Author Topic: Coming to C3D, from Cadvance  (Read 2070 times)

FIZILATOR

Coming to C3D, from Cadvance
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »
Hey All!     

Learned AutoCAD when R13 was around at school, the office where I've worked since has been using a cad program called Cadvance, older out of date program.  Finally going to Civil 3d 2010  :lol: , got our 3 day 'training course' last May, now we're starting our first project.  I've got a coffee mug to end all coffee mugs, but I'm ready to throw this thing (w/ Civil 3d attached) right through the wall (being brick, concrete, steel or wood studs won't matter - it'll fit!)   :pissed:

All I'm trying to do is get a base drawing set up from a survey in autocad, with a points file from the surveyor.  I've been wrestling with this for over a day & running out of coffee & hair to pull out.  I know when this thing works like it's supposed to, from someone who knows what their doing, it's great.  I've seen it done! :-D

I've got an email into our tech support, looking for more help, just trying to find an order of operations for creating this beast.  Do I start with making Desc. Keys from the Points File over the dwt drawing, then open the survey?  Open the survey, then create the Desc. Keys, then import the points file.

Start with drawing "a", move to step "b", then onto step "c".   :|

Any advice, besides less coffee, would be appreciated!!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Coming to C3D, from Cadvance
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
please go to my website and downlaod and watch the tutorials on Points...Tutorials particularly this oneThe Point of Description Keys
then return with your questions...
they were recorder for a previous version however the process is the same.

basically your order of operation is as follows

set up your description keys
set up your point and point label styles
then import your point data...

or if utilizing the Survey Toolspace
set up your description keys
set up your point and point label styles
set up your figure styles
your figure preferences
your survey line codes
and then import your survey data from the 'import event wizard'

or...I'm happy to come set it all up with you, and continue the education process...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:31:00 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:08:24 PM »
Do yourself the favor of starting this process with the basic ACAD.DWT and create all of your styles as you need them.
name your styles explicitly for what they do and how they behave

Keep in mind that IF you have the Label componet display of the Point Object turned OFF, no matter what Label Style you apply to that point NO label will appear.

When setting up you point description key set, be sure to set up and test each descriptor and how it behaves as you go.  Too many time I have seen the entire set configured incorrectly and need to be redefined repeatedly to work as desired.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

FIZILATOR

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
Thanks for the help & advice, got a fresh cup of coffee & ready to go, the scary thing is I'm going to be the Civil 3d 'guru' for the office.

. . . makes me all warm & fuzzy inside!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »
send me some contact information offline (PM or  email) and I'll happily get you through this hurdle... ;-)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »
A typical three day class will teach you the basics of how to run the software but if you are trying to set it up for your company, you will quickly find yourself overwhelmed.  There are people out there that help people over this hurdle.  Talk to your reseller, private consultants (such as Michael, I.II.I, Engineered Efficiency), and anyone (everyone?) else you can on this.  It's money well spent.