Author Topic: Creating Surface from Text Spots  (Read 6338 times)

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Creating Surface from Text Spots
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
I asked you to NOT ask why....now you've gotten me all riled up.

8-)

I can see why now. That is just sad ... *sigh*
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
I asked you to NOT ask why....now you've gotten me all riled up.

8-)

I can see why now. That is just sad ... *sigh*

no, SAD; is all of the great power of MAP being unable to touch ANY Civil 3D objects in any fashion.
SAD, is all the extra productivity we are being ROBBED of because MAP will NOT function with any Civil 3D Objects, if most user would only raise up and DEMAND that MAP functionality be restored!

now you've gone and made me REALLY MAD!!!!

I asked you not to ask me.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

bmossman

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
Nice!!!! It worked like a charm! I'll have to print this one out for the archives.
Thanks alot.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
In the end, one would want to SAVE this particular Query to your External Query Library, such that when one needed to run it again; one could simply load and execute the desired Query from the library.  And or one could save it inside you Standard drawing DWT, along with other common MAP tasks one performs.  That's standing on the threshold of productivity, and leads one right to frustration when one discovers all of the things one could do if only the C3D objects would expose themselves to the Query function.

And NO exporting the data to SDF, or ODF is NOT the same.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 01:33:24 PM »
... if most user would only raise up and DEMAND that MAP functionality be restored!
How 'bout if we just stop purchasing their products.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Maverick®

• Seagull
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

Am I the only one?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 02:00:53 PM »
... if most user would only raise up and DEMAND that MAP functionality be restored!
How 'bout if we just stop purchasing their products.

that would ensure that they wouldn't ever fix the problem...

however a large scale BOYCOTT would go much further; only the user would need be specific about WHY they were boycotting buying the new product and NOT buying into the subscription plan...THEN it might do some good in terms of changing the product, and the marketing method they use
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 02:35:12 PM »

Am I the only one?

I was hoping someone would see, and or hear Marvin, while reading that.  ;)
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

sinc

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »
however a large scale BOYCOTT would go much further; only the user would need be specific about WHY they were boycotting buying the new product and NOT buying into the subscription plan...THEN it might do some good in terms of changing the product, and the marketing method they use

It seems to me that Autodesk has actually been changing the product.  It just takes a long time, since first you have to actually convince them that something is a problem.  Then, once you do that, for all but the most critical things, it generally takes another three years before that input actually is reflected in the product.  And of course, Autodesk's first attempt at a new feature is often unusable, so you often have to wait another year or two before the feature really gets usable.

So it takes patience.  Unfortunately, since you have to wait 3-5 years to see the results of your input, you don't know if Autodesk is actually working on an improvement or not.  All we can do from a user perspective is give them as much feedback as we can (given time limitations, since we are not paid to test Autodesk's software), and then wait and see what we get in the next release.

In my experience, C3D has actually been improving quite a bit with each release.  The best thing about 2010 is the relatively small number of new problems - in this regard, Autodesk did much better than in previous years.  It's still got its issues, but my head is still ringing from that terrible 2007 release...  To me, it seems like they're doing much better now than they were doing a few years ago.  I find the improvement heartening, as long as it continues.  At least, I hope it isn't just a quirk, or my imagination.

Now, the Map thing is something of a mess, and I know you've been complaining about that for at least five years now.  Unfortunately, I think Autodesk may have designed themselves into a corner there.  I think their problem is related to the way they built C3D and LDD on top of Map.  This may have been a good idea with Land Desktop, but it doesn't work well at all with Civil 3D.  Unfortunately, they built a lot of things around that architecture before they realized they were creating a problem.  I don't know enough about the internal architecture to say if there's any good solution to the problem they have now, but from what I know, it looks pretty hairy.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 12:24:11 PM »
I think you will have noticed I tried to limit my complaining to the issue of MAP being unable to do anything with the object intelligence of the C3D objects.  Most certainly there has to be a way to expose those object types and the wealth of information they hold, to the query process, and or even as a data connect process, the crazy power we would have to run various queries to produce our 'map sets', along with the design iteration abilities, and C3D would be so much better at delivering GIS ready data to the agencies that are ready for it.
I won't second guess the programming strategy; just continuing to howl at the moon in regards how MAP is not integrated well with C3D, and the limits that places on the user.  The bigger problem actually is really how few folks use MAP, and this allows the problems to persist longer as there are fewer folks grumpy about it. 

Towards autodesk not paying us to test the product....you know if they would send me the latest copy, and allow me to bang away on it, and report directly to person, or persons that would actually dialog and track the issue; I'd do this for free, and even provide my own hardware (two or three different systems in fact) to get a decent performance baseline and everything.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 01:22:05 AM »
Wha?  Why go through all that?  MoveTextToElevation and then add the text to the surface as drawing objects.  Why create points?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »
Well, firstly the technique was developed for use with Land Desktop before such a command ever existed.

Second even with this tool some folks might still like to have a point group in their surface definition.

Thirdly being a somewhat newer command I; just like you haven't exactly incorporated it into our tool kit. (Notice it took you 2(two) days to post your 'alternate' solution to the one above?  Don't think we didn't see you reading this post on Monday?)
However; thanks for the reminder of the Surface>>Utilities>>Move Text To elevation command! ;)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:06:36 AM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Well, firstly the technique was developed for use with Land Desktop before such a command ever existed.

Second even with this tool some folks might still like to have a point group in their surface definition.

Thirdly being a somewhat newer command I; just like you haven't exactly incorporated it into our tool kit. (Notice it took you 2(two) days to post your 'alternate' solution to the one above?  Don't think we didn't see you reading this post on Monday?)
However; thanks for the reminder of the Surface>>Utilities>>Move Text To elevation command! ;)

Well, firstly, this question was asked in regards to Civil 3D.

Second, the topic of this post is "Creating Surface from Text Spots"

Thirdly, it's not that new of a command.  It is in C3D 2008 (don't have 2007 on this machine to check it). 

Fourthly, let's not bicker  :pissed: and argue  :realmad: about who's solution is better and why one is better then the other.  I simply offered a different way of accomplishing the same thing.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
uh, OK

you did ask why would one do it that way...

and given that the command has only been around less than 2 complete release cycles, and the adoption rates of C3D, it's a NEW command.

Further not knowing what version or product the user had; I wanted to be sure that the solution I offered would work for any instance of Land desktop, or C3D.

the good news is now they have two methods to use, and some MAP skills too, so it's a double bonus for the Swampers!

go team SWAMP!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:34:08 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jugglerbri

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
You're right.  I'll shut up now.