Author Topic: Paper Space Vs Model Space  (Read 22747 times)

CADaver

Paper Space Vs Model Space
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:59:02 PM »
Quote from: MP
Yeah, I thought so too.

!!

t-bear

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 10:24:31 PM »
What they said........

daron

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »
Quote from: whdjr
...some small misc details that are xref'ed onto a layout tab (to scale) so as not to have to use a viewport (you know too many viewports equals too long waiting for regenerations).

It takes just as long to regen more referenced blocks as it does another viewport, but if you have very good layering standards, you can freeze off all the unnecessary layers pertaining to that viewport to speed up regeneration. I wrote a lisp that will use vplayer to freeze all layers, then thaw the one that was selected. I suppose I can hand it out if your interested. Speaking of regen speeds, try having multiple image files. Whooooooeeeee.

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 09:52:54 AM »
Quote from: Daron
It takes just as long to regen more referenced blocks as it does another viewport

I differ on that.  If you compare a layout tab with 5 viewports to one that has 5 details xref'ed onto the layout tab, the later will load much faster.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 10:14:10 AM »
I'm sooo confused. I read the poll results that indicate over twice as many prefer MS over PS, then read all the posts and it seems the other way round. Have I missed something???

i didn't vote in the pole because i always use both in doing a drawing so this doesn't really work as a poll question because most use both correct  :wink:

CADaver

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 11:23:25 AM »
Quote from: eloquintet
I'm sooo confused. I read the poll results that indicate over twice as many prefer MS over PS, then read all the posts and it seems the other way round. Have I missed something???

i didn't vote in the pole because i always use both in doing a drawing so this doesn't really work as a poll question because most use both correct  :wink:

Okay ... ?

I think that WAS the poll question (or at least I thought it was).  There are a bunch of folks out there who don't use PS at all, everything is in MS.  I thought that was what the MS side of the poll was looking for.

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »
yea...srry for the confustion...but i dont use any paper space...as a matter of fact..i try to avoid it most of the time...but when its neccessary i would use it. thanks for all your input.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 11:57:18 AM »
apparently they're are only a select few. based on our many discussions of the subject the standard seems to be model for drawing paper for plotting uh oh here's goes cadaver the quote master  :roll:  :lol:

dubb

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2004, 12:12:47 PM »
i understand why some might not vote on this pole is because they use paper to work in model...or they are in model 95% of the time and when they are done they plot in paper....it suprised me to see the percentages up on paperspace i may be considering taking the advantage of using paperspace....but it shouldnt be much different for me i used to use it at my other job. oh well.

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2004, 02:33:10 PM »
Quote from: dubb
... it suprised me to see the percentages up on paperspace i may be considering taking the advantage of using paperspace.....
It suprised me to see it so low.  I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason NOT to use PS.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2004, 03:18:57 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason NOT to use PS.

Can't count your nads twice and get the same answer?

I find it confusing a technology that clearly makes it easier to produced engineered documents is frequently thought of as difficult or complicated (it's neither) and is passed up for more convoluted, jury rigged "solutions" to achive the same net effect. While it could stand improvements, there's a reason we've been using it since its inception - it requires less effort to produce our deliverables (if I had to distil it down to one reason).
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2004, 03:26:46 PM »
Quote from: eloquintet
We use model for drawing and paper for printing period

Same here!

Everything is in model space! I only assemble drawings (ie. Title block, viewports) and print the final drawings from paperspace.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

Kate M

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2004, 04:01:17 PM »
How about a new poll, then: Where do you plot/put titleblocks?

CADaver

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2004, 06:38:19 PM »
Quote from: MP
Quote from: CADaver
I'm hard pressed to come up with a reason NOT to use PS.

Can't count your nads twice and get the same answer?

I find it confusing a technology that clearly makes it easier to produced engineered documents is frequently thought of as difficult or complicated (it's neither) and is passed up for more convoluted, jury rigged "solutions" to achive the same net effect. While it could stand improvements, there's a reason we've been using it since its inception - it requires less effort to produce our deliverables (if I had to distil it down to one reason).
Gee I thought I capitalized the word NOT.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2004, 06:44:13 PM »
I was agreeing with you RC. :)

HAGWE.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst