Author Topic: critique's requested  (Read 11679 times)

Bethrine

Re: critique's requested
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »
Thank you Keith. And I used Tim's sliding door off the dining room measurement at 6' (thank you Tim). I didn't get to everything but here's what I accomplished in my spare time today.

Tim, I am seeing a 2006 and a 2009 IRC code book. I'm thinking it is better to get the 2009? i.e.:

http://www.amazon.com/2006-International-Residential-Code-Council/dp/1580012531

http://www.homeinspector.org/store/details.aspx?id=336
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:00:23 PM by Bethrine »

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 08:23:30 PM »
it is beginning to look like something ;)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

Bethrine

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 06:35:33 AM »
Thanks Keith  :-) I now have the windows in and have messed with my pens but I can't get it to print ...monochrome? in black and white anyway. Grayscale? I'm missing something simple I think? Going to move onto counters and fixtures next  8-) or maybe elevations...?

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 07:31:19 AM »
I would say go for the 09 IRC.  It is starting to take shape.  One thing I would suggest when adding doors (swing)  If there is no wall for the door to "land" on  then only show the door open at 45 instead of 90.

Good point on the casing Keith.  I was going to point that out.  We use 4" for our space (in case we use wider casing)

One question for the ach. designers.  I notice on a lot of plans, the Master Bedroom is called out.  Is everyone else using this naming?  We use the term Owner's Bedroom.  I think it is more politically correct??
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 08:16:11 AM »
One question for the ach. designers.  I notice on a lot of plans, the Master Bedroom is called out.  Is everyone else using this naming?  We use the term Owner's Bedroom.  I think it is more politically correct??

We do and always have used the term "Master Bedroom".  I've seen "Owner's Bedroom" a few times before but not very common in my experience.
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:51 AM »
I'd never thought about it before, but now I wonder what *is* the origin of that term.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »
We always use Master Bedroom ... we use it to describe the sleeping room with the most amenities, frequently we will have a home with similar bedroom suites, and many times in those instances we will label them Master Suite n, with deference to the amenities provided in each. If all things are equal, we will simply label them Bedroom Suite.

People are smart enough to figure out which bedroom is for the head of household ... but I suppose old habits die hard

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
I'd never thought about it before, but now I wonder what *is* the origin of that term.

It could be that "Master" was used to signify the head of a large estate or household that had significant numbers of domestic workers.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »

It could be that "Master" was used to signify the head of a large estate or household that had significant numbers of domestic workers.

Exactly.  So for PCness we use the term Owners rather than Master.  As with Keith  we do label other rooms with similar features as Bedroom Suites, but there is only one Owners Suite/Bedroom.  Usually the largest of the sleeping rooms.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 08:48:25 AM »
Well, I would venture to guess that almost nobody knows this, and as such, being PC just creates another item that people can get their feelings twisted up over. I doubt there are many in today's society that commands the title "Master" as a way to demean others, and since "Master" also has several other origins, it could be one of the others as well. In fact, "Master" was also a title given to young men, and still is in formal situations.

I must admit though, being PC offends me, so my outlook on this may be tainted a bit.

James Cannon

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
My grandma used to use the title Master when writing/sending cards to me in my early teens... I was always a bit confused by it.  Never knew.

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »
I must admit though, being PC offends me, so my outlook on this may be tainted a bit.

I must agree w/ you one that.  Its along the line of the Confederate Fag.  living in Gettysburg you see it everywhere, but it still offends people.  "GET REAL"  Its part of history, good or bad,  get over it.

The head Arch. in our office lives an alternative lifestyle, so for him PC is everything and he pushes it through the office.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
Thanks Keith  :-) I now have the windows in and have messed with my pens but I can't get it to print ...monochrome? in black and white anyway. Grayscale? I'm missing something simple I think? Going to move onto counters and fixtures next  8-) or maybe elevations...?

You should be able to select the built in monochrome plot style since you are using color

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 12:27:14 PM »
Net free clear glazing (lighting) in "habitable" rooms should be 10% of the floor area of the room or combined rooms they serve.

Net free openable portions of windows and doors (ventilation) should be 5% of the floor area of the room  or combined rooms they serve.

Keith,  which code are you using for this?  2006 IRC 303.1 states:

not less that 8% of floor area for light and not less than 4% of floor area for ventilation?

Just wondering, that threw me the other day,  I want to check to 09 code to see if this has changed.

Thanks
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »
Ah .. yeah, about that ... you are correct .. it is 8%/4% in IRC even up to 2009 .. Even Florida (FBC) requires only 8/4, but we do alot of work in jurisdictions that are still using UBC and it does (or it used to) require 10%/5%

Sorry about that..