Author Topic: Exporting all custom buttons and settings, etc  (Read 2585 times)

Andrew H

Exporting all custom buttons and settings, etc
« on: November 29, 2004, 11:59:41 AM »
I'm sure there's a way to export all my custom buttons, button icons, active toolbars, etc, so I can e-mail it (or burn it to a CD if it's too big) to access it on my home computer so all my setting are the same without having to go locate everything one by one.

Anyone with knowledge of how to do this?

hyposmurf

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 03:07:24 PM »
Ive often wondered that myself, have to copy them over and then set them all back up.

Andrew H

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 03:14:57 PM »
I was assuming it would work to export the profile, but wasn't sure.

I'll see if the HELP file as anything about it, or if the LISP gurus can come up with something.

CADaver

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
Copy the MNS and all the icons needed for it to the new location.

hyposmurf

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »
Wouldnt it have been a nice addition for Autodesk to have all your settings,profile,menus etc exported via the click of a button,ready to imported.

ML

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 03:54:46 PM »
Actually Hypo, it does

Go to Tools, Profiles, Export and name your profile

Go to your new install, import that profile and ALL will be OK. It will look just like the profile that you exported.

Andrew H

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2004, 04:00:49 PM »
But will that work if you put it onto another computer, or would you also have to have all your custom button images too?

hyposmurf

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 04:01:16 PM »
Quote from: ML
Actually Hypo, it does

Go to your new install, import that profile and ALL will be OK. It will look just like the profile that you exported.

Yeh I realise that,but what I meant is a complete package,menus,profile and settings etc,all exported to a file location in a package then import them to your other PC.Wishfull thinking I know,but when transferring all your files,things get missed until your working away and suddenly realise.

CADaver

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 05:44:42 PM »
Quote from: ML
Actually Hypo, it does

That will only work for machines in the same network.  To get your "work setup" home you'll have to copy more than just the profile.

CADaver

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 05:47:29 PM »
Quote from: hyposmurf
Wouldnt it have been a nice addition for Autodesk to have all your settings,profile,menus etc exported via the click of a button,ready to imported.
As the owner/author of a considerable amount of customization, I'd just as soon leave the pilfering of such, as difficult as possible.

ML

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2004, 01:05:28 PM »
That is correct, the profile is only good in the exact same scenario.

For instance, you reinstall AutoCAD.

Keep in mind that profiles will be saving registry settings and such as well, so that will be different from OS to OS, machine to machine.

It would be nice to use VB or something like it to package up all of your resources then execute them like a program to another machine