Author Topic: ACAD 2010  (Read 8947 times)

Big Boi

ACAD 2010
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:54:42 PM »
Where in the menus can you change your ACAD2010 to the classic setting, which basically gets rid of the ribbon?

Thanks in advance.

I think I figured it out......you type in "menubar" and turn it on. Then you turn the ribbon off......
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 03:06:41 PM by Big Boi »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
Re: ACAD 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 03:31:25 PM »
Where in the menus can you change your ACAD2010 to the classic setting, which basically gets rid of the ribbon?

Thanks in advance.

I think I figured it out......you type in "menubar" and turn it on. Then you turn the ribbon off......

That works in regular ACAD but not in the Architectural vertical.  Unverified Rumor (keyword folks) is that eventually menu bars will go away in all types sometime in future. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

StykFacE

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
That is how you turn it off, but type WSSAVE to save the current workspace so they don't pop back up again.

Unverified Rumor (keyword folks) is that eventually menu bars will go away in all types sometime in future.
Ugh... I think I'm going to cry....

Slim©

• Needs a day job
  • The Dude Abides...
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:47 AM »
Unverified Rumor (keyword folks) is that eventually menu bars will go away in all types sometime in future. 

Is this something they have done based on consumer testing or just because we can?
I drink beer and I know things....

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »

Is this something they have done based on consumer testing or just because we can?

From what I gathered and assumed from said Unverified Rumor is that they are going to mimic MS then the latter applies because they can.

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »

Sounds like Wizards First Rule.
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=14073.msg367966#msg367966
Yep becuase we as a society constantly need a State of Fear.

MikeScott

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »
For the record.. I wouldn't bet on those ribbons going anywhere..  it would invalidate any training done this year or next (because it's in 2011 too).

If there's one thing I've learned about software version updates of any kind.. you're better off adapting to use the new stuff, because eventually the old stuff goes bye-bye.  Not to mention competitors copying each other to stay competitive, so there's nowhere to run.

Where did you think windows came from? You think MSDOS had any real limitations? Or that windows 3.1 had any real reason to be there? It "made things easier" without adding much at first, but gradually, it became more useful. 

That kinda bacteria just keeps on growing, and the more you learn to adapt to it, the longer you'll survive without a new release slapping you in the face with discontinuation of your favorite things, and you'll start seeing how it CAN improve, and then you'll start seeing how it DOES improve.   

:mrgreen:  <-- just ask him where disco went  :-D

KewlToyZ

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »
Why is the Ribbon a so sucky?
Resource demands on systems cause hitches and stutters
Icons are always changing while a menu is written words
(lets face it, the symbols are nearly the same size as the words are anymore)

Why it is likely to change to Ribbons anyway?
To finally drive the AutoCAD community nuts and drive us away for good  :lmao:

This similar philosophy was held by those who prefered command line programs over gui's  :ugly:

craigr

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
From the old DOS days, it has always seemed to 'dumb down' the software. Concentrating on NEW customers rather than the existing and 'experienced' customers. - Just like the rest of the businesses out there.

craigr

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »

Sounds like Wizards First Rule.
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=14073.msg367966#msg367966

Great books, even if he does get long winded at times.

sinc

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:05:01 AM »
From the old DOS days, it has always seemed to 'dumb down' the software. Concentrating on NEW customers rather than the existing and 'experienced' customers.

I tend to think it's only that way if that's what you want to see.

For example, take command line vs. GUI.  A lot of people complain about that.  But if you had to go back to using nothing but a GUI, I'm positive you'd be very upset.  We've gotten too used to WYSIWYG, drag-n-drop, multiple app windows, and more.  Even people who still use a command line or text interface (such as vim) will often do THAT inside a window, and have multiple windows open simultaneously.

Now it's true that, sometimes, people design a GUI that's crap, and much harder to use than whatever it replaced.  But that's usually because of the GUI design.  A good example is some of the stuff inside of Civil 3D, where we have to setup these big tables of values, and the GUI is terrible, forcing us to click on cells one at a time, right-click and select "Create New Item" and then have to hunt through the entire table for the new item, and very terrible GUI design elements like that.  But just because SOME people abuse GUIs, that doesn't mean that GUIs are bad.

And even for experienced users, it's nice when things get simpler.  When the easy tasks get simpler, so do the more complex tasks, which might involve combining simple tasks in convoluted ways.  As it becomes easier and faster to do more in a given application, the experienced users can use that better platform to do even fancier things.  Sometimes it gets frustrating, because when they make a change, they sometimes break one of our fancy processes.  But it's always a growing process, and while sometimes it seems we take two steps back for every step forward, we eventually are much further along than when we started.

At least, I feel that's another way of looking at all the same stuff.

Bob Garner

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 11:24:46 AM »
They (ACAD and MS) seem to try to give us the opportunity to set up program customizations (cui), why can't they include a way to customize the gui also?  Remember how, before windows, you could buy a seperate "shell" program that sort of "wrapped around" dos and let you make our own windows type interface?

Why can't we, as the user, have more control over all user control interface operations?  Or should I just shut up and learn VBA?

craigr

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 08:10:19 AM »
I understand your point and don't neccesarily disagree. - I just don't like having to learn the new interface(s). I tend to prefer to follow the same path most of the time. When I HAVE to take a totally different path it throws me some.

In the end, it isn't like I / we have a choice in the matter. In our Industry we HAVE to keep up with the changing technology & software. If we don't, their is always someone waiting in the wings that HAS kept up with it and just waiting for our jobs. I was just venting a little frustration I feel every time it changes.

craigr

sinc

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:18 AM »
They (ACAD and MS) seem to try to give us the opportunity to set up program customizations (cui), why can't they include a way to customize the gui also?  Remember how, before windows, you could buy a seperate "shell" program that sort of "wrapped around" dos and let you make our own windows type interface?

Why can't we, as the user, have more control over all user control interface operations?  Or should I just shut up and learn VBA?

Don't learn VBA - it's almost dead.

But as for the rest of what you're saying, I can't really follow...  The CUI lets you create menus and toolbars and Ribbon panels, which you can then arrange however you wish, and you can save your favorite layouts as Workspaces.  What would you rather see?