Author Topic: Cross Sections  (Read 4265 times)

jbaxter

Cross Sections
« on: November 09, 2004, 12:16:45 AM »
Greetings,

I have LDDT 2004 but finding the cross section utility does not really create something useful for me.

I want to create a dtm of an original surface and a design surface and have have a centreline of which I would like to cut cross sections say at 10 metre interval and have the cross section created for 50 metres either side of this centreline.

Figures in the table should show offset either side of the CL , elevation for natural surface and design surface.

Is there a routine that will deliver this? I do not have civil design.

Regards,
John

Dent Cermak

Cross Sections
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 08:14:26 AM »
Unless I am mistaken, you need Civil Design to do what you want. The full x-section package is part of the civil design pac. The way they break it up, in order to do all of the stuff that a survey firm needs to do, they must have LDD, survey pac and the civil pac. They mix all the stuff around so you need the full deal. Those poor babies must have some way to make money, bless their hearts.

jbaxter

Cross Sections
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 05:48:39 PM »
Nope, just want one single routine that will work with the tin files I have already created without civil design!!!

Thanks,
JB

Dent Cermak

Cross Sections
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:28:17 PM »
But you have to create an alignment to base the cross sections on. The tin files are not all you need for the x-sections. It's the going out the line a given distance and then interpolating the correct z value based on the tin that will be the trick. That's what the alignment does.
I'm willing to bet Cadaver may have such a thing though. Rub is, is it proprietary to his company or available to share. It will be a fairly involved routine and I don't know of any freeware to do it.

jbaxter

Cross Sections
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 06:55:44 PM »
You would think that after spending $6k+ on LDD software that you would be able to produce useful cross-sections, that is what the boss is asking me!!!

JB

Dent Cermak

Cross Sections
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 07:18:12 PM »
But the Poor Babies have to have a way to make money!?? They've played this "Package" game for several years now. But you shouldn't be mad at AutoDesk......however the guy that sold you the software is deserving of a punch in the choppers. It's his job to look at what you do and sell you the package you need. HE should have told you up front that what he was selling would not meet your needs. I would activly seek another supplier. This guy let you down for no good reason.