Author Topic: Dynamic Input -- why turn it off?  (Read 2820 times)

Kate M

Dynamic Input -- why turn it off?
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:53:27 PM »
If you have turned off Dynamic Input, why?

Just personal curiosity here. I've used it since 2007 and love it, so I was wondering what the reasons are for turning it off. (And "I just don't like it" is not a helpful answer. :))

wizman

• Bull Frog
Re: Dynamic Input -- why turn it off?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:58:50 PM »
I also use it alot, just turning it off when i need to input absolute coordinates, i know there is way for absolute coordinates to enter while dynamic prompt is on, but turning it off seems easier for me.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
There is a speed issue.  It seems to bog down when I am in a large dwg.  I use it on and off, but mostly off. (My puter is about 3 years old though)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:23:51 PM »
I turn it off for the following reasons
  • One it clutters up the screen if I used what I need.  I want to see what I am manipulating not flashy stuff that is telling me that I am manipulating something.
  • Two Since I am running old underpowered clunker of a machine, I have turned a lot of flashy stuff off thinking it will save resources.  I have no testing to prove this works or not but the very least it is a placebo for me.
  • Three I am a keyboarder that does not have to look at the keyboard.  What I do need to look at is properties pallet and a handufl of other pallets.  And for that I have a second monitor and everything is there so there is no need for the quick properties.

Speaking of second monitor I would love to get the Quick View Drawings to the second monitor and pinned.  Now that would be the cats meow. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

craigr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:08 PM »
It clutters the screen, I don't like having to 'look around it'.

I think it's nice in some instances, but for the majority of what I use CAD for, I don't need it.

craigr

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Most of the time I just find it annoying, as I find a lot of the bells and whistles that seem to be there "because we can".
I drink beer and I know things....

JCTER

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:37:18 PM »
1)  It blocks part of the screen, and too often blocked things I wanted to see while typing.

2)  It was not a reliable -replacement- for the command line.  often times it would not display output information that the command line WOULD, that I needed.  I'm sorry I can't give specific examples, it has been too long since I decided against it, and memory escapes me.

3)  I am a command line junkie, and type all my commands instead of using buttons or menus.  I don't use -any- buttons or -any- menus for commands, actually, with -extremely- exceptional circumstances.  I do not need to -see- every command I am typing, either, so when the text pops up, it truly is simply "in the way".  Being a command line junkie, I type a lot, so it's blocking my model and/or other text/dimensions often.

4)  Whenever working in 3D, it has DRASTIC performance problems, possibly due to my video card, when the overlays/tooltips/command-entry is shown on screen during any visual style other than 2dWireframe, and comes to a horrible, snails pace, choppy lagtastic regen rate.  It's like my screen will only refresh once every... estimating here... 2-3 solid seconds.  It's terrible.  Like I said though, very possibly due to my video card, nVidia GeForce 6800.  I've noticed the same problem when other dynamic windows from other applications pop up over AutoCAD such as Firefox's alert telling me "downloads complete" scrolling out, and back in, to the windows task bar.

sinc

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
I run into random problems in Civil 3D if I have DI turned on.  I actually used it when it first came out and I was still on Land Desktop, and I liked it, but it causes too many problems in Civil 3D.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
There is a speed issue.  It seems to bog down when I am in a large dwg.  I use it on and off, but mostly off. (My puter is about 3 years old though)

I second that...

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
I run into random problems in Civil 3D if I have DI turned on.  I actually used it when it first came out and I was still on Land Desktop, and I liked it, but it causes too many problems in Civil 3D.
Ditto.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

StykFacE

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
The main reason why I don't use it, because it's just annoying. It gets in the way visually. However, I do actually use it from time to time because when I'm routing ductwork or pipe through a tight place, I will turn it on to see exactly what angle I can go in as. So it definitely does come in handy, but it's strictly based on your individual situation.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 05:30:44 PM »
pretty much ditto what everybody else said, mostly its in the way.
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

t-bear

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 05:34:03 PM »
The darned thing gets in my way...can't see to pick points etc...  That and it never gives me the info I want...two points offset in the x and y...damned thing gives me the distance between, but not the x dist or y dist....basically, it sucked.  Dumped it after the first week.

Birdy

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Hey Kate!
I use it.
Though I often wonder if it agrees with the command line, which I use as well.
Sometimes I think acad is laughing at me when I'm not looking.

alanjt

• Needs a day job
  • Standby for witty remark...
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 06:01:06 PM »
The only thing I've ever really liked about it, was that it would allow me to grip an arc within a LWPolyline and it would tell me the radius. That was nice.
If it was able to toggle more of the options, it would be usable.
Civil 3D 2019 ~ Windohz 7 64bit
Dropbox

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 07:07:22 PM »
Among the users here who turn it off, its universally "I don't like it because I'm not used to it."   :|

Me, I use it; because I primarily deal with objects and relations to objects rather than text or direct distance input, I like having what I type right at the cursor next to the object I am dealing with.  Right-click context menus handle a lot of the options for the more complex commands.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Willie

• Swamp Rat
  • Going nowhere slowly
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 01:29:23 AM »
I don't use it.  The reason: absolute coordinates.
Soli Deo Gloria | Qui Audet Adipiscitur
Windows 8  64-bit Enterprise | Civil 3D 2015 and 2016| ArcGIS 10.1
Yogi Berra : "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."

Daniel J. Ellis

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:10:05 AM »
I do tend to use it - I tend to use relative co-ordinates more than absolute.

The one time I will generally turn it is if I'm editting a large polyline.  With it on you can't pan or zoom between subcommands, with it off you can.

dJE
===
dJE

Bob Wahr

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »
For those who think it looks intrusive, not much to say.  I'm guessing more different than anything.  I haven't turned it off in a long time but honestly rarely even notice it.

For those who don't like the relative coord default, you can change it in the setting to default to absolute.

I tried it when it first came out and didn't like it because in some circumstances (I don't remember what it was off the top of my head but it was common) the space bar would have to be pressed twice to enter.  Since the space bar is my usual enter key in acad, that was a killer.  That got fixed so it doesn't bother me now.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »

Technically you can not effectively use Dynamic input inside C3D; and there is a small warning in the help file regarding 'loss of certain command functions' should one have it on.  So DYN is OFF for me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/