Author Topic: Support of various AutoCAD / LT across multiple offices through reg files  (Read 6294 times)

New Shooz

Does anyone have experience of writing anything that will be able to ascertain what version of AutoCAD and/or AutoCAD LT is loaded on a machine ?

Based on the result; it will then create an appropriate .reg file which will install itself onto the machine; which will set all the search paths which point to a centralised store of CAD / plotting standardisation.

Ideally, whatever is developed will be as end-user idiot-proof as possible.

Bearing in mind, that this is for a work environment, which is reasonably fastened down by IT protocols/policies.

I could do it reasonably simply if everyone was using the same version of AutoCAD; but we have people using (amongst others) AutoCAD 2009, LT2008, LT2007, etc etc.
We do not have any LT extending capabilities so the use of lsp, vba, etc is out of the question.

All help will be greatly received.

Alan Cullen

Blue...convince your bosses to get on subscription...then take over the installation of the new releases...then your problem will be halved. Sorry, mate......I'll keep an eye on this one. Best of luck mate.  :-)

New Shooz

Hehe I wish I could Alan.
There are hundreds of people within the offices I have responsibility for, who 'use' CAD; so I need to support them as well as the dedicated CAD team.
There must be someone out there who can assist me ?

CHulse

• Swamp Rat

Not that I know exactly how you would do this...but could you use a Batch file to read the registry and get the version that is installed?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Shinyhead

Doesn't cad manager tools have that ability?

Make sure you installed it with an autocad full installation and look for Autodesk product manager.

Shinyhead

Note though that I believe you will have to be logged in to a full administrative account to pull it off.

New Shooz

I have no control over how AutoCAD or LT is installed; as all these 'seat's are pre-installed by a centralised remote IT team.
Even on my machine, CAD Manager Tools have not been installed, nor do I expect them to be so.
My biggest problem is how to recognise which version of the software (full version or LT, AND year of version) is on which machine.

Shinyhead

beat them with a stick to install it, it does exactly that for all installed autodesk products, listing install location, name and version and service packs installed.
Takes seconds and you get a nice tabled report

New Shooz

Would that give me the function of tailoring a reg file to suit each individual installation without me having to think too much; i.e. I really don't want to create a separate reg file for each version of the software

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Would that give me the function of tailoring a reg file to suit each individual installation without me having to think too much; i.e. I really don't want to create a separate reg file for each version of the software

That would be handled by the Deployment that you create for the products...
create the Deployment, Customize as required, then install to the workstations....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

New Shooz

The installations are already 'out there'. IT handles everything that is installed. They won't even talk to me about me having an input.

I guess what I would like to achieve is almost unachievable given the constraints I'm under ?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
The installations are already 'out there'. IT handles everything that is installed. They won't even talk to me about me having an input.

I guess what I would like to achieve is almost unachievable given the constraints I'm under ?

Time for the Art of (Gorilla) Diplomacy!

An email to yourself sent from outside the company...
And BCC the IT folks suggesting that they use or employ the Deployment Wizard, and perhaps even Enterprise CUI's.
BCC someone really important that cares about productivity and profits....
and be sure to point out how these measures can or should increase productivity or profits through more efficient software utilization.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

New Shooz

Thing is, I have to tread reasonably lightly (though at the same time, I want to make a difference here) as I only joined the company just over 3 weeks ago.
It didn't take me long to work out what needs 'fixing'.

Next stage is do they really want it fixing ?
Or are they happy with the current status quo ?