Author Topic: Print to PDF: Location  (Read 2653 times)

M-dub

Print to PDF: Location
« on: November 05, 2004, 02:57:08 PM »
Another PDF question...:roll:...sorry.

I have just been asked to print about 4,000 drawings to .PDF and they have to be split up into a number of different directories.  I have BatchPlot working just great, but I would like to be able to set the location of the PDF files ONCE and not again until I SAY.

It seems that right now, my only option is to go through these steps:

1) Close AutoCAD
2) Change the Acrobat Distiller Printing Preferences (check 'Prompt for the PDF Filename)
3) Start AutoCAD
4) Print any old drawing to PDF and select the directory in which I'd like all subsequent files placed.
5) Close AutoCAD
6) Change the Acrobat Distiller Printing Preferences (UNcheck 'Prompt for the PDF Filename)
7) Start BatchPlot and plot away....

Otherwise, I have to sit here and hit Ok for each filename on every plot...which isn't going to happen.  OR I have to just print ALL of the drawings to PDF, then sort them out later...which I'd really like to avoid.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!  :wink:
Mike

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 05:46:31 PM »
So are you putting these PDF's into an identical directory structure on a different drive?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 09:01:54 AM »
I would like the PDF's to either go to the same directory the dwg's reside in or allow me to pick a directory for the first one, then put all subsequent PDF's in the same directory.  I don't know...I think I'm screwed on this one :roll:

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 10:34:40 AM »
They don't already automatically save to the same directory they are located in?

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 10:40:48 AM »
Nope...The last successful print location.  That's why I have to go through the steps mentioned above in post #1.

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 12:02:27 PM »
You might want to look into Bluebeam. That is what I use and it defaults to the same directory the drawing is in. It has worked great for me and if you are plotting from tabs, there is a plot all tabs option that works great. It's kinda pricey @$250 but might be worth it. It also has a built in batch plotter.

Ron

Custom Build PC

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 12:46:39 PM »
I think I'm just going to stick with the way I'm doing it...I should be done in a couple of days anyway, so I couldn't justify the purchase.

Thanks for the tip anyway!  ;)

AVCAD

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 01:25:20 PM »
Ya I have this problem too. I have a script that works for creating PDF's at differant sizes (24x36, 30x42...and such). But it always asks for locations, but running a script with script pro it shoots right though it and doesnt let you tell it where to save the PDF's end up some where in space. I end up creating plot files using a SCript cause the plot files will go into the drawings original directory. Then I use ViewCompanion Pro and convert the PLTs to PDF's it actually works really well and its all automated so I get nice 5 - 10 minute breaks all the time.