Author Topic: Windows 7 (32 bit) - AutoCAD 2009 - File Browser = KABOOM!  (Read 6151 times)

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Windows 7 (32 bit) - AutoCAD 2009 - File Browser = KABOOM!
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
I've been testing out Windows 7 for the past couple of weeks and have consistently (3-4 times a day) locked up my computer when opening the file browser in AutoCAD 2009. This lockup kills all peripherals and I have to power down the computer by holding the power button down.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks,

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

BuckoAk

• Newt
Re: Windows 7 (32 bit) - AutoCAD 2009 - File Browser = KABOOM!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:48:07 AM »
We just upgraded to windows 7 and have noticed the same thing... not all of the workstations have this problem.  What we noticed, it happens when we rescale the open dialog box.  Our IT staff think they have it narrowed down to the video driver... there area a few workstations that have different video cards and drivers.  Not sure what the answer is at this point in time... hopefully the ITs' can get it solved.

BuckoAk

• Newt
Re: Windows 7 (32 bit) - AutoCAD C3D
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
We have 4 testers in the office running Windows 7 with C3D 2010 on Dell's running the Intel Xeon Quad Core with 4 Gigs Ram, and still having issues with the computers locking up with different dialogs now. Has anyone else come across this or even know what the cause of this is?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 08:57:10 PM »
same data/different data

same command(s)/ and or order of operation?

or

Totally Random?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
I see it random times with open file browser (opening a file, attaching an xref, even had it crash today when bringing up the dialogue to insert a missing SHX file upon file open) ... It's really starting to piss me off :realmad:

Custom Build PC

BuckoAk

• Newt
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:05:09 PM »
It is random here too, today my computer locked up several times while creating layers and loading linetypes. The big one for use is opening a new drawing and resize the Open dialog box, this will crash the whole system every time. Still trying to figure who to blame on this Win7 or C3D 2010 or Both.

Well if Ronjonp is running Acad2009 and myself C3D2010 and we both are running Win7, the blame is looking more like Win7 is the problem?
(win7 same problems as it's past os versions just a different version number, nothing has changed)

Bob Wahr

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:48:35 PM »
Similar yet different, I had these problems as well as quite a few crashes to the desktop running 2010 on vista 64bit.  Upgraded the Vista to XP, problems went away.  Running on Win7 64bit now with no problems to speak of.

BuckoAk

• Newt
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
Bob Wahr can you do a test for me if you don't mind, if you do this make sure you don't have anything important running because if it works it will lock up your computer. load autocad and go-to the File > Open.... when the "Select File" dialogue opens hover your mouse over one of the corners and click and drag to resize your window. Continue to hold and repeatably resize the window quickly about 5 or more times and let me know what happens, this is a real quick test for our computers running Win7 & C3D2010.

Thanks,

Bob Wahr

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:24 PM »
OK, I open acad (vanilla) clicked and held down over a corner and moved the mose around in circles for about 30 seconds causing many more than 5 different sizes.  Repeated on the 3 remaining corners.  Just in case I misunderstood, i did a click, resize, release, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat as quickly as I could perform it.  Acad didn't at any time lock up on me.  If you've got anything else you'd like me to try, just let me know.

BuckoAk

• Newt
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »
Bob Wahr

Sounds good so far.
What are the spec's on your computer, processor, ram, video & etc.
On the resizing can you try resizing to different sizes without releasing the mouse button one continuous click and hold.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »
That was what I did first.  One click and hold, many resizes, each of the four corners.

Intel Core2 quad cpu @ 2.00ghz, 4 GB RAM, win 7 ultimate 64-bit, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 w/1GB RAM

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 05:53:26 PM »
Buckoak,

What video card are you using? Nevermind...see it in your sig. Well we both have Nvidia cards  :? Perhaps I'll throw an ATI into my computer to test.

Custom Build PC

sinc

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
I seem to be having trouble with my nVidia cards in both of my computers lately.  One is running Vista x64, the other Win7 x64.  The Vista computer is still running old drivers, because the last few driver releases kill the DVI-D output to one monitor, and I have to switch to DVI-A, which looks fuzzy.  On the Win7 machine, the screen periodically goes black, and when it comes back, I see a message in the bottom-right of the screen that says something like "Graphics driver encountered an error and recovered."  I'm pretty sure it never did that until I upgraded the machine from Vista to Win7.

What's particularly frustrating is that these computers used to work fine, and have gotten problematic lately.  With one, the problems seemed to start when I upgraded from Vista to Win7.  But the other is still on Vista, and the new drivers don't work with it.  It's like nVidia is going backwards with their drivers.

EskewAK

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 03:46:13 PM »
The solution to this problem (for me) was to use a basic windows theme rather than an Aero theme.  This would explain why the issue is only present in Vista and Win7, and not in XP machines.

From the testing I have done regarding Windows 7, the problem still seems consistant with the FX1800 graphics card, so I'm hesitant to place full blame on the Aero theme or the graphics card/driver.  In either case, I can live without Aero themes for the time being.

Perhaps a future Windows update or graphics driver update will randomly fix this...

Cheers,

BuckoAk

• Newt
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:11:06 PM »
Thanks EskewAK

If you are running duel displays you might notice that the main display is encroaching on the second display.
To fix this go to Control Panel > Personalization > Windows Color (Bottom of Window) > Item: (Drop Down List) > Border Padding > Size:
Set this to "0", Default was 4 for some reason.  :-)