Author Topic: image photoshop question  (Read 2050 times)

ELOQUINTET

image photoshop question
« on: November 09, 2004, 08:53:44 AM »
at my office we use architectural desktop rasterdesign 3 to edit our scanned images. a coworker of mine takes his drawings home and edits them with photoshop. he just showed me that the file he cleaned up with rasterdesign are significantly smaller, 540 kb vs. 15, 751 kb  :shock:  why such a big difference?

M-dub

image photoshop question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 09:10:09 AM »
Are the two saved as the same file types?

Pardon me for asking, but does it really matter WHY?  Just use whatever it takes to make them smaller.  We use RasterDesign 2004 as well...

ELOQUINTET

image photoshop question
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 10:08:24 AM »
yes both are tif files. i agree with you on the why. i advised him to ask our it guy for a copy of r.d. his reply was well i like the trace option available in photoshop and r.d. does not have anything like it. i'm not familiar with photoshop so i was just wondering how it would make it that much bigger. i guess a better question would be how does the trace command do which increases the file size that much?

M-dub

image photoshop question
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 10:26:29 AM »
Well, my guess is that he saved it at a much higher resolution which is likely in his defaults.  Is there a difference between the quality of the two?

MikePerry

image photoshop question
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
Hi

I'm slightly exaggerating here BUT!!! there is 100's of different variations of TIFF files; have a search on the web, there is no such thing as a Standard TIFF format.

Have a good one, Mike

Jassper

image photoshop question
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 04:28:38 PM »
Are you sure he is not compressing the image when he saves it? In Elements you can use the lzw compression and half the file size.

Little