Author Topic: ACAD 2010  (Read 8948 times)

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
Re: ACAD 2010
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:27:17 AM »
Those "old timers" who have been using (geez, sounds like a drug...) since R12 will likely not be working much with the software in ten years, either due to retirement/semi-retirement, promotion to managerial position, etc.  I feel like they are focusing on the future front-line users rather than those who are using it today.

There's also a few future-of-the-software type questions, like whether the ribbon is better when using the touch screens which seem to be popping up everywhere.  You think the ribbon takes up screen room, how about an entire virtual keyboard on the screen for devices without a hardware keyboard?  Also, is it easier to interface the ribbon with a cloud-based application than it is with something that is command-line driven?
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

craigr

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 11:36:10 AM »
Yes, I too have thought of the 'on screen' keyboard. Because of the 'real estate' taken by having the Keyboard on screen, I don't see a physical keyboard going aways anytime soon, even if our screens get really big. There will always be the practicality issue.

I believe we will have more and more of our tasks taken over for us in future releases. Software that actually 'learns' how one uses the software. As an example, will learn that to trim 2 intersecting 90° lines, I like to fillet at 0 radius, my coworker likes the trim command. I believe the software will learn the differences and automatically cue up the command or just do it on its own. Kind of like the voice recognition software learns our voice.

If us 'old timers' (am I an old timer at 50?), don't learn to adapt and stay up to date, we may be useless for this type of work.

It will continue to be mind boggeling what is to come in the realm of software, just hold on tight and ride along.

craigr

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
If us 'old timers' (am I an old timer at 50?), don't learn to adapt and stay up to date, we may be useless for this type of work.
Yep.  But how come the ones with check book never seem to understand this logic?
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »
Yep.  But how come the ones with check book never seem to understand this logic?

Mostly it is because they have purchased training from the local vendor at some point in the past...and the cost benefit ratio was such that they never recovered their 'investment' in the training.  And from that point forward any mention of training is seen as an expense with no benefit, so they continue to skip on training.  This is my perception after 9 years as independent consultant, and echoed by nearly every client I have served, and all of the ones I did not.  They just cant get over that experience; and I can't blame them too much either.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jaberwok

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »
Bear in mind that the ribbon, as a concept, was created for office applications and they have far, far fewer commands and variables than any CAD programme.
But the acad ribbon is getting better and will continue to get better - I just hope it doesn't become the only available interface whilst I'm stilll active.
btw, the PELLIPSE variable was going to be dropped around the 2000 release - it still exists in the 2011 release.