Author Topic: How difficult is C3D to learn?  (Read 12947 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
How difficult is C3D to learn?
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:27:11 AM »
I work for a multi-disciplinary company, and have been put forward to be one of the first to learn/use C3D.

I was just wondering just how difficult a beastie it is to learn?  The company has said there is training included.

So do I run like the wind, and get away...   ;-)

I know this may seem a dumb question, but how different is the work process to plain-jane AutoCAD (and REVIT)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Dinosaur

Re: How difficult is C3D to learn?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »
The main obstacles to becoming proficient with Civil 3D are the resistance to change by both the user who is being pused out of a comfort zone and managers who do not acknowledge the huge learning curve that comes with the change together with reviewing agencies that have an established set of requirements that can range from difficult to nearly impossible to generate with Civil 3D.  Many favorite customizations may not work as before if at all with Civil 3D.  There are also problems with a radically different and often obtuse interface, but it is quite similar to the one for Revit, so you may be past that one.  Workflow is another area that may force changes on staff that have very little to do with the program itself.  Surveyors are especially prone to having their established procedures conflict with the most efficient workflow for Civil 3D.
Much of this can be mitigated with a comprehensive training program that takes your individual company's specialties and needs into account and follows through with continuing support.  If your promised training is a canned three day session for a select few of a large pool of potential users I would put your cahnces for a sucessful deployment and conversion to Civil 3d at 10%, perhaps even less.

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:33:59 AM »
If you are a civil engineer or designer and know what an alignment, profile, cross section, and surface, etc. are, and you are not tasked with the setup of the program, then getting in an doing some basic tasks is not that difficult.

Where the learning curve really comes in, is the setup and adjustment of the thousands of settings. Generally speaking, Land Desktop, Carlson, Eagle Point, etc. are add-on's on top of AutoCAD. These programs for the most part calculated where geometry and annotation needed to go and created AutoCAD entities. For example, if you created a label for a profile and it needed adjusting or the text needed tweaked, you could just simply use AutoCAD commands to do this.

As a general rule in C3D however, labels and geometry are products of the information provided, and changes to the appearance of these objects are not typically controlled by AutoCAD commands, but rather by the hundreds (if not thousands) of styles and their settings. This is where I see people struggle. To change the color of a TEXT object in AutoCAD may take a few seconds, but to change the color of a Label object in C3D could take minutes or even hours to find the place to change this if you don't know where to look.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
Thanks Dino
The training is for a select few to start with, to become proficient. The training seems to be comprehensive for the first group of people through(of which I have been nominated) including the installation and configuration. They have asked for some regular users, some Eng's to be the first ones through, and our software provider has promised a full range of support.
Our company seems to be going the full "BIM"type route, full-bore. We cannot buy vanilla ACAD anymore, and they seem to be understanding we cant use the "new" technology without sufficient training and backup.
I have to admit, I'm pleased the boss chose me, it gives me something else to learn, and a new skill :)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »
If you are a civil engineer or designer and know what an alignment, profile, cross section, and surface, etc. are, and you are not tasked with the setup of the program, then getting in an doing some basic tasks is not that difficult.

Thanks for your input.
I'm not an engineer, but frequently have to pick up drawings created in MX and transferred to ACAD and make them readable/understandable and issue worthy, so I presume that I will not need the more complex tools?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
It's very easy to learn; given you hire an instructor that can teach you without reading the lessons directly from the book.

There is just a different mindset to adjust to, in that the civil Objects have Styles, and this is where they get their look and feel, the cad standards side of life.

Other than than adjusting to that...if you understand civil design concepts it really isn't too terrible.

I think you will be able to learn and apply quite a bit from my free tutorials.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »
I'm not an engineer, but frequently have to pick up drawings created in MX and transferred to ACAD and make them readable/understandable and issue worthy, so I presume that I will not need the more complex tools?

That's a loaded question...

If you aren't using the tools in Civil 3D, then you can save a lot of money by getting plain Autocad.  But if you want to leverage the power and capabilities of the tools in Civil 3D, then you would want to transfer design information out of MX and create live design elements in Civi 3D.

I guess it depends on what you're doing in MX, and what you're doing in C3D...  In general, the two don't play that well together, so you would want to do significant chunks of design in either one or the other.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:43 AM »
Where the learning curve really comes in, is the setup and adjustment of the thousands of settings. Generally speaking, Land Desktop, Carlson, Eagle Point, etc. are add-on's on top of AutoCAD. These programs for the most part calculated where geometry and annotation needed to go and created AutoCAD entities. For example, if you created a label for a profile and it needed adjusting or the text needed tweaked, you could just simply use AutoCAD commands to do this.
I know what point you're try to make but, C3D is an add-on too.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:50:20 AM »

That's a loaded question...

If you aren't using the tools in Civil 3D, then you can save a lot of money by getting plain Autocad.  But if you want to leverage the power and capabilities of the tools in Civil 3D, then you would want to transfer design information out of MX and create live design elements in Civi 3D.

I guess it depends on what you're doing in MX, and what you're doing in C3D...  In general, the two don't play that well together, so you would want to do significant chunks of design in either one or the other.
Sorry I guess I didnt explain that too well.
Currently the designs are done on MX. The company is wanting everyone to use C3D for the design and unless a client states that they want MX or ay Bentley design they will be using Autodesk products, hopefully making it a seamless transfer to be able to produce the final drawings instead of the process it is now. 

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:37 AM »
I think the majority of the work could still be designed in C3D....and then a combination of tools to export it into MX/Bentley to provide final deliverables  would also be a practical workflow solutions for those clients as well Mrs. Doe.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »
Currently the designs are done on MX. The company is wanting everyone to use C3D for the design and unless a client states that they want MX or ay Bentley design they will be using Autodesk products, hopefully making it a seamless transfer to be able to produce the final drawings instead of the process it is now.  

In that case, you'll definitely need to learn to use the Civil 3D elements.

One of the problems that you'll probably run into is that Civil 3D is not like other software.  In the past, an Engineer might design a project, and then a CAD drafter would create the plans from the Engineer's work (which was often done by hand, on paper).

With Civil 3D, you design your model, and annotation is created by applying display styles and label sets to your model.  So a lot of the old-style drafting work is largely eliminated.  But it means that you are actually creating the design and doing the engineering IN CIVIL 3D, and the plan pages (at least to a large degree) are "auto-generated" from your design.  If you try to work "old-school", with an Engineer designing on paper and a CAD Tech trying to create plan sets from that design, you are losing most of the power of your software.  In fact, you'll probably end up FIGHTING the software, and that can result in a very bad experience for all involved.

This is the point that some companies have the greatest trouble with during their transition, even more so than the stuff RK McSwain mentioned.

Dinosaur

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
One of the problems that you'll probably run into is that Civil 3D is not like other software.  In the past, an Engineer might design a project, and then a CAD drafter would create the plans from the Engineer's work (which was often done by hand, on paper).

With Civil 3D, you design your model, and annotation is created by applying display styles and label sets to your model.  So a lot of the old-style drafting work is largely eliminated.  But it means that you are actually creating the design and doing the engineering IN CIVIL 3D, and the plan pages (at least to a large degree) are "auto-generated" from your design.  If you try to work "old-school", with an Engineer designing on paper and a CAD Tech trying to create plan sets from that design, you are losing most of the power of your software.  In fact, you'll probably end up FIGHTING the software, and that can result in a very bad experience for all involved.

This is the point that some companies have the greatest trouble with during their transition, even more so than the stuff RK McSwain mentioned.

EXACTLY the point I was trying to make in my first very rushed response.  The software is now mature enough to do almost anything required to create a useable set of construction documents although there will likely need to be some compromises needed for some cosmetic items.  Changes in long established work flow and job responsibilities can potentially derail an otherwise smooth transition.  Above all else, there must be a full commitment by users and management alike to the change for the best chance at a successful migration to Civil 3D.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
to add an echo to Dino's points....

this transition is best handled right at the very beginning with emphasis on workflow and process changes built right into the training....

Typically this is NOT covered by any autodesk vendor unless and until you pay a lot more for what they call 'customized' training.

These changes in workflow and responsibilities ARE covered in my classes, as they are all tailored directly to the customers needs in advance.  And the lesson plans I prepare are open and flexible enough to adapt as various skills or weakness of same are exposed and remedied as much as practicable right there in class. 

It's a powerful tool, and when placed in the hands of those that know, and understand the design constraints a lot of profit can be made.  If however the transition is NOT made and those that don't know the design side are waiting on those that do to give good direction then a lot of profits can be lost.  Or if the designers and engineers bother to teach the draftsperson some design skills, AND give them good direction...even more profits can be made, as the lowest cost operator can produce very usable results.

However the Engineers, and Designers must still learn to use C3D, or the Revision Cycle will become a vortex that sucks all the profit right out of the contract.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

rkmcswain

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:45:25 AM »
Quote from: Mark
[/quote
I know what point you're try to make but, C3D is an add-on too.

Well, in the sense that C3D is built on AutoCAD Map, then I guess you could say that. True, C3D is not like Revit or Inventor.

But the main point in that statement was that the other civil programs out there create AutoCAD entities (for the most part.... I know that LDT has points, grading objects, etc) - and that C3D (for the most part) creates objects that can't be manipulated using traditional AutoCAD editing commands. ---- and learning how to change the appearance of C3D objects is a huge stumbling block for a lot of people.

sinc

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
Nick Zeeben has said that Civil 3D is not built on Map.  They share the geospatial library, but that's it.

The problem with that is that we've been told for years that the reason Map can't see Civil 3D objects is that Civil 3D is built on top of Map.  But it sounds like that isn't the case.  So that leads me to wonder what Autodesk's excuse is now for the disconnect between Map and Civil 3D....    :|

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »
Nick Zeeben has said that Civil 3D is not built on Map.  They share the geospatial library, but that's it.

The problem with that is that we've been told for years that the reason Map can't see Civil 3D objects is that Civil 3D is built on top of Map.  But it sounds like that isn't the case.  So that leads me to wonder what Autodesk's excuse is now for the disconnect between Map and Civil 3D....    :|
I've been asking this question for well over 6(six) years???? 
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but this has reared its head again.

My office has access to all versions of the software (I believe). Which is the most stable version/least resource hungry version, and are there any issues with projects created on one version being opened in a newer or older version?

It looks like they might have to install a 64bit operating system so I can have more RAM, but theres no money available for a new super-duper spec machine :(
I have an ESRI file of 750Mb I need to open for my current job, and my poor machine is spluttering, and crashing when opening the file. Would a 64bit OS and more RAM help?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »

My office has access to all versions of the software (I believe). Which is the most stable version/least resource hungry version, and are there any issues with projects created on one version being opened in a newer or older version?

It looks like they might have to install a 64bit operating system so I can have more RAM, but theres no money available for a new super-duper spec machine :(
I have an ESRI file of 750Mb I need to open for my current job, and my poor machine is spluttering, and crashing when opening the file. Would a 64bit OS and more RAM help?

There is little to NO backward/forward compatibility with C3D....one can ONLY upgrade to newer version, and then the data can't be opened by older versions.  It's a symtom of the Upgrade Virus.
You should not need a 64 bit OS to increase system page file(s) large enough to handle the data in question. You would want to add additional physical hardrives and configure as primary swap file location to Windows.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 11:52:41 AM »
As far as stable/resource hungry, that's a difficult call...  C3D 2009 probably works the best on a 32-bit XP system, but is also the oldest decent version, and lacking many improvements found in 2010 and 2011.  C3D 2010 is probably best for a newer system at the moment.  I think some might be using C3D 2011, but personally, I don't trust it yet, and am waiting for the first service pack (there are already a lot of hotfixes for 2011).  C3D 2011 is the only one that is actually 64-bit, though, so as far as memory issues go, it is the only one that really promises to solve those problems, but it's also the one that makes the greatest use of the new Windows features like WPF.  They did a lot of work on reliability and bug fixing between 2010 and 2011, but they also seemed to introduce some things that hurt the reliability, especially on Win XP.

Contrary to what Michael says, adjusting your pagefile is unlikely to have much (if any) impact, unless you were already messing with it and put it into bad settings, or unless you have 2GB or less of RAM (which is hopefully not the case).  You can try maximizing it to verify, but don't be surprised if it has no effect.

On a 32-bit OS, the only way to radically change your memory handling is to use the 3GB or USERVA switch to increase the amount of memory available to each application.  Otherwise, your app will run out of memory as soon as it goes through 2GB (task manager will probably say you've used about 1.2 to 1.4GB of memory).

There are also some memory limits built into map image handling within Autocad.  These were intended to prevent Autocad from using so much memory for images that the rest of the application hangs.  Those can be changed by typing MAPIOPTIONS and going to the Memory tab.

Really, if you're planning on using Civil 3D, you want to be using Vista x64 or Win 7 x64.  But if you have to connect to lots of Map data, you may have issues with database connectivity - a lot of GIS stuff is still using the old Access stuff, and only works in the 32-bit OS.  So you may want to verify that you can use your databases from 64-bit Map/C3D before committing to that.

LE3

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:03 PM »
<...>
Hi Sinc,

Any idea about some issues I have with Civil 3D 2011, here:

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=34326.0

No idea if you have seen that topic, thank you in advance....
<back to this thread>

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 12:07:27 PM »
I want to see the data, and test on a(n) older system I have here, configured as described....just to be contrary scientific about it.   :wink:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:22:53 PM by eNot That Kind Of Class »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
additionally, one might ask the originator of that SHP file to split it up by layers/feature classifications and provide multiple smaller files...that is unless the data set has already been groomed to it's effective minimum coverage already
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

Any idea about some issues I have with Civil 3D 2011, here:

No.  I couldn't really follow what you were doing in that thread.  But I've been using .NET to interact with C3D, which means I am netloading DLLs into C3D.  It sounds like you are trying to use ARX from out-of-process, and I haven't tried doing that.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 06:00:25 AM »
I want to see the data, and test on a(n) older system I have here, configured as described....just to be contrary scientific about it.   :wink:
I'm sorry Michael, this file is much too big to send via email, and as its a job we are bidding for, they might be funny about letting it out of the office.  We have just asked the other office for the merged file to be put on our network as seperate files for me to build up just the areas we need rather than show large areas that we dont :) 

Hopefully I will be able to do something with those files instead :)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 06:06:11 AM »

There is little to NO backward/forward compatibility with C3D....one can ONLY upgrade to newer version, and then the data can't be opened by older versions.  It's a symtom of the Upgrade Virus.
So C3D is like Revit in that respect?  Looks like we'll have to choose the version to install with great care. Do all versions export to AutoCAD OK, as the final version will need to be sent to the client as AutoCAD files (as well as PDFs)
You should not need a 64 bit OS to increase system page file(s) large enough to handle the data in question. You would want to add additional physical hardrives and configure as primary swap file location to Windows.
This information is something I will need to discuss with our IT dept to see if they can do soemthing like that for me.
Thanks Michael.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 06:08:35 AM »
As far as stable/resource hungry, that's a difficult call...  C3D 2009 probably works the best on a 32-bit XP system, but is also the oldest decent version, and lacking many improvements found in 2010 and 2011.  C3D 2010 is probably best for a newer system at the moment.  I think some might be using C3D 2011, but personally, I don't trust it yet, and am waiting for the first service pack (there are already a lot of hotfixes for 2011).  C3D 2011 is the only one that is actually 64-bit, though, so as far as memory issues go, it is the only one that really promises to solve those problems, but it's also the one that makes the greatest use of the new Windows features like WPF.  They did a lot of work on reliability and bug fixing between 2010 and 2011, but they also seemed to introduce some things that hurt the reliability, especially on Win XP.

Contrary to what Michael says, adjusting your pagefile is unlikely to have much (if any) impact, unless you were already messing with it and put it into bad settings, or unless you have 2GB or less of RAM (which is hopefully not the case).  You can try maximizing it to verify, but don't be surprised if it has no effect.

On a 32-bit OS, the only way to radically change your memory handling is to use the 3GB or USERVA switch to increase the amount of memory available to each application.  Otherwise, your app will run out of memory as soon as it goes through 2GB (task manager will probably say you've used about 1.2 to 1.4GB of memory).

There are also some memory limits built into map image handling within Autocad.  These were intended to prevent Autocad from using so much memory for images that the rest of the application hangs.  Those can be changed by typing MAPIOPTIONS and going to the Memory tab.

Really, if you're planning on using Civil 3D, you want to be using Vista x64 or Win 7 x64.  But if you have to connect to lots of Map data, you may have issues with database connectivity - a lot of GIS stuff is still using the old Access stuff, and only works in the 32-bit OS.  So you may want to verify that you can use your databases from 64-bit Map/C3D before committing to that.
Thanks for this detailed information Sinc. I'll pass this to our IT person to see what he can do for us in the timescale we need it done.

Thanks again
T :)

sinc

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »
This information is something I will need to discuss with our IT dept to see if they can do soemthing like that for me.
Thanks Michael.

Note that the pagefile is unlikely to solve any problems.  The memory limit is actually caused by the 32-bit OS.  On a 32-bit OS, each application is limited to a total of 2GB of memory use, which can be increased to a maximum of 3GB of memory use using the 3GB or USERVA switch in your boot parameters.  This is total memory usage for the application, which includes how much space it is taking up in both the pagefile and in RAM, and each application has its own 2-3GB limit.  No matter how much RAM you have, and no matter how big your pagefile, a single application is still limited to 2-3GB total usage.  The application can run out of memory, even if your system still has space in RAM and/or the pagefile, because it can't access any more than 2-3GB total at any one time.

The default Windows pagefile settings work fine for almost all users.  You can manually set the pagefile to maximum size (4GB, on a 32-bit OS) if you wish, but this is unlikely to allow your application to use any more memory (unless the settings were already wrong, or unless your system is light on RAM to start with).  It might let you have more programs open in the background without running out of memory, however, since you will also run out of memory if the total memory usage of everything running on your machine exceeds what is available in your RAM+Pagefile.  All a second hard drive does is potentially speed up access to the pagefile, which may be noticeable from time to time if you are hitting the pagefile a lot.  But it won't have any other effect, and will not enable you to use larger images.

Unfortunately, it gets worse...  In C3D 2009 and earlier, the MAPIINSERT command will fail if you have the 3GB switch set, or if you are using a 64-bit OS.  So to do this, you want to be using C3D 2010 or C3D 2011.

The only way to really have any impact on all of this is to switch to a 64-bit OS.  But the new OS uses more memory as well, so in addition to something like Win 7 x64, you need a lot of RAM - preferably 8GB minimum for dual-channel systems, or 12GB minimum for tri-channel systems.  C3D 2011 x64 is a memory hog, and likes you to throw as much RAM in there as possible.  If you are on C3D 2010, it's still a 32-bit app, and is still limited.  But on a 64-bit OS, your app can use up to 4GB of memory, instead of the 2-3GB limit you have on the 32-bit OS, so it can make quite a difference.

As another note, your app will actually run out of memory faster than that.  (Remember, "memory usage" is space taken up in RAM + space taken up in the pagefile.)  Internally, memory can get fragmented, much like a hard drive.  So if you are on a 32-bit system, your app can ostensibly use 2GB of memory, but it will actually run out of memory when Task Manager is saying it's only used about 1.3GB of memory.  If you set the 3GB switch, then your app generally runs out of memory when Task Manager says it's used about 2.1GB, and on a 64-bit OS, your app will run out of memory when Task Manager says it has used a bit under 3GB of memory.  This is true of all 32-bit applications, and Civil 3D is a 32-bit application through the 2010 version.  So C3D 2011 x64 is the only version that can take advantage of any more memory than that.

The upshot of all of this is that the first thing to definitely check is your image memory allocation in C3D - e.g., type MAPIOPTIONS and go to the Memory tab.  Other than that, the only thing that really has any impact on a 32-bit OS is setting the 3GB switch, but that may break the MAPIINSERT command.  The ideal solution is to move to a 64-bit OS with lots of RAM, which is the only thing that can really make this issue fade away.  (Just remember that in order to use the MAPIINSERT command with the 3GB switch set or on a 64-bit OS, you have to be on C3D 2010 or later.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:27:34 AM by sinc »

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 05:19:26 AM »
Thanks for all this very thorough information. I will pass it to the relevent parties (my boss and the IT people) and hopefully something will happen.

One thing I did notice, when I went to see the people in our company that use ARC GIS, the map opened, and they said it was big. There was little infomation left that could be taken out, but the file was even making their machine struggle a little, and suggested getting in touch with the people who sent us the file to see if they can send it across in more manageble chunks for the parts we need.

Next time I go on the puter that has Civil3d installed, I will check the memory settings.

Thanks for your help
T :)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 10:40:22 AM »
Tracey, you folks could use a Map Book-like feature in Arc Map, or C3D to query and then save the data to smaller pieces for your own needs.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

drizzt

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:20 AM »
Some of the people here at the office are having a real hard time with it! I think if you take the time to learn the right way... and know that you need to learn it. It is just time.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »
Tracey, you folks could use a Map Book-like feature in Arc Map, or C3D to query and then save the data to smaller pieces for your own needs.
We will do that for the parts we have, but as big as that file is, it doesnt extend far enough on 2 boundaries, so the client still needs to send more information. We have asked them to do it in smaller areas :)