Author Topic: You down with OPP?  (Read 19122 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: You down with OPP?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 01:49:30 PM »
So, dive in 100% without looking into benefits or methods at all, changing standards, means, and methods, to find out if it's good or not.  This really isn't a knock just an observation but it is really obvious from that that you don't do production.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 01:59:49 PM »
Me thinks you missinterpret the intent...however your questions and comparisons are getting in the way of seeing any benefit.  In the time you have taken to attempt to compare and contrast that which you know against that which you don't you have already spent as much or more than you might have to know for sure. And none of it would get in the way of 'production' drafting task.

paralysis by analysis
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Bob Wahr

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
But a project or two isn't enough, you said so yourself.  I did a project last month that I used a sheet set on.  I so absolutely zero benefit from doing it.  I have no doubt that it's because I don't know what there is to know about them so I ask the person I know who is most adamantly in favor of them and just get shut up and take my word for it.  How am I supposed to really know if it's worthwhile or just another buggy, viral autodesk semi-implementation of a marketing ploy.  Honestly, AutoCAD being the only CAD program that I know of that has sheet sets per se, you sound a lot like you are either a marketing shill who has been brainwashed by autodesk or have some kind of vested interest in making me look ridiculous on an internet forum.

sorry, couldn't resist although the first 140 characters or so are serious ; )

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 03:53:54 PM »
so keep using it until A) you are totally familiar with all of SSM functions
so you can see the benefits...

or B) just quit and think yourself ahead already....

let me have you go through this set of docs...which do a very fine job of explaining both the benefits and the implementation of Sheet Sets..http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=13785017  I think you will find Part 5 most interesting and usefull.

also note that the sheet set, can be manipulated pragmatically...so one can theoretically admin ones sheets from outside of autocad

and yes part of it is a half-baked implementation of a great idea courtesy of autodesk...
most notable being the one KEY function that they hyped upon it's initial release...a single sheet being able to be used by multiple projects, was and remains broken 5 VERSIONS later, and for this you can thank everyone on subscription...because there are no market forces causing autodesk to care that the products they sell do not work as advertised.

Good thing I'm NOT trying to do technical support through twitter....or half of this would be chopped off already ;)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Bob Wahr

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
I scanned over the docs, will read them in more detail and try it out.  A lot of the way both you and the documents talk about it though is so like Nigel Tufnel.  But...you can do it with sheet sets.

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
most notable being the one KEY function that they hyped upon it's initial release...a single sheet being able to be used by multiple projects, was and remains broken 5 VERSIONS later
The one and ONLY reason I dont use SSM.  Our projects share drawings on every single project, thus the non use.  Each release I check to see if its fixed, and then continue the old way
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
most notable being the one KEY function that they hyped upon it's initial release...a single sheet being able to be used by multiple projects, was and remains broken 5 VERSIONS later
The one and ONLY reason I dont use SSM.  Our projects share drawings on every single project, thus the non use.  Each release I check to see if its fixed, and then continue the old way
See what your subscription money buys you?

And they have no incentive to fix it as long as folks 'buy-in' (notice I did not say were FORCED to buy the subscription?) to the subscription program.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
The one and ONLY reason I dont use SSM.  Our projects share drawings on every single project, thus the non use.  Each release I check to see if its fixed, and then continue the old way
See what your subscription money buys you?

And they have no incentive to fix it as long as folks 'buy-in' (notice I did not say were FORCED to buy the subscription?) to the subscription program.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans