Author Topic: Which is worse?  (Read 22324 times)

KewlToyZ

Re: Which is worse?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 09:16:45 AM »
Existing standards: People dont/wont change.
If they have standards why do they need to change?

They will always have to evolve to keep up with an exponential growth in data complexity and design intelligence.
Of course I use that term loosely with most architects  :lol:

KewlToyZ

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2009, 09:23:05 AM »

Change is unavoidable. For example, the Army no longer caries muskets and rides horseback. New technologies, advancing deadlines, etc all urge change.
So you assume that existing standards are equivalent to ball and musket and must be changed?  hmmm... standard doesn't seem very "standard".

[voiceover author=Steve Irwin]
Here we see the voracious swamp troll stalking it's prey, slavering at the mouth at the sight of delicious meals to be had.  These creatures feed not on flesh or marrow or vegetation as most do, but consume the very interest and enjoyment that any discussions may yield.  The interesting thing to note is these creatures are still considered scavengers, though they must hunt for their feasts.

We see this swamp troll stalking an otherwise benign and ontopic thread first by trying to separate some members from the herd.  They use distraction and bait to attempt separation at which point the troll will jump and sink in it's teeth, slaying any ability for the thread to continue in it's natural ways.  This leaves the herd confused, and will then wander off, original topic left either dead or unaddressed.

Let's watch what happens as this troll tries for a meal!
[/voiceover]

"Crikey look at the fangs on that one!"

craigr

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »
When all of you talk about standards what type of standards are you talking about?  Drawing Standards? Industry standards?  Or what how to sit at your desk standard?

We always Continuous improve our Standards.  Part of our way of doing things.  If we have a better idea or have a better way of doing things quicker easier and for the better there is always room for continuous improvement.  We need to cut waste from everything we do!!!

I agree standards are needed.  But they need to be continuously improved with the new technologies that come out in new software releases year after year after year.

Anybody still using the same standard that they had when Autocad 12 was popular?  No more no less?  I guess no.  Some of the base standards are there but I guarantee with the evolution of software there needs to be evolution or continuous improvement of standards.

VERY well Put!!

SOME of our standards change as our products change, but the basics don't, ie - snap is always set at .05, wire are trimmed at intersections, we always have our TitleBlock in PSpace, our Main layer is layer '0', etc...

When everyone sticks to standards, it helps with making some macros work, because I know what I have to work with in our dwgs. For us, macros save us a huge amount of time.

craigr

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
Here we see the voracious swamp troll stalking it's prey, slavering at the mouth at the sight of delicious meals to be had.  These creatures feed not on flesh or marrow or vegetation as most do, but consume the very interest and enjoyment that any discussions may yield.  The interesting thing to note is these creatures are still considered scavengers, though they must hunt for their feasts.

We see this swamp troll stalking an otherwise benign and ontopic thread first by trying to separate some members from the herd.  They use distraction and bait to attempt separation at which point the troll will jump and sink in it's teeth, slaying any ability for the thread to continue in it's natural ways.  This leaves the herd confused, and will then wander off, original topic left either dead or unaddressed.

[/voiceover]

Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »

[/voiceover]

[Larry the Cable Guy]

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.....  :lmao:

[/Larry the Cable Guy]
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »

[/voiceover]

:-D
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

CADaver

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 07:02:40 PM »
Well, one reason could be that they're really poor standards.  Just because "It's always been done like that" doesn't make it right.
So you're assuming that if they have standards they are poor, or just inferior to yours?

I have my own words in my mouth.  I don't need yours stuffed in there with them.

They key word in my hypothetical post was "Could".
Those were your words.  You assumed that existing standards needed to change, when pressed for a reason for that requirement you offered one reason.  I'm still wondering why you assumed the existing standards require change.

CADaver

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »

Change is unavoidable. For example, the Army no longer caries muskets and rides horseback. New technologies, advancing deadlines, etc all urge change.
So you assume that existing standards are equivalent to ball and musket and must be changed?  hmmm... standard doesn't seem very "standard".
Would you prefer Pen's and Silk then?

You adamant in arguing this aren't you?
I'm not arguing anything at all.  I'm attempting to discover why you originally assumed existing company standards need to be changed.  They may indeed need change, or they may not.  I've worked several places with standards (manual, whatever) in place, some needed change some did not, and I've worked at places with no stanrds at all.  If you wish to employ standards it is considerably easier to do for places that have standards in place (already employed).

CADaver

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 07:13:10 PM »
and will then wander off, original topic left either dead or unaddressed.
Gee funny... and added "what" to the topic?

CADaver

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

They will always have to evolve to keep up with an exponential growth in data complexity and design intelligence.
Of course I use that term loosely with most architects  :lol:
And why would that not be part of the existing company standards?  (See thread topic)

CADaver

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 07:17:46 PM »
When all of you talk about standards what type of standards are you talking about?  Drawing Standards? Industry standards?  Or what how to sit at your desk standard?

We always Continuous improve our Standards.  Part of our way of doing things.  If we have a better idea or have a better way of doing things quicker easier and for the better there is always room for continuous improvement.  We need to cut waste from everything we do!!!

I agree standards are needed.  But they need to be continuously improved with the new technologies that come out in new software releases year after year after year.

Anybody still using the same standard that they had when Autocad 12 was popular?  No more no less?  I guess no.  Some of the base standards are there but I guarantee with the evolution of software there needs to be evolution or continuous improvement of standards.

VERY well Put!!

SOME of our standards change as our products change, but the basics don't, ie - snap is always set at .05, wire are trimmed at intersections, we always have our TitleBlock in PSpace, our Main layer is layer '0', etc...

When everyone sticks to standards, it helps with making some macros work, because I know what I have to work with in our dwgs. For us, macros save us a huge amount of time.

craigr
Great discussion on why standards need to keep up with technology, which has nothing at all to do with the thread topic.

In light of the thread topic, which is preferred a company with or without standards?

CADaver

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »