Author Topic: (1002 . "{")  (Read 1958 times)

curmudgeon

• Newt
(1002 . "{")
« on: August 16, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »
working with extended data, I am ready to dive in. I think.

These braces enable applications to organize their data by subdividing the data into lists.

from the Autocad 2002 DXF reference guide. but from the examples I have seen, I cannot comprehend the purpose, find the advantage, of having done so. further, I played with EXPRESS TOOLS extended data routines, and found that no matter what I did the curly brackets created in that manner at each end of each application were redundant.

am I missing something here?

and am I limited to dotted pairs, or can I create more generic lists? for example, it would be real handy to store a list of enames, not knowing in advance how long that list would be. but the only provision I see by example would be something like (1000 . "193dc10 193dc17 .....") and then parsing the string for the actual entity names ( or handles ).

can I save a list of 3d points?

is there a better way to save generic types of lists in extended data, or is it the dotted pair or the highway?

thanks.
Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Re: (1002 . "{")
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:27:48 PM »
I cannot comprehend the purpose

see link

and am I limited to dotted pairs, or can I create more generic lists? for example, it would be real handy to store a list of enames, not knowing in advance how long that list would be. but the only provision I see by example would be something like (1000 . "193dc10 193dc17 .....") and then parsing the string for the actual entity names ( or handles ).

Most programmers would create multiple 1005 groups to host multiple handles. You could string multiple handles together with commas and parse em out later, using a dxf group code of 1000, but I don't see the benefit (notwithstanding the 255 character limit for each 1000 group string entry).

I could be wrong but I don't recall a dxf group code for enames in xdata.

can I save a list of 3d points?

Yes, use dxf group code 1010 if they are not to move/scale with the parent object, otherwise dxf group code 1011.

etc., etc. ... it's all in the DXF Reference.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

curmudgeon

• Newt
Re: (1002 . "{")
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:22 AM »
my apologies, I must have searched badly to post twice.
 :ugly:
Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think.