Author Topic: Map Query for Estimating  (Read 4790 times)

dfarris75

Map Query for Estimating
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:50:03 AM »
I'm looking at using a Map query to get estimates for structures, pipe, ditch, etc. and have some questions.

• Is there a way to get the report to tally up the lengths of pipe, ditch, etc. or must the user do the tallying in Excel after creating the report?
  • Is there a way to report the total number of blocks (block count for structures, etc.)?
  • Can you perform a report query on multiple sets of data (based on layers, object type, etc.) all at once or do you need to create a query for each set of data (ie - one query for pipes, another for structures, another for ditch, etc.)?

dfarris75

Re: Map Query for Estimating
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 11:05:29 AM »
Also, if I wanted to label pipes via the query what is the value to place in the rotation field so that it will rotate the labels appropriately w/the pipe? Something with rtos I think...?

And can you add any other text in this process? ie - If you query a pipe and have it label the line with the length can you add LF to the end of said label?

George

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
If you're using C3D pipes, you'll find that they cannot be queried using Map. The joys of interoperability. If you use QTO you can get the report generated within C3D, then customize the output in a style sheet or take it to Excel if you want to. QTO is a 2010 only feature, but we use it quite a bit now after setting up the Parts List and Point Codes to generate the big ticket quantity items for us.

dfarris75

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »
I'm using plain AutoCAD objects in this case. I am learning of annotation templates. This cures one ailment (additional text in labels).

dfarris75

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:06:16 PM »
Also, if I wanted to label pipes via the query what is the value to place in the rotation field so that it will rotate the labels appropriately w/the pipe? Something with rtos I think...?

And can you add any other text in this process? ie - If you query a pipe and have it label the line with the length can you add LF to the end of said label?

I've worked out these issues. Now just the initial post need be addressed.

rotation value in the query is (rtos .angle)
additional text is added via annotation template (is there another way from within the query definition?)

sinc

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »
I believe the initial post was addressed.  Civil 3D elements cannot be queried with Map Queries.  Instead, they introduced Quantity Takeoff in 2010.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:21:21 PM »
I'm using plain AutoCAD objects in this case. I am learning of annotation templates. This cures one ailment (additional text in labels).

dfarris75

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 12:25:06 PM »
Hehem.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:04:07 PM »
yes, you will find that setting your style up so that when reduced to acad objects they have some value...

then construct a report query of a nature

location=ALL
and Property type=Layer_Name=Sewer Pipe Size

then execute that query as a report...

you will want to experiment with this a bit, and probably need or want several such saved queries to run against your stupefied data set.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »
That's pretty much what I've done. I am able to query a report of all objects paid for in LF and use a SUMIF formula in Excel to sum up the individual quantities. Soooo much faster than sitting there with a calculator. I will be working on a template to also calc the areas of new pavement, sod, etc.

So far I haven't found anywhere in the query to have it tally up the number of instances of a given block though. If it can't do that I'll have to either use attribute extraction OR just query in the blocks and select > select similar and move or copy to get how many are in there... Other ideas welcome.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
one might consider placing an attribute (1) or object data record on the blocks in question
this then can be queried as a unique value (1) and summed for block counts
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »
Object data record?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:29 PM »
Map>>Database>>Object Data

think of them as invisible attributes one can attach to objects to make the GIS smarter...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »
Oh yeah. I think I did a tutorial on that.

dfarris75

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
2 more things:

• Is there an expression to query the length of a MULTILINE?

• Is there an expression to query the VISIBILITY STATE of a block?