Author Topic: Locking down the system  (Read 5081 times)

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« on: November 26, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »
Does anyone out there know of a way of making sure users do not change their search paths :?:
We are trying to implement standards and have moved the plot styles etc to a secure area. Only a couple of people have write access to this area.
How do I stop users using their own unapproved plot styles? :?
Any advice please
Thanks in advance
Tracey
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

hudster

• Gator
Locking down the system
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:06:27 AM »
I personally use the threat of physical violence, this seems to work. :D
Revit BDS 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, AutoCAD 2017, 2016, Navisworks 2017, 2016, BIM360 Glue

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 10:09:01 AM »
Quote from: Hudster
I personally use the threat of physical violence, this seems to work. :D

Not that easy when cos I'm a woman, love the idea though :D

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »
Quote from: jonesy
Not that easy when cos I'm a woman, love the idea though :D

Just carry a big stick. Seriously though........ if you have a custom menu that everyone loads you could probably run something in there to check the paths then return a nasty message to the user if the path doesn't match.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

M-dub

Locking down the system
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 11:09:05 AM »
Is changing search paths a big problem where you are?

One suggestion I could give might be to make it as easy as possible for everyone to print using the standard plot styles.

That's what I did here.  I made it too easy for them NOT to use the standard method by creating page setups.

There are a bunch of topics on this forum that address this.  I'll see if I can find the best one...

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 01:36:10 PM »
Quote from: Mark Thomas
Just carry a big stick.
Bull-prod.. just pressing the trigger and showing the sparks will do it for most.

The only way to enforce any rule is to show a willingness to implement punishment for non-compliance.  "if you do this you get a whuppin'".  Disciplinary action must be spelled out clearly prior to implementation so that there are no surprises when it happens.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
Locking down the system
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 06:16:58 PM »
Since the search paths are storaged in the registary of each work station I don't think you can force a read only file.  You could however write a lisp that  when Autocad boots the lisp resets the search paths in the registry.

I would also look into profiles. I know profiles can be shared over a network, but I don't know if the search paths are stored in a profile.  If a profile stores search paths, you can place a standard profile in a readonly  network directory and force the user to use that autocad profile.

Hope thease ideas help....
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 01:29:19 PM »
Search paths can be stored in the profile, and you can run a routine to force the paths back to standard, but nothing can stop a determined user from changing the paths/profiles/loading functions or whatever.

If they use the canned stuff, compliance is assured (or my fault).  If they use their own, they become resposible for compliance.  There are standing rules about non-compliance that include punitive clauses.  everyone is aware of the penalties, not the least of which is drawing my ire in their direction.

TR

Locking down the system
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 01:52:43 PM »
Standard profiles are impossible. Each user and each discipline requires different settings in their profile.

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 02:29:12 PM »
Quote from: Tim Riley
Standard profiles are impossible. Each user and each discipline requires different settings in their profile.
Each USER requires a different profile??  Whatever for?

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Locking down the system
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 10:24:13 PM »
Kill them all.... they are of no use if they cannot follow standards.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 06:04:37 AM »
Quote from: CADaver

The only way to enforce any rule is to show a willingness to implement punishment for non-compliance.  "if you do this you get a whuppin'".  Disciplinary action must be spelled out clearly prior to implementation so that there are no surprises when it happens.

Is this spelt out in the Company CAD manual, and how have you worded it? Any advice would be gratefully received. I have just been promoted to CAD manager :D , but I know implementing these new systems will not sit well with some users who have been here longer than I have
Thanks in advance

Tracey Jones

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 11:33:46 AM »

Is this spelt out in the Company CAD manual, and how have you worded it? Any advice would be gratefully received. I have just been promoted to CAD manager :D , but I know implementing these new systems will not sit well with some users who have been here longer than I have

Are you a true manager, with the authority and power of a manager?  Or just the guy to blame when it goes mammary vertical?  If the former you may have a chance to implement real changes, if the later, run away, far far away.

The existing users are your best allies, viewing them as such, and making them know you do, will smooth a lot of rough water.

BEFORE implementing anything, I would suggest a brainstorming (picking) session.  Let 'em know that you are NOT turning this into a committee decision, you're just brainstorming (picking) to see what's going on and to get ideas on implementation. (At the very least it should give you a clue who the problems are.)  It will give you an idea on how to implement, when to implement, and which standards are priority.

Let ‘em know that the new standards are NOT suggestions, compliance is mandatory and that failure to comply will result in punitive actions.  That being said, standards need to be constructed in such a manner as to make it easier to use the standard than to do it another way;
1.)   Drawing setup with a single click,
2.)   Layers, text and dims controlled by that same setup
3.)   Annotation layers automatically set with every annotation command
4.)   Discipline specific layers automatically set for discipline specific functions
5.)   Templates with everything necessary already setup.
6.)   Etc.

Everything in writing, the standards, how they function, tools available to aid in compliance, punitive actions, etc.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 08:13:53 AM »

Are you a true manager, with the authority and power of a manager?  Or just the guy to blame when it goes mammary vertical?  If the former you may have a chance to implement real changes, if the later, run away, far far away..

I have been told that I will be have  the authority to kick ass, and if they dont listen, the boss said he will kick ass

The existing users are your best allies, viewing them as such, and making them know you do, will smooth a lot of rough water.

BEFORE implementing anything, I would suggest a brainstorming (picking) session.  Let 'em know that you are NOT turning this into a committee decision, you're just brainstorming (picking) to see what's going on and to get ideas on implementation. (At the very least it should give you a clue who the problems are.)  It will give you an idea on how to implement, when to implement, and which standards are priority.

This I have done to a certain extent. We have held a couple of meetings and we have some ideas in the way to go forward. The problem is that because for the last few years there have been NO standards, and everyone has been working their own way, binding xrefs, exploding blocks using different text fonts etc.
How do you implement only some standards?
I was going to issue a new procedures manual after xmas covering everything. It will be linked to a menu (which will eventually hold all our tools).

Let ‘em know that the new standards are NOT suggestions, compliance is mandatory and that failure to comply will result in punitive actions.  That being said, standards need to be constructed in such a manner as to make it easier to use the standard than to do it another way;
1.)   Drawing setup with a single click,
2.)   Layers, text and dims controlled by that same setup
3.)   Annotation layers automatically set with every annotation command
4.)   Discipline specific layers automatically set for discipline specific functions
5.)   Templates with everything necessary already setup.
6.)   Etc.

Everything in writing, the standards, how they function, tools available to aid in compliance, punitive actions, etc.

I am currently trying to learn Lisp, but am having problems finding courses in the UK. But I am determined I will crack it and soon. Obviously this will help in the customising stated above, and that is what I am hoping to acheive in the not too distant future. I can see I will become an avid poster in the Lisp area of this forum.
Thanks for your advice
Tracey

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 05:30:59 PM »

Are you a true manager, with the authority and power of a manager?  Or just the guy to blame when it goes mammary vertical?  If the former you may have a chance to implement real changes, if the later, run away, far far away..

I have been told that I will be have  the authority to kick ass, and if they dont listen, the boss said he will kick ass
Cool, a major step in the right direction.

This I have done to a certain extent. We have held a couple of meetings and we have some ideas in the way to go forward. The problem is that because for the last few years there have been NO standards, and everyone has been working their own way, binding xrefs, exploding blocks using different text fonts etc.
How do you implement only some standards?
Find the one most important thing you wish to standardize, let's say layers.  Get that all laid out, thought out, printed out.  Call a meeting to discuss the merits of that settings and seek out input from users. (letting everyone know that the final call is yours).  

How you fight the first battle will set the tone for whatever level of warfare follows.  It's easier to fight the single battle, one at a time, than a whole war at once.

After that one is in place and everyone has begun compliance (however grudgingly), you can move to the next most important issue.  Ten years later, you'll be moving to the next most important issue, so get used to the procedure.

I was going to issue a new procedures manual after xmas covering everything.
Everything you can think of now.  Believe me, as soon as it hits the floor there'll be a dozen things you wished you'd added/changed/deleted.

I am currently trying to learn Lisp, but am having problems finding courses in the UK. But I am determined I will crack it and soon. Obviously this will help in the customising stated above, and that is what I am hoping to acheive in the not too distant future. I can see I will become an avid poster in the Lisp area of this forum.
Thanks for your advice
Tracey
This is the single best place for learning customization.  The talent and knowledge displayed here far exceeds any other forum with which I've participated.  Much of the help you will receive here, will be nearly real-time, and nearly all will be exceptional.

One of the best places for lisp tutorials would be AFRALISP .  I'm sure there are several others the folks will be more than happy to point out.[/url]

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
Locking down the system
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 07:52:24 AM »
Thanks CADaver for your advice. Will be taking it on board. Trying to get organised. Will keep everyone up to date on progress.

People here certainly seem more friendly and more willing to share knowledge than the other groups.

Thanks
Tracey :crazy:

M-dub

Locking down the system
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 08:54:09 AM »
People here certainly seem more friendly and more willing to share knowledge than the other groups.

Thanks Tracey!
The longer you stay a member and the more you visit, you'll only grow to like it even more.
Good luck in your new position and we're looking forward to hearing more from you!  ;)

CADaver

Locking down the system
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 08:59:55 AM »
Thanks CADaver for your advice. Will be taking it on board. Trying to get organised. Will keep everyone up to date on progress.
You're welcome, glad to help.

We'll fix that soon enough.  You're still new here, and they make me play nice with new folks.  :wink: