Author Topic: Theory of Xreffing  (Read 8427 times)

M-dub

Theory of Xreffing
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm having a really rough time explaining to some people here what the theory of and Xref is.  Does anyone know of a site or any other literature that could do it for me?  I guess I'm looking for Xrefs for Dummies  :lol:.
I suppose I could benefit from it as well because we currently do not have anything in our standards regarding Xrefs and while I understand them, putting them into words seems to be a problem....or maybe the words are fine, but there's a problem on the receiving end.???

Dent Cermak

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 02:32:28 PM »
Just tell them it's like a temporary block insertion without using up all of your memory. Anything beyond that will confuse them, bless their hearts.
Or perhaps explaining it in French would be clearer to them, bless their hearts.

M-dub

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 02:37:51 PM »
Quote from: Dent Cermak
Just tell them it's like a temporary block insertion without using up all of your memory. Anything beyond that will confuse them, bless their hearts.
Or perhaps explaining it in French would be clearer to them, bless their hearts.

Thanks Dent, but I'm a little further ahead than that!  Let's not get onto the French thing!  I don't know if anyone at this site speaks French at all!

ELOQUINTET

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »
let's see an xref is like a mister potatoehead. you can change mister potatoeheads appearance by giving him glasses or a funny moustache or...well i think you get it  :P why are some autocad concept so hard for people to understand... dunno

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:38:36 PM »
It's nothing more than a block definition that dynamically updates to reflect the external definition (a separate drawing).

But I like what Dan said way better.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 03:46:49 PM »
An Xref is like a block, in that it acts as a single entity, but it is updated from the file when the drawing is opened. The geometry of the xref is not stored in the drawing it is referenced into, rather, it is read from the file and displayed in the current drawing and a placeholder, much like an insert, is used to reference the xref.
The xref is reloaded upon opening the drawing, thereby incorporating any changes made to the base xref file into the referenced file.
The xref can put into a drawing in a manner that will prevent it from being visible if the referencing drawing is inserted or xrefed into another drawing.
Layers within Xrefs can be manipulated independently of the layers within the host drawing, even if the layer name is exactly the same.

If I had to make a judgement, I would say that idea behind the xref is to make a way in which users can incorporate portions of their drawings into other drawings without the overhead of having to update them everytime a change is made to the base drawing. Also it alows multiple users to reference the same drawing and as a result multiple users have the exact geometry to work with.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

• Bull Frog
Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »
Ce n'est rien d'autre qu'une définition de bloc qui actualise dynamiquement pour refléter la définition externe (un dessin séparé).

:shock:
Alastair Mallett Autodesk Certified Professional
Technical Director
Hunters South Architects

Dent Cermak

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 08:35:54 PM »
oui!!!

M-dub

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 08:01:57 AM »
Thanks everyone, but I think I like Keith's better...although they would probably be able to relate to Mr. PotatoHead a little easier :roll:

I will post each draft of the new portion of the standard for everyone to review...Don't hold your breath for it though...I'm Swamped!  (no pun intended) ;)

M-dub

Theory of Xreffing
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 08:30:12 AM »
Hmm...ok

Anyone have any suggestions on where to START?  I just started jotting down a few things in point form for now, but I don't know how to begin the paragraph in the standard.  :?

(I've just decided that I'm leaving at noon!  It's a happy Friday here anyway...hardly ANYONE here!)