Author Topic: Map Query for Estimating  (Read 4789 times)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Map Query for Estimating
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
yes for vis state see attached for clue...

Data is the key

MLINE(s) no joy yet...as even a generic autocad LIST on them doesn't not reveal a true lenth value.

(what are you using them for any way?)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
None yer bizniss nosey.

Thx. :-D

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
None yer bizniss nosey.

Thx. :-D

then I can't help you do what ever it is any better.....but that would be your choice....
for all you know I have a different way to do that (different isn't always better, although it can be)
and it can be annoying when it is, and you weren't the one that thought of it.   ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »
Hehe. I'm exploring. So far I am not getting that vis state deal to query... What I was looking for with that was to query a block in a drawing and then be able to add the visibility state into the report so if I have a single inlet block with many visibility states for the various types of inlets I could use the visibility state as report data.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »
you might try a 1-2 combo punch....

query the blocks
run DATAEXTRACTION and report on the vis setting from there....

or not

more on that query later....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 12:41:08 PM »
And here is where I must enter what others will find offensive...

How long have Dynamic Blocks been in the application?

Why will MAP actually NOT report to VISIBILITY State information of the block; even thought there are four different areas of object properties that have to do with VISIBILITY states listed to chose from?

What should this be called?  A defect?  A Bug?  Or just more of autodesk NOT verifying that there is any sort of logical product interoperability?

Don't get mad at me, I'm just telling you that MAP will NOT report a Block's visibility state.
Get mad at autodesk.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »
So that will leave me with attaching data to the objects. I guess that is OK. Happy Turkey Slay Autodesk.

This data attachment is pretty nifty, however, I wish that the annotations would be dynamic as w/C3d objects/labels. I reckon I could create a toolbar to hasten the process of replacing outdated annotations.

What I'm doing is basically just exploring different ways to work with just AutoCAD and Map in opposition to Civil 3d. With data attachment and/or blocks w/attributes I should be able to work out some fairly fluid methods of calc-ing quantities for tables and costs estimates. Hopefully it will make things easier for my engineers since they simply cannot, or will not, grasp C3d. That is OK with me. My loyalties are with my employer, not Autodesk. If we won't use Civil 3d, then we need to get the most out of AutoCAD and Map. I must say, this would be even better if I knew programming ie - autolisp, diesel, etc.

dfarris75

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
Oh wait a second! I just discovered the refresh annotation command! Beautiful! At least that is somewhat dynamic, or at least semi-automated.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 12:29:33 PM »
yes, and the WIERD part is even though the block visibility parameter is available to be queried; MAP simply will NOT display the information.
WIERDER still, I thought I could out think them and perform and EXPORT to say a shape file; and wondrous miracle (NOT), lo one can NOT select the block visibility parameter to include in the export.  Because in the EXPORT operation the block visibility parameter is NOT even exposed as a selection item.

Now, some of you out there might be OK with this sort of performance from your autodesk products (subscription investment), whatever you want to call it.  I know where I fall on this issue.  Send your hatemail to autodesk, your vendor, send a Tweet out to all those TWITS out there, and let them know where you stand.  

a key item you will want to consider there Rusty, save your queries to an external library for ease of repeating same query against different data.

(removed refresh annotation comment)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
10-4 Mike. Thanks ole buddy!