Author Topic: Dynamic Input -- why turn it off?  (Read 2821 times)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: Dynamic Input -- why turn it off?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
Among the users here who turn it off, its universally "I don't like it because I'm not used to it."   :|

Me, I use it; because I primarily deal with objects and relations to objects rather than text or direct distance input, I like having what I type right at the cursor next to the object I am dealing with.  Right-click context menus handle a lot of the options for the more complex commands.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »
I don't use it.  The reason: absolute coordinates.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
I do tend to use it - I tend to use relative co-ordinates more than absolute.

The one time I will generally turn it is if I'm editting a large polyline.  With it on you can't pan or zoom between subcommands, with it off you can.

dJE
===
dJE

Bob Wahr

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »
For those who think it looks intrusive, not much to say.  I'm guessing more different than anything.  I haven't turned it off in a long time but honestly rarely even notice it.

For those who don't like the relative coord default, you can change it in the setting to default to absolute.

I tried it when it first came out and didn't like it because in some circumstances (I don't remember what it was off the top of my head but it was common) the space bar would have to be pressed twice to enter.  Since the space bar is my usual enter key in acad, that was a killer.  That got fixed so it doesn't bother me now.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
I run into random problems in Civil 3D if I have DI turned on.  I actually used it when it first came out and I was still on Land Desktop, and I liked it, but it causes too many problems in Civil 3D.

Technically you can not effectively use Dynamic input inside C3D; and there is a small warning in the help file regarding 'loss of certain command functions' should one have it on.  So DYN is OFF for me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/