Author Topic: New C3D Tools are here!  (Read 3838 times)

sinc

New C3D Tools are here!
« on: February 18, 2008, 12:20:57 PM »
OK, I've been working frantically for probably the last five months on giving the Sincpac-C3D a complete overhaul.  It now includes many, many more features, along with integrated help and a nice'n'simple installer.

However, I'm not giving away this version.  These tools are just the beginning of what I have planned, but they make C3D much nicer to use.  People who have been using them so far regularly get back to me with comments like "just this one routine saved me over two hours yesterday!"  And that's right after they install it - as they get more-familiar with all the commands, they soon reach the point where they can't even use C3D unless the Sincpac-C3D is installed.

I still plan on updating the "free source code" that I give away, in support of helping other people in the community learn how to use .NET to customize AutoCAD and Civil-3D.  I have created some stock components (user controls, etc.) that illustrate how to encapsulate the "nasty grunge" of dealing with the API, and make it much easier and faster to write custom routines.  It is a HUGE improvement over the source code I have posted so far.  But for obvious reasons, this "community service" has been on the back burner while I've been trying to get the all-new Sincpac-C3D released.  It's coming soon, though, for those of you who have been or want to "roll your own"...

But as of today, the new tool suite can be acquired from the Quux Software web site.  I also posted pages from the help file at that web site, so you can browse the complete functionality.

Enjoy!  May it save you as many hours of work as it's saved us!

sinc

Re: New C3D Tools are here!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »
And now, for those of you who still haven't figured out that you want to get the Full Version of the Sincpac-C3D 2008, I have released a new version of the Free Edition!

This version is missing the tastiest tools from the Full Version.  For example, the new CAPSURFACE (Create Alignment and Profile, sample Surface) command, which makes it a breeze to come up with Alignments and Profiles that follow surfaces. For example, turn that proposed waterline into a normal polyline, then pick it and the EG surface. Tell CAPSURFACE to create a Profile that is within ±0.5' of the surface, and watch it immediately create an Alignment and Profile that follows the surface with a minimum number of grade breaks.  And at the same time, drop it 5 feet, so it's ready to be dumped into a data collector and staked in the field.

But the free version has some nice improvements over the old version.  And it comes with integrated help (although it is the help for the Full Version, so you get to see the documentation for all those nifty commands you don't get in the Free Version), and it's in an installer package, so it's simple to get running.

Enjoy!

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
what was in the utility software?  I dont use C3d, but thought Id check out the utility code

edit:
Nevermind, Im an idiot.  I found the utility code
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:10:36 PM by CmdrDuh »
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

sinc

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 10:50:45 AM »
OK, got a new version posted.  Some of the improvements since the original post:

• CAPFEATURE command for creating Alignments and Profiles directly from Feature Lines and Survey Figures, which allows optional pruning of vertical PVIs but does not lose horizontal curves.  Useful for when you don't want to use STAKEFEATURES to generate offset points, and would rather just load the feature into your data collector as an Alignment/Profile.  Or, you can turn that Survey Figure your field crew collected directly into an Alignment and Profile.
  • CAPSURFACE command for creating an Alignment/Profile from a polyline, sampling elevations from a Surface.  Also capable of pruning the vertical, so you don't end up with a ton of PVIs.  Can also create an EG Profile, and drop the FG profile at the same time - never has it been faster to calc a waterline.  Literally, it can take only seconds.
  • CREATELOWERING command - pick a Profile, enter the station, elevation, length, and bend angle for a lowering, and it is created for you.
  • Automatic Profile View creation in all commands that create Alignments and Profiles.
  • ADDPTGROUP and IDPTGROUP -  useful commands for managing point groups.
  • Improve STAKEFEATURES - there are now a number of new options.
  • Improve LOTCORNERS - now, you have more control over how points are placed, and can limit them to only Parcels with certain Parcel Styles.  Points also go onto Parcels in numerical order, according to the Parcel Number, so the point numbers don't jump around so much.
  • Generic UI improvements, command improvements, etc.

I have also fixed the bug that interrupted layer creation in CTB-Based drawings.  (Attempting to create a new layer in a CTB drawing would throw an exception.)  This fix has also been included in the Free Edition, which also has a new download (but no new functionality).  I have also upgraded the AcadUtilities library in the Source Code to the latest 1.3 version.  (The rest of the source code is the same as the original release.)

sinc

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
OK, I got a 30-day trial version posted!

It only works on XP.  But I'll get a version that works in Vista posted as soon as possible.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the trial version only works on XP if the user runs as administrator (which I always do, because it's too annoying to do otherwise in Windows).  I'm working on a more-elaborate solution that will work on Vista, and support automatic license and activation codes, and all that other unfortunately-necessary stuff.  But at least now there's some sort of 30-day trial available, which is a start...

http://www.quux.biz

Right now, the trial version that automatically shuts itself down to the functionality of the Free Version after 30 days.  However, those features retain all their functionality, so the Trial Edition is better than the Free Edition, which is currently more-limited in options for commands like STAKEFEATURES.

All versions will install over any currently-installed version; there is no need to uninstall the current version first (unless you have been loading the software via a NETLOAD command).

sinc

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
The Sincpac-C3D v2.0 is here!  This version adds the "Missing Links" to Civil-3D.

Dynamically link Cogo Points to Surfaces, Profiles, Alignments, Feature Lines, and more, so that the point elevation automatically changes whenever you change the model or move the point.  You can also configure the Cogo Point to display a dynamic Station/Offset in Raw Description, so it is now possible to create dynamic Point/Station/Offset tables.

And dynamically link Profile PVIs to Surfaces, other Profiles, or adjacent PVIs in the same Profile.  Tie that profile into your overall site grading pad, and watch your access road corridor dynamically move to match any changes to your grading pad.  Or link those side-road Profiles, so they dynamically change with the mainline.

And with the release of the core linking framework, watch for a whole series of new commands and features in the coming weeks.  For example, soon I'll release an update that allows for easy creation of linked 3-line Profiles, so the Left and Right flowline Profiles change automatically with the centerline Profile, among other things.

And the Sincpac-C3D is still in its infancy.  There is much more to come.  Things are getting exciting!

sinc

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
I've started to get some video demonstrations posted.

There are now two video demonstrations that introduce some of the Dynamic Link functionality.  They don't illustrate all of the functionality, but one video provides a good introduction to the Dynamic Point Links, and the other demonstrates the basic Profile-to-Profile Dynamic Link functionality.  These videos will be of interest to all users of Civil-3D.  These new Dynamic Links are something you have to see in action before you can really believe them.  (This Dynamic Link functionality is only available in the Full Edition.)

There is also another video that shows one technique for generating 3' offsets to curb.  There are many ways to do this, but this first video "tutorial" is useful in situations where you have gotten 2D-Linework and Flowline Profiles from an Engineer who is not using Civil-3D.  This tutorial can be performed with the tools available in the Free Edition of the Sincpac-C3D.  This video will be most-interesting for the Surveyors, and shows how to blast in Curb-and-Gutter offset points for an entire subdivision in a very short timeframe.

http://www.quux.biz

As time goes on, I'll get more video demonstrations and tutorials posted.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
excellent work there SINC!
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

sinc

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:16:23 PM »
We couldn't wait for 2011...   :wink:

We put out a new release of the Sincpac-C3D.  Unfortunately, it removes some of the tools from the Free Edition, which will be disappointing to those who've gotten addicted to the StakeFeatures routine in the Free Edition.

But there's also some pretty nifty new tools...  An "Entity Tracker" palette that is quite handy, a tool for exporting Cogo Points to Google Earth, a new tool for comparing found monuments to parcels, and of course, the Style Comparer and Style Renamer.

Some of you may have caught a sneak-preview of one of the Style Comparer, in one of Jeff's recent posts to the .NET forum.  Well, the command is now available to try out for yourself.  These two new Style commands join our other Style commands, which can Import or Export hundreds of styles between drawings in only a second or two.  It really helps mitigate the Style nightmare.

Full details can be found on our website.

We think these new tools will really help make Civil 3D a much more enjoyable experience.  At least, that's our hope...   We've been having lots of fun with them...   ^-^

LE3

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
Some of you may have caught a sneak-preview of one of the Style Comparer, in one of Jeff's recent posts to the .NET forum.  Well, the command is now available to try out for yourself.  

Hi Sinc,
Just curios, is Jeff part of your programmers team?   :-)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »
Some of you may have caught a sneak-preview of one of the Style Comparer, in one of Jeff's recent posts to the .NET forum.  Well, the command is now available to try out for yourself.  

Hi Sinc,
Just curios, is Jeff part of your programmers team?   :-)

Looking at the dialogs for  CompareCivilStyles module, I'd say so :)
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

LE3

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
Yep.

Looks like he is :)

Hi Sinc,
Just curios, is Jeff part of your programmers team?   :-)

Looking at the dialogs for  CompareCivilStyles module, I'd say so :)