 3D Cross Sections: Pipe display  (Read 5183 times)

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
Civil 3D Cross Sections: Pipe display
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
In our cross sections, our pipes are displaying as several line segments instead of an ellipse. I even noticed that if you explode the pipe, it will be a series of line segments. Is there a way to fix this? Is it the part itself or something entirely different. I was thinking it was WhipArc until I exploded the object to see what it was made up of.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Civil 3D Cross Sections: Pipe display
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 04:54:47 PM »
let me find that post where we discussed that mal-function here

FACETDEV

The following sections describe best practices for displaying pipe networks in profile and section views.

Pipe Appearance in Section View

Pipe sections are drawn using the FACETDEV (Facet Deviation) system variable. This variable controls the smoothness (tessellation) of curved edges of the pipes in section view.

The default value of FACETDEV will usually cause pipe sections to be displayed in section views with line segments, rather than as smooth curves. The following illustration shows an elliptical culvert in section view when FACETDEV is set to 0.5 feet.

If you set FACETDEV lower, to 0.01 for example, the appearance of the pipe sections will become more circular, as shown in the following illustration.

The number you specify for facet deviation defines the maximum distance from the chord to the arc—the chord being an edge that is created from faceting the curve to the true mathematical arc. The facet deviation has a range of greater than zero (0) and no upper limit. The lower this variable is set, the more segments will be used to draw the pipe. The minimum number of segments is 8.

NoteThe maximum number of facets is controlled by the FACETMAX variable. This variable can be set from 100 to 10,000. Note that using a small value for FACETDEV and a large value for FACETMAX will adversely affect drawing performance.
NoteFACETDEV and FACETMAX are AutoCAD Civil 3D variables (rather than AutoCAD variables). They are therefore not listed when using the AutoCAD command SETVAR.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:13:27 PM by Spawn »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
The pipe display looks crappy if it drawn like something between a hexagon and a octagon.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
you will want to find a setting that works for you....and then be sure to set it in your TEMPLATE(s) so it wont bother you any more
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:20:59 PM »
Thanks so much. I'll give this a go first thing in the morning.
Dropbox

alanjt

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »
Facetdev to 0.01 fixed everything. Thanks again guys. :)
Dropbox