Author Topic: Speedy code  (Read 6653 times)

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Speedy code
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
Parallel Extensions help take advantage of multi-core processers, have a look here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=348F73FD-593D-4B3C-B055-694C50D2B0F3&displaylang=en

Sorry I can't help you with WPF, I try to stay as far away from WPF as possible  :-)

Draftek

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:57:24 AM »
You can 'embed' WPF into a windows forms project so you should be good to go there too.

ReneRam

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 05:18:16 AM »
Maybe going a little out of topic and getting you strongly relaying on the installed hardware, but take a look at this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#

I have been to workshop with some french nVidia engineers and in my office we're experimenting with this at the moment. Basically with Cuda and Parallel Extensions we're are trying to split the calculation work between the multicore CPU's and the nVidia GPU's :ugly:

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 06:33:42 AM »
Oh man, I do want one of those Tesla C1060 machines. I havn't played with Cuda yet, but I will soon.
Visual studio 2010 has a parallel library for .NET and native C++, unforunatly Acad does not play well with multible threads.

post some samples when you have them  :wink:

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 07:56:32 AM »
Woa, this Cuda is cool  8-)  :laugh:

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 08:09:21 AM »

ReneRam

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
Daniel as soon as possible, ...

post some samples when you have them

we're on CUDA for it's proper use: GRAPHICS, but what I meant was a little out of the box. With these engineers we talked about other uses. In my company we do a lot of environmental calculus for simulations, and the software's we have make a lot of use of CPU's and RAM, actually one of our softwares, developed in Germany, uses GRID computing, and the work that normally would take 15 days of calculus comes out in 3/4 days. The problem is that if the system stuck ...  :-( you won't know it until the end :cry:. We are now thinking and developing our own software that will use Parallel Extensions and CUDA. The idea we came out with was to use the GPU to do some work for us, that is not for the graphic output, OpenGL and Directx have a lot of functions that you can use without getting a graphical output. The same is with WPF, for what I have seen until now, still learning, and maybe I'm wrong, a "paint" method on control in a Windows form makes the whole form drawn, while the same thing done with WPF repaints only the control.
In any case, as soon as I come out with something, you'll see it

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 11:30:21 AM »
.. as soon as I come out with something, you'll see it

Awesome,  I downloaded the CUDA SDK and compiler, going to have a play this weekend.  8-)