Author Topic: Locking down the system  (Read 5083 times)

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 05:30:59 PM »
Quote from: jonesy
Quote from: CADaver

Are you a true manager, with the authority and power of a manager?  Or just the guy to blame when it goes mammary vertical?  If the former you may have a chance to implement real changes, if the later, run away, far far away..

I have been told that I will be have  the authority to kick ass, and if they dont listen, the boss said he will kick ass
Cool, a major step in the right direction.

This I have done to a certain extent. We have held a couple of meetings and we have some ideas in the way to go forward. The problem is that because for the last few years there have been NO standards, and everyone has been working their own way, binding xrefs, exploding blocks using different text fonts etc.
How do you implement only some standards?
Find the one most important thing you wish to standardize, let's say layers.  Get that all laid out, thought out, printed out.  Call a meeting to discuss the merits of that settings and seek out input from users. (letting everyone know that the final call is yours).  

How you fight the first battle will set the tone for whatever level of warfare follows.  It's easier to fight the single battle, one at a time, than a whole war at once.

After that one is in place and everyone has begun compliance (however grudgingly), you can move to the next most important issue.  Ten years later, you'll be moving to the next most important issue, so get used to the procedure.

I was going to issue a new procedures manual after xmas covering everything.
Everything you can think of now.  Believe me, as soon as it hits the floor there'll be a dozen things you wished you'd added/changed/deleted.

I am currently trying to learn Lisp, but am having problems finding courses in the UK. But I am determined I will crack it and soon. Obviously this will help in the customising stated above, and that is what I am hoping to acheive in the not too distant future. I can see I will become an avid poster in the Lisp area of this forum.
Thanks for your advice
Tracey
This is the single best place for learning customization.  The talent and knowledge displayed here far exceeds any other forum with which I've participated.  Much of the help you will receive here, will be nearly real-time, and nearly all will be exceptional.

One of the best places for lisp tutorials would be AFRALISP .  I'm sure there are several others the folks will be more than happy to point out.[/url]

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 07:52:24 AM »
Thanks CADaver for your advice. Will be taking it on board. Trying to get organised. Will keep everyone up to date on progress.

People here certainly seem more friendly and more willing to share knowledge than the other groups.

Thanks
Tracey :crazy:
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

M-dub

Locking down the system
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 08:54:09 AM »
People here certainly seem more friendly and more willing to share knowledge than the other groups.

Thanks Tracey!
The longer you stay a member and the more you visit, you'll only grow to like it even more.
Good luck in your new position and we're looking forward to hearing more from you!  ;)

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 08:59:55 AM »
Thanks CADaver for your advice. Will be taking it on board. Trying to get organised. Will keep everyone up to date on progress.
You're welcome, glad to help.

We'll fix that soon enough.  You're still new here, and they make me play nice with new folks.  :wink: