Author Topic: Titlesheets as xresfs  (Read 5345 times)

JCTER

Re: Titlesheets as xresfs
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »
I do not think that If the titleblock is set correctly one MUST plot by WINDOW an not by Layout...every office whose standards I've helped develop uses LAYOUT not window when plotting from layouts.

The problem we have with LAYOUT is that it can create issues with Page Setup Overrides.  So we use "Extents" a lot instead.  This has the drawback that we can't have any clutter laying around our layout in paperspace, but we typically have no clutter there anyway, so it works out.

Same here.  "Extents" is just a simple no brainer implementation, and controlling the plotting area is as simple as having a 'point' on the non-plotting layer, at the desired extents, or using the X,Y offset in your plot dialog, saved in the page setup.  6 of one, half a dozen of the other, as I see it on that part.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Titlesheets as xrefs
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »
What 'problems' are created using page setup overrides?
From my experience, there should be none.  What are they if they can be described explicitly?  Those 'problems' might be caused by how one has ones layouts set up...

If PAGE Setup A uses plot by layout
and page setup B uses plot by Layout

what gets plotted wrong?

If one can not or does not use BY LAYOUT, there are some fundamental flaws in the process of creating the Page Setups.

Please send me an example of a file where LAYOUT doesn't work for all page setups, and I can discover WHY, and WHAT should be done to enable same to work without issues.  Unless of course, this is a fundamental flaw in the version of ACAD you are using.

(Perhaps this should spawn a second topic in PLOTTING?  Interestingly enough I am finding no discussion about 'problems' using BY LAYOUT and plotting in the usual places.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:27:44 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
I do not think that If the titleblock is set correctly one MUST plot by WINDOW an not by Layout...every office whose standards I've helped develop uses LAYOUT not window when plotting from layouts.

The problem we have with LAYOUT is that it can create issues with Page Setup Overrides.  So we use "Extents" a lot instead.  This has the drawback that we can't have any clutter laying around our layout in paperspace, but we typically have no clutter there anyway, so it works out.

Same here.  "Extents" is just a simple no brainer implementation, and controlling the plotting area is as simple as having a 'point' on the non-plotting layer, at the desired extents, or using the X,Y offset in your plot dialog, saved in the page setup.  6 of one, half a dozen of the other, as I see it on that part.

I use plot by view.  Set my view in paper space to limits that I haves set in paper space and never have a problem.  With this method, we do not have to worry about stuff outside the limits and cured our problems with layout with ill-effect to pagesetups.  Yes MJ, we too have had a problems with "plot by layout" but we have been use this method for so long, I would not have any examples to give.  :wink:
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
It might be NON typical to have multiple title blocks in one XREF, however there really doesn't seem to be a need to keep veering away from the path of normal(typical) to implement this solution.  Further the closer to normal and typical you keep this 'solution'; the easier it will be for the users to adapt to, and actually use the 'solution' otherwise it becomes just another problem to work around.

Define Normal.   For that matter define Typical.

The definitions for those terms IMO are infused personal opinions so that "normal" adapts to ones needs. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:42:38 AM by Krushert »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »
From your answer Krush; it is starting to appear that the 'problem' with by layout is one of implementation and not within the application.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:28:04 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
From your answer Krush; it is starting to appear that the 'problem' with by layout is one of implementation and not within the application.

Hmmm Okay.  Thank you Mr Assumption.

JCTER

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:55 PM »

Kick his ass, Sea Bass!  :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »

Hmmm Okay.  Thank you Mr Assumption.
Well, whats a person supposed to do, when it appears that no one can list explicitly what the 'problems' are when using Page Setup overrides and By Layout, or provide samples drawings that exhibit the probelm?

Should someone give me a drawing that exhibits 'the probelm(s)', I will endeavor to change my position based on facts, when such facts are presented.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:28:19 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

JCTER

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »

Well, whats a person supposed to do, when it appears that no one can list explicitly what the 'problems' are when using Page Setup overrides and By Layout, or provide samples drawings that exhibit the probelm?

Shrug and move on?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »

Should someone give me a drawing that exhibits 'the probelm(s)', I will endeavor to change my position based on facts, when such facts are presented.
I think you did not read this part.
.... Yes MJ, we too have had a problems with "plot by layout" but we have been use this method for so long, I would not have any examples to give.  :wink:
I have not used Plot by Layout for years. Henne why I can not post.  and not I am not about to pull something from between you where just to continue this.

What I did not mention is that I semi-automate my plotting with lisp and to ensure error-free plots I used a draconian method of plot by view.  Just becuase Plot by Layout works for you and Autodesk does not mean it works for us.  Hence my comment of "To each their own"  The OP ask us for our opinions and thoughts.

Good Day.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
Well and good Krush, my thoughts and Opinions remain unchanged by heresay evidence of a 'problem' with By Layout  whilst one is performing Page Setup override plotting.

There is no reason the OP can not and should not use Xrefs for titleblocks, irrespective of plotting output methods.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:27:31 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »
What I did not mention is that I semi-automate my plotting with lisp and to ensure error-free plots I used a draconian method of plot by view....The OP ask us for our opinions and thoughts.

Good Day.
We similar use lisp to make plotting three-quarter automatic - that's why we've recently moved from using "Extents" to "Window" to define the view; I'll have to investigate "Layout" as an option.

The multiple sheets thing kinda reminds me of R14!!

Is it possible to use "Freeze by viewport" to have some layers visible in one layout tab but hidden in another?

dJE
===
dJE

JCTER

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:31 PM »

Is it possible to use "Freeze by viewport" to have some layers visible in one layout tab but hidden in another?

dJE

If you are in paperspace looking through a viewport at the model, with the viewport 'activated' so that you're -in- model space... and you freeze a layer.  That layer is only frozen in -that- viewport.  It is not frozen in model tab, nor will it be frozen in any other viewports you create thereafter.  This can also be done in the layer manager, with viewport active, by using the "VP Freeze" column.

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »
I knew it did that, I just wondered if it considered each layout tab a separate viewport
===
dJE

JCTER

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 06:41:39 PM »
I knew it did that, I just wondered if it considered each layout tab a separate viewport

nope