Author Topic: Rebuilding all corridors at once in C3D  (Read 17258 times)

George

Re: Rebuilding all corridors at once in C3D
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
I am pointing out that specifically the help file indicates that the Assembly is ALWAYS tied to the baseline.

Again I ask, show me where the ASSEMBLY is not tied to the baseline. Not the Feature Lines between Assemblies, the Assembly. Using your own logic, there is no defect, the ASSEMBLY is always tied the the baseline.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
I am pointing out that specifically the help file indicates that the Assembly is ALWAYS tied to the baseline.

Again I ask, show me where the ASSEMBLY is not tied to the baseline. Not the Feature Lines between Assemblies, the Assembly. Using your own logic, there is no defect, the ASSEMBLY is always tied the the baseline.

The DEFECT prevents me from showing you that the Assemblies are NOT projected along the baseline through the transition region.  As I stated it ignores the command level sample frequency and doesn't place any assemblies where it should.

Sure you see them as being connected to the baseline at the Start and End of the transition, it's everything in the middle of that transition region that falls into the realm of defective.  First because it doesn't project any assemblies at all, and second it projects across the chord of the arc.  Is the defect any clere to you now?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

George

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
What you see as defect, I see as expected. When one region ends, and another begins, of COURSE there's nothing in the middle. What could there be? What Assembly would you use? I want Apples on Monday to Wednesday, I want Oranges on Friday to Sunday. What would you give me on Thursday that would make me happy?

As Chris pointed out, you can use a Null assembly if you don't want the connecting lines.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »
What you see as defect, I see as expected. When one region ends, and another begins, of COURSE there's nothing in the middle. What could there be? What Assembly would you use? I want Apples on Monday to Wednesday, I want Oranges on Friday to Sunday. What would you give me on Thursday that would make me happy?

As Chris pointed out, you can use a Null assembly if you don't want the connecting lines.

Go back and read the reply to Scouts similar question regarding 'what assembly' I want the application to insert in the transition region, I patiently explained it to her there.http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=30958.msg365290#msg365290  Perhaps you'll want to read everything in this discussion topic again, but first remove the anti-mjf biased blinders from your eyes.

As stated a NULL assembly does NOT work either...see the GAP in the corridor...that is what happens should you insert a NULL assembly in the transition region. It then FAILS to transition at all.

For discussion sake the software also fails if one is using two SIMPLE assemblies from Generic links; it isn't that it fails when the assemblies are 'complex' it fails consistently, to both project the sampled lines at the command level frequency settings, and it becomes disconnected from the baseline trough arc segments.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 11:01:43 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the topic, this is not a defect, it is a limitation.  I do not want the software to assume I want to do something and then I have no control over it.  There should be a transition region that can be inserted between two standard regions.  This way, if I have alignments/polylines/etc. that I'm targeting, I can still choose to target or not target them.  I can also have control of frequencies.

scout

« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2009, 12:18:24 PM »
For discussion sake the software also fails if one is using two SIMPLE assemblies from Generic links; it isn't that it fails when the assemblies are 'complex' it fails consistently, to both project the sampled lines at the command level frequency settings, and it becomes disconnected from the baseline trough arc segments.

This will be my last post on the subject- but you claim that it's a defect because help tells you that an assembly is always tied to the baseline- but what help means is that the subassemblies bits always remain attached to the _assembly baseline_ that vertical piece on an assembly that hooks it all together not the alignment you specify as the baseline. Also, the command setting sets the default region frequency- it never says anything about it being a baseline frequency because there is no such thing.

I'm not just making this up as far as how the software logic works- I spent a lot of time with the product designers, developers and QA when writing the assembly and corridor chapters of those three books that I wrote that you hate so much. They aren't perfect books (don't want to talk about that again, many threads already on that subject) but the explainations of the program logic for corridors is very sound and straight from my research. It isn't just something I made up.

I'm sorry it doesn't work the way you want. I'm messing with my stream some more and it seems in order to do the transitioning properly, I have to whip out my calculus to figure out the curves. I will probably do it since I am a geek that way and b/c i am curious if something like that could be done by the program or if there are far too many variables.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
I'll take you post for what it's worth.

However the help file also specifies that the Assembly baseline will be tied to the Baseline alignment.
I'm not making any of that up, it's right in the text that I've posted straight from the help file.
There may not be a 'baseline' frequency however there is a sample frequency that one can specify at the command level; and the transition regions do not obey that frequency setting.

As to the books, I don't hate them, they just aren't up to the standard a book with that title implies they would be.  And even you agree they aren't perfect; so we are congruent on that aspect of them.

As stated before, you say it isn't a defect now.  However you'll be one of the first to be touting it as a new feature when or if it ever does get fixed (added to application).
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2009, 09:36:08 AM »
Here's a hint for you: the solution is really a spiral, not a parabola.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell