Author Topic: Issuing XREFs  (Read 4750 times)

hyposmurf

Issuing XREFs
« on: November 07, 2004, 05:40:23 PM »
How do you prevent XREF'S from being issued without being bound?Do you have a file convention that prevents you from issuing an unbound drawing?Some pop up that notifies you before you issue a drawing?I realise that you can see in 2004,when an XREF needs updating or cant be found,by that little icon.But on a number of times a non CAD literate employee has gone to issue drawings,without realising he's sending the unbound version.Looks unproffessional when the client asks why he cant see part of the drawing.

MikePerry

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »
Hi

On very small Projects and quick Issues via E-mail we use the AutoCAD command Etransmit, that way the recipient gets everything associated / needed.

Have a good one, Mike

hyposmurf

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 06:02:50 PM »
Yeh had already thought of that, but most of our recipients arent CAD literate,they just want to click on the DWG and up pops the finished article.

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 06:07:03 PM »
I guess I don't understand your problem.  Send everything the file needs with ETRANSMIT and it'll be there when they open the file.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Issuing XREFs
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »
I use etransmit as well. One thing I have started doing is telling the client  to put all files in one folder and exactly which dwg to open. That helps cut down on some of the confusion.

Ron

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

hyposmurf

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 06:41:45 PM »
If I were a non CAD literate client and I received an Etranmist file,Id be confused,probably click on the wrong files and feel my employee had sent me an incomplete drawing package.Maybe the best way is to send the etransmit file and repackge it before I send it,with the drawing files they need in one file and all the additional CAD files in another.
Another maybe:
I know our main mother company has a drawing file system,with say:
File 1-architects base Xref drawing.
File 2-working drawing with unbound XREF.
File 3-Final issue of drawing with XREF bound to drawing.
Looks like we may have to start using this convention,was just wondering what systems other people use.

MikePerry

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 05:22:48 AM »
Hi

"non CAD literate client" one word then - DWF

Have a good one, Mike

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
Issuing XREFs
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 10:30:53 AM »

"non CAD literate client" one word then - DWF

:lol:  :lol:

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 10:56:01 AM »
I'd have to agree with Mr. Perry on that one.  If he is so CAD illiterate that he wouldn't know what to do with the files, he shouldn't be in them in the first place.  I'd use DWF or PDF.

MikePerry

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:00:55 AM »
Quote from: CADaver
I'd have to agree with Mr. Perry on that one.

Hi CADaver

"Mr Perry" I find just a little too formal, personally I would rather Mike, Mick or Michael (as Christened).

Thanks for agreeing ;-)

Cheers, Mike

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:05:15 AM »
Quote from: MikePerry
I'd have to agree with Mr. Perry on that one.

Hi CADaver

"Mr Perry" I find just a little too formal, personally I would rather Mike, Mick or Michael (as Christened).

Thanks for agreeing ;-)

Cheers, Mike

After posting here a while you will come to realize that that was one of my extremely few attempts at civility (no comments from the peanut gallery).  You'll come to remember our first encounter fondly.  ;)

MikePerry

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2004, 11:12:29 AM »
After posting here a while you will come to realize that that was one of my extremely few attempts at civility (no comments from the peanut gallery).  You'll come to remember our first encounter fondly.  ;)

Hi

Being a Lurker here at the Swamp since it almost first opened, I'm pretty aware of the characters and their little traits....

This encounter has made me happy and warm all over ;-)

Cheers, Mike

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 12:51:49 PM »

This encounter has made me happy and warm all over ;-)
Cheers, Mike

Don't get used to it ;)

t-bear

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2004, 01:09:30 PM »
CADaver....I'm sure you won't let THAT happen!   LOL

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2004, 01:21:58 PM »
Quote from: t-bear
CADaver....I'm sure you won't let THAT happen!   LOL
<snicker> not for long anyway.

MikePerry

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2004, 03:46:46 PM »
Don't get used to it ;)

Unfortunately I am, wet ****** pants are an everyday hazard for me ;-)

CADaver

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 04:53:54 PM »
Don't get used to it ;)

Unfortunately I am, wet ****** pants are an everyday hazard for me ;-)
Ya' kow "Depends" now comes in a "Scratch-n-Sniff" version, ask Dent, he knows all about 'em.

AVCAD

Issuing XREFs
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 01:37:31 PM »
Try this way...

use this code to create a script file (.scr)

Code: [Select]

(COMMAND "_qsave")
(command "-etransmit" "Z" (strcat "C:/ETRANSMIT/"(getvar "dwgname")) "" "YES" "NO" "NO" "NO" "NO" "")

Create a directory on your C drive named Etransmit (this is where the script file will put the Zip files.

open your master XREF file (the one that you xref all the drawings to before xrefing to your issue sheet...if you do it that way)

run the script on the master xref file. This way everything that the xref needs will be there in one zip file. Name the file somethign easy though the Non-cad people know that that file is for Xrefs only..I just name it XREFS.zip

do that to all the master Xref files you need. (1st floor, 2 nd floor, 3rd...)

then just grab all your Issue sheets and throw them in a ZIP called Issued Project sheets.zip

When emailed tell them to unzip all the files to the same directory. this way all the xrefs will find each other and you dont need to worry about paths and crap. YOu will probabaly have same files in multiple zips so tell them to overwrite when the option comeup. This way they will have the current stuff.

If this doesnt work...screw em send them DWF files and really screw with them!

They eaiest way to do it just etransmit your issue sheets, extract all files to same directory..BAM your done, they just need to know what sheets are your project sheets but that should be obvious due to the xrefs wont have Titleblocks on them, or page numbers for that matter.